Thyroid Diet

Options
Anyone out there hear about a special diet to help lose weight when you have thyroid issues?

Replies

• misjes1
    misjes1 Posts: 18
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and is corrected with medication daily. I use MFP and workout and have almost lost 30lbs and am only 7 lbs to my goal. My doctor has said that as long as the medication is being taken daily, you are free to eat as normal.
  • Chelibelly54
    Options
    Im not on medicine, yet, and would prefer not to be. Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas for healthy food that could stimulate these messed up hormones and such that I have acquired..
  • Chelibelly54
    Options
    What is shred?
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't follow any particular diet, but will be hypo before the year is thru (having my gland removed this week), and I have read Mary Shomon's Thyroid Diet book and found it interesting. Lots of what she talks about I'm already doing, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'm ahead of the game. Not sure how old you are, but she's also written a decent book on thyroid disease and menopause. You could probably check them out at your local library.
  • YaelS18
    YaelS18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto disease and have not taken any medication for the last three years. I have cut out all grains and keep my intake of diary and sugars to a minimum. This has really helped me.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    When my thyroid totally died in my 40's and I started taking meds and lost 130# I was sure I had beat the fat stuff but not so. Thyroid deficiencies will contribute to weight but is not the primary reason for obesity, calories in and out are. Stick to a heathy diet with a minimum of processed foods.
  • Jhall1105
    Jhall1105 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi I'm jess from the uk have a underactive thyroid weight loss is hard for me and my metabolism is alot slower since have my son and being diagnoised , would really like some friends for my app in the same boat please feel free to add me :-)
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    What is shred?

30 day Shred work out by Jillian from the Biggest Loser. I just ordered it (it was $6.99 on Amazon yesterday).

I take medication for a thyroid problem, but have put on weight over the years from inactivity as well as finding the right amount of thyroid medication.

If you're sure you have a thyroid issue, I would highly recommend thinking about medication, since it's not just about your weight... having an hypothyroidism also leads to :
    *depression-like feelings,
    * feeling tired and sleeping a lot
    * feeling the cold easily
    * dry and/or pale skin
    * coarse, thinning hair and brittle nails
    * sore muscles, slow movements and weakness
    * a hoarse or croaky voice
    * a change in facial expression
    * depression
    * problems with memory and concentration
    * weight gain
    * constipation
    * fertility problems and increased risk of miscarriage
    * heavy, irregular or prolonged menstrual periods
    * a slow heart rate
  • Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 199
    Options
    I've been on medication for 5 years now, without it I can't do anything, everything just stops. I can tell when my meds need upping and losing weight, I've found, can be a nightmare when it's out of kilter. I tend to eat well, exercise loads and drink plenty of water. Otherwise I just seem to go to pot!!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I've been on medication for 5 years now, without it I can't do anything, everything just stops. I can tell when my meds need upping and losing weight, I've found, can be a nightmare when it's out of kilter. I tend to eat well, exercise loads and drink plenty of water. Otherwise I just seem to go to pot!!

I completely agree! I get tired, moody and depressed (like PMS, but not all the time), when my meds are off. It makes a HUGE difference. :)