Healthiest/best yoghurt available in Australia

Options
I eat a fair bit of yoghurt. I have it in the morning for breakfast with psyllium husks, LSA, chia seeds, cinnamon and honey and I have it with raspberries for supper a few times per week. I was talking a woman in the healthfood shop yesterday who pointed out that the Yoplait yoghurt I have been having isn't the best for me (I knew this but had been having it because it is what the kids eat).

So my question for fellow Aussies is what is the healthiest yoghurt that we can get here? I need to find one that has the live cultures in it and I'd prefer if it was low far and low sugar. Hopefully someone has the answer so I can avoid having to stand in the fridge aisle at the supermarket in the middle of winter reading labels :-)

Replies

• Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think the Jalna natural pot set is pretty good, and I have heard that the Aldi version is actually made by the same company and is a little bit cheaper.
    Do you know that its pretty easy to make your own yoghurt? You use one of those yoghurt kits but use just a few spoonfuls of yoghurt like the jalna, some powdered milk and water and you are good to go.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread. I was in the same situation as you. I decided to make my own and it's easy. I make plain fat free sugar free. I sweeten it with Stevia and vanilla extract. My last batch was as thick as sour cream.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/249736-anyone-make-their-own-yogurt
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    Check out this thread. I was in the same situation as you. I decided to make my own and it's easy. I make plain fat free sugar free. I sweeten it with Stevia and vanilla extract. My last batch was as thick as sour cream.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/249736-anyone-make-their-own-yogurt

I think I might have to try this next week when I get away from the four day holiday I'm going on tomorrow. Just need to work out which brand of yoghurt I can buy that has the cultures so I can use it as a starter.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    If you want a thick greek style, any PLAIN greek yogurt will do. I you don't want the yogurt real thick, cut back alittle on the powdered milk. If you have any questions you can message me. You can also buy freeze dried yogurt culture starter mix.
  • katemarjoram
    Options
    Bump. Can anyone suggest a brand of Australian yoghurt which is low fat, low sugar and contains all the healthy cultures?
  • katemarjoram
    Options
    Bump. Can anyone suggest a brand of Australian yoghurt which is low fat, low sugar and contains all the healthy cultures?
  • merah
    merah Posts: 2
    Options
    +1 Jalna yoghurt- the non-fat version is excellent
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Mundella - I usually buy the fat free or reduced fat natural, but the Greek is pretty good too. I like it because it has a very short list of ingredients.
  • kapkap1
    kapkap1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mundella is the best. Vanilla low fat is my favourite or for a bit less sugar go for the reduced fat natural. It is set in the pot and is very think and creamy with all the good cultures in it.
  • katemarjoram
    Options
    Am trying to make my own yoghurt - milk is in the slow cooker (crockpot) heating.
  • salbal70
    salbal70 Posts: 10
    Options
    I think the Bornhoffen Natural Yoghurt is really good and tastes great too!
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    i have been eating plain tamar valley no fat but i noticed that it has 9g of sugar per 100g. sugar is not on the ingredients list tho -is this still a healthy option or should i consider switching to jalna organic no fat i have noticed that has less calories..