vegan for a day?

Options
Hello
I was looking at the vegan lifestyle, I like it for the fact it saves animal lives and stops them dying. I have been looking into this vegan and stop the exploitation of animals.
I was worried how I would get my protein, I found meat less meat which contains roughly the same amount of protein in meat.
I was wanting to try a vegan based diet for a day or a week. I do not know how my family will react.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegans get their protein not just from faux meat products but from beans, grains, vegetables, and foods like tofu and tempeh.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    plus lots of fibre as well
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you do it for a day, chances are they won't even notice. Did you have a question?
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You should do it. It's only one day. Tell your family that the inhumane treatment of animals by the factory farming industry makes you very sad. What are they gonna do, tell you to hush up? On the contrary, I've heard lots of vegans say their relatives have adopted their dietary choices - whether for a meal, for a day, etc.

Protein should be the least of your worries. Make sure you're getting B12, Vit D, and even calcium. Good luck and great avatar. I think even he is a vegan these days.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    If you do it for a day, chances are they won't even notice. Did you have a question?

Yes how do you feel after becoming vegan. Do you feel better
  • AsrarHussain
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You should do it. It's only one day. Tell your family that the inhumane treatment of animals by the factory farming industry makes you very sad. What are they gonna do, tell you to hush up? On the contrary, I've heard lots of vegans say their relatives have adopted their dietary choices - whether for a meal, for a day, etc.

Protein should be the least of your worries. Make sure you're getting B12, Vit D, and even calcium. Good luck and great avatar. I think even he is a vegan these days.

I do not like the way animals are being exploited.I was watching a documentary called cowspiracy that's not a spelling error its on Netflix, it shows how animal's are being exploited . I am a Muslim and Asian so we eat lots of animal products.
    I'm also trying to eat more wholesome food.
    Thanks mike tyson is a vegan also I think.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Here is a group for people eating plant based: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The animals are still going to die whether you eat them or not.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yes how do you feel after becoming vegan. Do you feel better

Some people feel better. Some people feel the same. Some people feel worse. There are many different ways to eat vegan, so there isn't any single response.

I will say that I felt better emotionally when I reduced my contribution to unnecessary suffering.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Humans still die whether we eat them or not. We don't (typically) use that as an argument in favor of eating them.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Also, fewer people eating meat creates a smaller demand for meat, so fewer animals are slaughtered.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    A whole entire day? Does your family keep a special log of your meals that would have them notice that you didn't eat your normal daily quantity of meat? Would they also notice if you only ate half the usual amount of jujubees? They're going to that you didn't have your bacon for a while entire day?

Oh wait. I get it. They won't notice, except for that you're going to spend the entire day telling them that you're a vegan (for a whole entire day) and how much more ethical you are and from 11am on you're going to keep repeating how much better you feel, aren't you?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Also, fewer people eating meat creates a smaller demand for meat, so fewer animals are slaughtered.

Exactly.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    A whole entire day? Does your family keep a special log of your meals that would have them notice that you didn't eat your normal daily quantity of meat? Would they also notice if you only ate half the usual amount of jujubees? They're going to that you didn't have your bacon for a while entire day?

Oh wait. I get it. They won't notice, except for that you're going to spend the entire day telling them that you're a vegan (for a whole entire day) and how much more ethical you are and from 11am on you're going to keep repeating how much better you feel, aren't you?

I don't see anything in the OP to justify these kind of assumptions. Even though it isn't everyone's experience, some people do eat with others who notice (and comment) on what they eat. I never initiate conversations about veganism with my co-workers, but it isn't at all uncommon for people to notice what I eat and ask me about it.

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Changing eating habits has to start somewhere, whether it's lower calorie, lower carb, vegan, or whatever. Everyone has a "first day". Some people talk about it a lot, others do it quietly. Some people have others who notice, and some people don't. Veganism is not always easy, even if your heart and soul are in it 100%. It takes un-learning and re-learning what foods to eat and what to avoid. I think someone saying they're going to try it for "just one day" makes a lot of sense, more sense than an omnivore declaring one day that they're "vegan from now on" when they have no idea what it's like. I don't see any problem with easing into it, especially if that means being successful in the long run.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Changing eating habits has to start somewhere, whether it's lower calorie, lower carb, vegan, or whatever. Everyone has a "first day". Some people talk about it a lot, others do it quietly. Some people have others who notice, and some people don't. Veganism is not always easy, even if your heart and soul are in it 100%. It takes un-learning and re-learning what foods to eat and what to avoid. I think someone saying they're going to try it for "just one day" makes a lot of sense, more sense than an omnivore declaring one day that they're "vegan from now on" when they have no idea what it's like. I don't see any problem with easing into it, especially if that means being successful in the long run.

I began by going plant-based for two weeks. I thought it would be too hard for me, so I wanted to prove to myself that I couldn't do it. But it wasn't that hard at all. Ten years later, here I am.

You're absolutely right that many people start with a temporary goal or easing into it.
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Never mind the vitriol, if it's better for your head, do it! You may get arguments against it (how do you know animals feel? They'll still be killed!), but I feel bodily healthy, and psychologically healthy. Whatever is pro animal consumption, I don't want to be a reason why they suffer and die.
    Success!
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So, I guess the big question comes down to where you get your meals, and who prepares them? If you prepare your own meals (or buy them yourself), I don't see this being an issue. If someone else prepares your meals, than it's certainly something you will need to discuss. Also, if you do cook for yourself, and also for your family, that would also warrant a discussion. I think that's where the OP is coming from, not from a place of "I'm so much better than you because I don't consume animal products".

I am not a vegan, or even a vegetarian, though I have been reducing the amount of meat I consume. It was my choice. I did have a brief discussion with my husband when I started with the Meatless Monday. His response was that eating a vegetarian meal a couple times a week is not going to kill anybody. I'm lucky in that I have an understanding family who are willing to try new foods. In fact, one week I noticed that we only ate meat 2 of the 7 days (and one of those was only crumbled bacon). The husband hadn't even noticed.

My thought would be to bring it up with your family if you share meals. They may be willing to go along for the experiment. A lot of vegan food is quite tasty, and I enjoy it for that alone.
  • cortsky
    cortsky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, beans, tofu, etc.

For lunch, smash chickpeas with Veganaise and mix with finely chopped celery, carrots, and onion. Serve on bread and the texture is like a tuna salad, but without the fishy taste. I add lettuce and sliced tomatoes.

Have fajitas, but with just the bell peppers and onion. Serve on a tortilla with pico de gallo and guacamole.

Vegetable stir fry (cabbage, carrot, celery, broccoli, snap peas) served over brown rice.

I use Tolerant Pasta. It is made with only lentils. Toss in a tomato or pesto sauce and serve with a big side of veggies.

There are tons of delicious recipes out there that your family won't even realize that there isn't any meat.

I make this without the cheese. I also make my own enchilada sauce and roasted chilies.
    http://damndelicious.net/2014/07/07/quinoa-enchilada-casserole/?m