Lemon/Fruit Infused Water - benefits?

Options
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has found any benefits to drinking hot water with lemon or fruit infused waters?

Those I work with swear it helps them with weight loss and kick starts their metabolism in the morning and I see these kind of statements online but wondered if anyone here has experienced any benefit?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    It is just flavor infused water.
    I do it in the summer to have some variety.
    No weight loss benefits other than help you drink more water.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    The benefits are that they have flavor which may help you increase your intake of water. They don't do anything beyond change the taste of the water.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    The benefits are that they have flavor which may help you increase your intake of water. They don't do anything beyond change the taste of the water.

this
    i prefer coke zero to water so to up my water intake i have lemon slices in my water.ice cold, can drink more like that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If their metabolism stopped overnight they wouldn't wake up.
    Old motorbikes have kickstarters, people and their metabolism do not.

If you like flavoured water go for it but don't imagine it's doing more that being a tasty way to hydrate yourself.
  • SqueakyBeans88
    SqueakyBeans88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I keep thinking like it's just a bit of a fad and there can't be much weight loss science behind it, you've helped convince me I'm not just being cynical about these particular dieters and the methods they swear by! lol
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I keep thinking like it's just a bit of a fad and there can't be much weight loss science behind it, you've helped convince me I'm not just being cynical about these particular dieters and the methods they swear by! lol

Just don't burst the bubble for your co-workers. If you convince them it doesn't help them lose weight, they'll very quickly switch to how it helps detoxify their systems, I'd bet.
  • SqueakyBeans88
    SqueakyBeans88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh of course not, I've no interest in trying to "prove" anyone wrong... each to their own. I just wondered if I'm missing out on something potentially beneficial for myself that everyone else seems to be getting into right now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's just water that is infused with flavors from whatever you're putting into it...logically, how would that "kick start" anything...it tastes good, but that's it. I make fruit infused water all of the time, particularly in the summer for kicking around the pool...because it's delicious.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    When I drink lemon water, I figure I am adding tons of vitamin C to my day with very few calories. Plus, it tastes great! I also add apple cider vinegar at least once a day. Don't know about all the claimed health benefits - but at the least, it adds potassium and other vitamins/minerals to my diet and tastes just as good as juice (to me) for no calories!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,001 Member
    Options
    The benefit is that it taste good and can encourage you to drink more water. There is also a benefit to your voice in drinking hot lemon water. It is good for sore throats.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Benefit = hydration.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What MommyMeggo said. If it gets you to drink more water, it's of great benefit.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Well, in a way it does "detox" the body. Because you know- water. It helps the kidneys work more efficiently to eliminate metabolic rates. So yeah- when people talk about detox you can look them in the face without an urge to eye roll. Even if that's not what they meant. But minerals and vitamins are negligible due to the low amount of fruit in the water. So basically- just increases hydration (yay!) and tastes good (also yay!).

I like adding mint to the mix, tastes good with strawberries or lemon.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    When I add cucumber and strawberries to my water bottle, I honestly drink about twice as much as I normally do throughout the day because I enjoy the taste. Higher water-intake = big benefit to me.