So today is my birthday...

Options
Free day or no? That is the wisdom question; what would you do?

Replies

• missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Depending on what my plans were, I'd probably try to stay reasonable most of the day, then splurge on a nice dinner and dessert.

And happy birthday!!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My birthday was Saturday. I had ice cream. Last night my girlfriend took me out, I ordered a grilled fish but had a bud light and a Hurricane. came home recorded all of it, was over my calories by 400, rode my bike for 40 minutes and I was over it. Totally worth it

Oh and happy Birthday
  • jlc102980
    jlc102980 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Whether you take the day off completely, track everything but eat what you want, skip a workout, or just go about your normal day -- do what makes you feel best, then move on.

Also, happy birthday!
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It's my birthday as well! I'm just eating today as I usually do, but I celebrated on Saturday and used it as a free day. One day of having a nice meal and not worrying about calories is a good thing, I think.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!!

Mine is always a free day (we typically go out anyway) and hopefully coincides with back day at the gym.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! I always have a planned free day for my bday...but it might not be ON my actual bday. Sometimes i wait for the weekend.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!! Mine is tomorrow and I'm planning on indulging a bit. I'm bringing some fancy cupcakes from a local bakery to work for my bday treat and I'm definitely having one. Other than that, though I do not have any plans to indulge. HOWEVER, the reason for that is because my hubby is working on eating healthy and has no interest in blowing his day just because it's my bday (totally don't blame him). Since I have to cook healthy for him and the kiddos anyway, I might as well eat healthy myself. Maybe I'll have two cupcakes. It is my bday, afterall :)
  • C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

Mine always falls on or near Super Bowl weekend. This year is no exception. It'll be a free-for-all...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Birthday calories don't count :D

Truthfully, though, going over for a special occasion (birthdays and holidays) isn't a big deal. It's treating every other day as a special occasion that can cause problems.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!

For me it really depends on whether there's something I really want to eat or not, and if it can fit in my calories or not.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

I would still log but not worry too much if I go over. I would definitely have cake and probably a drink or two.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Happy Birthday! I usually plan ahead during the week so that I can indulge on my birthday. That way I even though I'll probably go over my count, the overage isn't as significant as it could be. IOW, it's not a regular day PLUS birthday celebration on top, it's just a splurge over normal target.

Oh, and I log it no matter what.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday! My birthday isn't here yet, but around the holidays it's obviously a special occasion and I ate food that I normally wouldn't eat in quantities that I normally wouldn't eat. I just logged it all and moved on - tried to keep my portions reasonable and stopped eating when I felt full. Still felt totally satisfied and "indulged" without consuming some unheard of amount of food just because it was a special occasion. Make sure to enjoy your birthday and get back on track tomorrow! :smile:
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!! I never have a "free day". I log, even if I go far beyond my calorie allotment. I would definitely have a big slice of cake, champagne or whatever you consider as celebratory foods, but be mindful that it is a special day and log it correctly. I would never skip a workout on an indulgent food day - and probably try to do a few extra minutes, to boot.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday! I'm team free day, but still log everything. I consumed 4000 calories on my birthday and I started back up on a deficit the next day.
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    jlc102980 wrote: »
    It's one day. Whether you take the day off completely, track everything but eat what you want, skip a workout, or just go about your normal day -- do what makes you feel best, then move on.
    This is sound advise here. Happy Birthday!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday - I would say log it all in and eat whatever you want and don't worry if you go over...
  • ledzeppelinfan1
    ledzeppelinfan1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    UPDATE:

Thanks everyone for the advice and happy birthday to those whose is also today or imminent. :)

So went to Sonic and had an indulgent tryst with a couple burgers, some fries, a large Coke, and half a large shake. Yeah well, 2975 calories later I can confidently tell you i feel like *kitten* and will be much more sensible the rest of the day.

Honestly, that wasn't even fun anymore. And that makes me happy as I've had this suspicion that I've truly been making some long term improvements.

Anyways, thanks again. :-)
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ...and there you go. :)
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Have A Good Time, Eat Mindfully And You'll Be Ok.