Appetizers to bring to a friends hous?

Options
I have a party to go to at a friends house and I would like to bring a healthy appetizer that is not veggies and dip? Any suggestions or receptor ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You might want to clarify what you mean by "healthy" -- low calorie, high protein, high fiber, minimally processed, low sodium, low fat -- all of these would fit definitions of "healthy" as they are used by different people.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    many years ago, a runner friend of mine introduced me to tabbouleh and I have never looked back. Easy to make and delicious.

that said, lots of people have different ideas what constitutes nutritious food. I once did a salmon moose piped onto cucumber slices instead of crackers. I topped it with a little caviar. Very tasty. Some would say the cream cheese in the moose was "bad". Meh. I ate great the day of the party and came in under my calorie budget and nailed all my macros. I had several of the cuke-moose treats.

tomato slices with a little bit of moz. cheese plus fresh basil and a touch of olive oil is banging good. You can stuff just about any good sized grape tomato with all sorts of nutritious and tasty bits. You can do fruit balls on sticks. Just google "healthy appetizer" and the ideas will come poppin.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You might want to clarify what you mean by "healthy" -- low calorie, high protein, high fiber, minimally processed, low sodium, low fat -- all of these would fit definitions of "healthy" as they are used by different people.

And also define appetizer.

Is this a movie night, buffet, bbq, dinner party?

ETA: I see you say party, but it's still open to interpretation. Please clarify the type of party.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much time you have but try turkey meatballs. Put them on a toothpick with little bit of cheese and cherry tomato. It's a delicious bite sized appetizer. It's also good cold. I have my favourite recipe here on MFP blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/GsKiki/view/turkey-meatballs-789223

Or lettuce roll ups. Simply clean some bigger lettuce leaves, dry them completely. Put a little bit of cream cheese, then ham, carrots, cucumbers, and roll up. Cut them in sushi sized bites. You can also do the same thing but rolling everything in a wrap.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I've tried almost all of these appetizers Skinnytaste Appetizers and not one has been bad.

My family and friends love the Asian turkey meatballs, the buffalo chicken meatballs, buffalo chicken dip, the baked jalapeno poppers, tostones, spinach and artichoke dip, hot queso dip, and a lot more. Delicious!
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I always bring veggies and a slightly spicy dip and it is always one of the few apps that always gets completely eaten.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm always the one to bring a veggie tray and I do 6 or 7 veg on it with hummus and ranch to dip in. It's always the only app completely demolished when it's a party of several people. Another popular one that a friend brings is Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip that I'm pretty sure is on the skinny taste site. It's delicious and you can do veg and crackers with it. I know you said not dip but it's always very popular and not a traditional type of dip.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I've brought mini stuffed peppers many times. Cut the peppers in half and flatten them. I fill them with whatever shredded meat I feel like making (pulled pork, shredded chicken, shredded beef) and top it with almond cheese and pickled jalapeno . So good!
  • michelea973
    michelea973 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you...I forgot about stuffed peppers. I love them but I nebber think to bring them anywhere.
  • michelea973
    michelea973 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. This is the first full day I'm here. I will go look at the skinny taste site. I'm still getting used to my fitness pal. Thank you.
  • androidcd
    androidcd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I took Caprese bites to a christmas dinner party, and people went for them! I just used small mozzarella balls, cherry tomatoes, a sprig of fresh basil each on a toothpick, and then drizzled balsamic vinaigrette on them. I wasn't sure if they would be eaten or not, but they were a hit in my circle!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my friends are only interested in the booze you bring.

and... munchies. ;)
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Pitta bread and spinach dip.