WATER - Myth or Fact????

Options
HI guys,

I just wanted to sound you out about this. 2 years ago I lost 42lb in 4 months through healthy eating and increased exercise and all I can say is that I drank water, but not in excess (probably 2-3 glasses a day). Unfortunately I gained 18lb back last year through being lazy and greedy. However this year I thought - come on get back in the game!! I started MFP in January this year and I have been eating well, exercising and drinking LOADS of water (approx 2-3 ltrs oer day) and I have found my weight loss to be slow but sure.

I thought I would try an experiment the last 2 weeks and cut down the water, only having a glass or 2 per day, and already I have gone from losing approx 0.5-1lb per week to losing 3lb??

This is making me wonder, is the water drinking theory a myth?? or does my body work differently to everyone else??

I understand that water works for lots of people, and this is mearly just a personal rant.

Thanks, Louise xx

Replies

• estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem, the more I drink, I can actually feel my body (especially lower half) blow up with water!!
  • sd892310
    sd892310 Posts: 151
    Options
    Thats exactly the same for me too!! All it seems to do is make my belly swell and go to the toilet all the time. Have been drinking 2 - 3 litres a day now for approx 3/4months and weight loss has been sooooo slow! Don't have any advice on this, but hoping that some other MFP members will be able to help us out on this one!
  • emmamolly
    emmamolly Posts: 17
    Options
    ive been wondering about this to...

Ive been drinking 2 litres a day and this week didnt lose.. ive only just started drinking that amount each day to (last week and half)
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    It is EXTREMELY unlikely that water will adversely affect your weight loss - I'd say impossible but there's bound to be somebody on here with a bizarre allergy to water who may prove me wrong. It's probably something else that is the problem...

As for the bloating, have you been drinking tap water or mineral? Tap water can be pumped with chemicals and other things to purify it, and maybe that's what you're reacting to, try mineral for a while, or get a filter and see if that helps.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I regularly drink 3+ litres of water per day plus coffee/tea etc and haven't lost an ounce. However I have always drunk lots of water but having read some of the comments I think I might try cutting back a bit!

B x
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I drink 4-5 litres per day and my numbers speak for themselves (however I always have to have a loo near by! :laugh:). I don't know if water retention is more or less significant in women or men but also if your sodium intake is high that could contribute.
  • hrbaker1
    hrbaker1 Posts: 4
    Options
    When your fully hydrated you will weigh more, and when you are dehydrated you will weigh less. The main benefit drinking water will have with weight loss is the fact that it is an appetite suppresant, so it may help you avoid slipping up with your diet.

Boxers often wear sweat suits in saunas to lose as much water as they can so that they lose a few lbs so they can meet the weight requirments for their desired class.

If you keep well hydrated you may weigh a few more lbs but fully hydrated muscles will perform better, therefore you will be able to train harder and burn more calories!

Also our bodys are 50 - 60% water, so the varience of water or fluid intake will have a massive impact on your weight.

This is my view after a fair bit of experience as a personal trainer and nutrional advisor. Hope this helps!

:-) :-)
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options
    Assuming your salt intake is constant... It's probably water retention due to glycogen stores.

If you were to deplete glycogen from muscle and liver I'm sure you guys would be peeing non-stop...

It could also be the female endocrine system... the one subject in my Endocrinology class I went brain dead through.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way hun. I feel better when I drink a ton of water, but if I slack on water, I find that I dont feel as bloated and I weigh less. I dunno, I know water is GREAT for you so I cant knock it, but I also know I weigh less when I drink less (obviously) LOL!
  • mizfrankie
    mizfrankie Posts: 100
    Options
    I drink 4-5 litres per day and my numbers speak for themselves (however I always have to have a loo near by! :laugh:). I don't know if water retention is more or less significant in women or men but also if your sodium intake is high that could contribute.

This is what I was thinking too.
  • louiseshields
    louiseshields Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im still drinking water, I havent stopped all together, Im just not drinking as much - I thought I was maybe retaining when I overdose on water, lol x
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options
    I don't know for sure, and haven't researched it or anything, but maybe you are losing more because you are dehydrated? I know that when I was sick last year with pneumonia I was severely dehydrated (for like 2 months, not just a few days) and lost a ton of weight because I had no water in me (this is directly from my doctor; he told me that) So maybe you are dropping bigger numbers because you don't have much water in you... The body is 60% water after all!

Like I said though, I don't know for sure, this is just what comes to mind :) I say do whatever is working for you and making you feel healthiest :)

The OP probably isn't severely dehydrated but as I mentioned retaining water is proportional to the amount of glycogen stored. So it's more than likely she has lost a bit of water weight. If she drinks water she will gain that water weight right back.

What is a way to prove this? Have no carbs for 3 days and use up all your glycogen... you will pee out a bunch of water. I've done this and that's exactly what happened.

Water is required for a lot of metabolic processes so it's important to drink a comfortable amount.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You have to drink lots of water every day. If you drink loads one day and next to nothing the next, your body will retain the water thinking it won't get any more. Consistency is the key!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    The 8 glasses of water a day rule is somewhat misleading. A large percentage (30-40 %?) of your water intake comes from solid foods. If you are drinking so much that it makes you feel bad, and have the need to constantly go potty..... think about it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    When your fully hydrated you will weigh more, and when you are dehydrated you will weigh less. The main benefit drinking water will have with weight loss is the fact that it is an appetite suppresant, so it may help you avoid slipping up with your diet.

Boxers often wear sweat suits in saunas to lose as much water as they can so that they lose a few lbs so they can meet the weight requirments for their desired class.

If you keep well hydrated you may weigh a few more lbs but fully hydrated muscles will perform better, therefore you will be able to train harder and burn more calories!

Also our bodys are 50 - 60% water, so the varience of water or fluid intake will have a massive impact on your weight.

This is my view after a fair bit of experience as a personal trainer and nutrional advisor. Hope this helps!

Yep, this is spot on.

If your focus is on fat loss (in other words improving body composition and looking better) as opposed to weight loss then water is your friend.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Yep, this is spot on.

If your focus is on fat loss (in other words improving body composition and looking better) as opposed to weight loss then water is your friend.

Very well said that man!
  • hrbaker1
    hrbaker1 Posts: 4
    Options

Yep, this is spot on.

Very well said that man!

• lisa_lotte
    lisa_lotte Posts: 216
    Options
    This is a great article on water and weight loss:

http://www.shapeupshop.com/weightloss/water-weight-loss.html

Lisa
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Hi, there are a lot of so called myths that work for one and not another, I also question the water thing, but guess its healthy so continue to do it.

:glasses: