Indian tonight - help?

Options
I want to log what I am going to eat at an Indian restaurant this evening so I know how much work I need to do at the gym (!) but can't find what I want listed anywhere. Can anyone help?

I'm planning on having:

1 poppadom with mango chutney

A dry vegetable curry (so very little oil) and plain rice

Thank you in advance for your help! :-)

Replies

• jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    saag aloo, very nice and all veg!!
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    I had indian last night...

2 Poppadoms
    1 Chicken Biryani with Vegetable Curry
    Spinach side dish (can't remember the indian name for it)
    and a 1/4 of a chilli naan....

Weight this morning, up a pound :-)

and the plus, I only ate half of it all, so brought it home and got the rest tonight :-)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Chicken tikka (without the sauce like you get in tikka massala) makes a good starter or main. I had that, plain rice and tarka dhal last time, and that came in quite low.
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    restaurant cooked curry is HIGH in calories. anything with a sauce, especially a creamy one is HIGH HIGH HIGH. Unless you have boiled rice and dry meat or veg, you can bet your life it's about 900 cals minimum :-( which was a gutter to me!
  • jennsie
    jennsie Posts: 38
    Options
    I'd say it's about 600-700 calories. Perhaps you can share the rice with someone? I love curry too - very spicy ones - so I'll share rice with my boyfriend and sometimes just get a whole meal to share between us. But we usually get one main dish each and one rice to share.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    A poppadom is about 80-90 cals, and the chutney is about 60 per teaspoon.

Plain rice will probably set you back about 200-300 cals and a veggie curry about 300-400 depending on the amount of oil used.

So all in all, I'd guesstimate it all at about 800 calories, maybe a little more depending on portion sizes etc. Enjoy your meal!
  • shivers42
    shivers42 Posts: 20
    Options
    Indian restaurants generally do a nice tandoori grill, if you had that with extra salad and a bit of rice you should be around 600 I reckon....
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    1 poppadom with mango chutney - dinner plate sized poppadom =80-100 calories, mango chutney = 40-60 cals per tablespoon

A dry vegetable curry (so very little oil) and plain rice - veg curry no sauce 250 calories but add 60 calories per spoonful of oil, plain boiled rice 200 calories per cupful.
  • kumarprabhat
    kumarprabhat Posts: 116
    Options
    It would be around 800-900 cals.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think your choices are good! You can really get any vegetable curry so long as it is not cream based. Personally I skip on the rice these days as I find a big vegetable curry fills me up a treat. I don't even think of that as a bad meal because it's just a ton of vegetables, and more oil than I'd like but still a relatively ok calorie meal.
  • MaryElizabeth84
    Options
    I just checked the restaurant website and they do a veg curry stir fried with pilau rice, with the sauce on the side, so I think I'll go for that and not have much of the sauce.

I actually hate oily curries, when I lived in London I'd have curry at least once a week on Brick Lane and found a place that did me a dry one, and I had a little mango chutney with it.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your meal! I think your choices are great :)
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    ah brick Lane, can't beat it!
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Good lord I LOVE Indian. I always go to a good local buffet and get a little of everything. I can't just eat one or two things. How was your dinner?
  • Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm having Indian tomorrow and I have read that Chana Masala is low in calories, it is tomato based and made mostly of chick peas from what I understand.