Salad tips and tricks

Options
We always buy pre-bagged salad mox but because of the Dole recall there was NO salad mix when we went shopping yesterday.
So considering making a salad but how long will it last in the fridge and how do I store it??

What are some other ingredients I can use in it? I'm thinkin onions and carrots but that's it so far :/ and how would I know the caloric value?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    To determine the caloric value of a vegetable: weigh it and pull up the database entry for the vegetable/fruit.
  • donutbears
    donutbears Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can wash your greens, strain out excess water in a colander, then store in tupperware to keep fresh. When you want to make a salad, just pull out your tupperware and use those greens. Don't add any dressing on them until you want to eat them so they stay fresh longer.

You can also make salads in jars and place the dressing at the bottom with veggies that won't wilt (carrots, broccoli, etc).
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    By weight is usually the easiest, but I find that veggies don't have loads of calories so I usually ignore them. It's the dressings/cheeses/croutons/dried fruits that kill you.
  • jessicaeccles
    jessicaeccles Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love putting almonds and fresh fruits in my salads! spinach, baby kale, almonds, cut up strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries with balsamic vinegar and lemon juice is one of my favorites to have!
  • YogaPup
    YogaPup Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use spinach or mixed greens lettuce. These are some toppings I have ready to select from: carrots, sunflower seeds, walnuts, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red bell pepper, avocado, low fat shredded cheese.

If you want more nutrients and calories you can add a teaspoon of trader joes ancient grain mix ( chia seeds, buckwheat, flax... they sell different types of mixes!)

For dressings I use either Balsamic, Red Wine Vinegar, Light Ranch or Light Buffalo Ranch.

I have made an awesome Spinach salad with chopped up red onions in balsamic dressing (let it soak together in the fridge!) Add some strawberries, and walnuts and mozzarella cheese.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Bagged salads are so overpriced and their shelf life is extremely short. I buy a bag of romaine hearts every week (there's three in the pack). On Sunday, I wash them and allow them to air dry, then chop them up. I pre-bag my five daily salads on Sunday. The rest of the lettuce, I put in a large bag with a paper towel and use for dinners. My daily lunch salad baggie has lettuce, grape tomatoes and shredded carrots. I then chop up and add a hard-boiled egg and dressing right before I eat it.