Dieting and monthly girly cycles ;)

Options
Ok, so I'm relatively new to this... I posted yesterday to say hello to you all and also vented my frustrations about losing an acceptable amount of weight within the 2/3 weeks I have been doing my calorie control and exercising more than normal but in the last 2 days I have put on 5lb! I have stuck to my calorie goal every day and have walked 8.5 miles in the last two days and I couldn't understand how I have gained so much! Someone told me about the time of your cycle during the month, and I think the beginning of mine is in about 5 days. Does this stand to reason why I could have gained so much in such a small space of time? I want to power through this but it's a bit discouraging to see that weight gain when I have tried so hard! Can anybody shed some more light on what women go through and does anybody else have experience of this? Thank you :)

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Of course. It definately could
    be pms bloat. Just ignore it.
  • samanthamccartney1
    samanthamccartney1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My size is smaller from my measurements so it just didn't make sense that I was getting smaller physically and getting bigger weight-wise! Thank you for your reply :)
  • Sheks41191
    Sheks41191 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world - I posted about this earlier.

My weight went up - is now back to what is was a week ago, I'm in a slightly different boat as I am on pills for endometriosis and have breakthrough bleeding.

Going through that now and the scale is either up or at the same weight - as soon as it's over you will see the drop.

I don't know how it makes you feel but I get discouraged and feel like giving up - I have terrible will power.

Just power through it and know that it will right itself.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My water weight fluctuates pretty wildly around my period. For instance, I ate at maintenance over the weekend, and have gained 4.5 pounds since Friday haha. PMS is such a pain! Just know that if you're sticking to your plan, it is just water weight, and will go away soon :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If I promise to answer yes it's due to your hormones will you promise to never use the phrase 'monthly girly cycles' again

:)
  • samanthamccartney1
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    If I promise to answer yes it's due to your hormones will you promise to never use the phrase 'monthly girly cycles' again

Haha rabbitjb... I promise to never use that phrase again ;) didn't want anyone to get squeamish (me!!). After 3 children, you would think I would be able to use the usual words for things but I turn into a 13 year old ;)

Thank you all for your replies. It's now firmly in my head to continue!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You'll have to observe what is normal for you. It is likely normal water retention though.
    Normal for me has been to maintain or gain a couple of lbs that go away after my period. In the past I have gained as much as 5 lbs but more recently it is 1 lb. I watch my sodium intake more these days so that might help.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Increase in exercise can cause water retention. And yes, period and ovulation both do it for me. So it could be a combination of both.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Haha rabbitjb... I promise to never use that phrase again ;) didn't want anyone to get squeamish (me!!). After 3 children, you would think I would be able to use the usual words for things but I turn into a 13 year old ;)

Thank you all for your replies. It's now firmly in my head to continue!

We have threads on cyclic weight gain almost daily. It's interested what code words women put in the title. The male regulars are used to these threads.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    yes. My weight goes crazy during about 10 days around that time. I still weigh myself to see what its doing, but I have gained up to 8lbs of water. It all drops off a few days after everything is said and done though, and if I have been good and not given in to my chocolate cravings and stuck to my calories I even lose an extra pound.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Not to state the obvious, but you do know you aren't gaining 4-5 lbs of fat overnight, right? It's just the weight of the water that your body retains at certain times and sheds at others. I'm finding it nearly impossible to get an accurate weigh-in due to my cyclical changes, so you really have to look at your weight trends over time.
  • samanthamccartney1
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Not to state the obvious, but you do know you aren't gaining 4-5 lbs of fat overnight, right? It's just the weight of the water that your body retains at certain times and sheds at others. I'm finding it nearly impossible to get an accurate weigh-in due to my cyclical changes, so you really have to look at your weight trends over time.

I was hoping not! I've never really dieted before and I just couldn't understand it! Now I know that it isn't just me and that I'm not abnormal so I can continue with my dieting and exercise and hopefully have a pleasant surprise when it's over :)

Thank you all for your help, it has really spurred me on and helped me understand why I'm gaining weight :)