Treadmill vs Pavement

Options
Has anyone experienced leg cramps while trying to run on the treadmill? I'm a beginner runner, but every time I try to slightly run on the treadmill I start getting really bad leg cramps that almost feel like Charlie horses. But if I run on pavement, I never get cramps.

I've signed up for a 5K (first time ever!) but I'm having a hard time trying to train for it. The weather isn't cooperating (just got pummeled by Jonas) so I'm trying to keep the running going.

I'm open for suggestions and thank you for your time!
~Nicole

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,721 Member
    Options
    Treadmills have a "bounce" to them because they absorb impact. Maybe your shoes don't work well on a treadmill.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It's all about form. It's easier to work on form outdoors mostly because you can adjust yourself easier without thinking about.

Wear compression socks and figure out how your form is different; do you lean forward on the tread as you run more or less than outside? Does your foot hit the tread differently than outside? Since you shouldn't wear the same shoes you wear for outdoor running as you do indoor running it could be as simple as needing a new indoor shoe (or getting a new indoor shoe if you use the same ones for both)... A lot can play into it
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    what incline setting are you using?
    i set tread to "rolling hills" which varies incline between 0.5- 3%,which i was advised mimics outdoor undulations.
    running on the flat may be causing problem.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hate the dreadmill! Love outdoor running, it's so uplifting. .
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I found that on the pavement I ran at an easy pace but on a treadmill because of all the numbers I was trying to run to fast which caused me all sorts of problems. Slowing it down in the early days helped me.
  • ctg492
    ctg492 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good luck and from a hamster wheel love hate relationship person, I think all the above tips are great. I am running inside as every winter, summer 100% road. I know I run way faster on the TM than road. Treadmill I have gotten bursitis and other aches and pains due to this. Think I will learn?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Takes time to build those calve muscles! Hang in there, and take Magnesium Citrate caps twice a day.
  • preciosapeke
    preciosapeke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have more resistance in the treadmill than in the pavement. ... :/
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    On treadmill some muscle work goes into extra balancing to match the treadmill's speed, at least for me.

Edit: Are you possibly taking smaller steps on treadmill than you do on pavement? Do you land further down your foot closer to the toes? That could activate calf muscles more since you aren't used to the movement. It's not uncommon for shorter treadmill or out of fear of falling off.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I hate treadmills. Love the pavement.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love running outside but get horrible debilitating shin splints that ultimately HAULT any running whatsoever. Treadmill has been my savior, I can run forever on one, LOVE LOVE LOVE my treadmill! I have a Nordic track c990- hooked up a sonos wifi speaker, google music and apple music audio streaming or line in with youtube- Put a fan on the floor as well as the fan on the front console and I feel like a rockstar! I choose an interval program run/walk with alternating inclines!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I hate treadmills. Love the pavement.

some how i just feel safer on the pavement
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    to answer your question op never had leg cramps running on treadmill or outside
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is great for barefoot or sock footed jogs or fartlek. I up the incline and keep the pace slow. When I run on TM flat it hurts within the first minute. When I go slow and steep on the TM, I am building power muscles that will serve me well when I get a chance to get back outside to a trail.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Yeah, treadmill is supposed to be easier...but I always find I injure myself when I use it. I think there's something about it where it messes up my gait while I'm running on it, whereas outside I'm less constrained and run more naturally. Luckily I live in a nice climate so it's not a problem.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Not unusual to have problems with one and be fine on the other.

Running on a treadmill bothers my knees. And there's some kind of psychological thing going on that no matter what speed and incline I use, I always find myself crammed up against the front bar unable to swing my arms - and it's not a fear of falling off of the back. I just always run that little bit faster than the treadmill is going.
  • potterfriendz
    potterfriendz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    It's all about form. It's easier to work on form outdoors mostly because you can adjust yourself easier without thinking about.

Wear compression socks and figure out how your form is different; do you lean forward on the tread as you run more or less than outside? Does your foot hit the tread differently than outside? Since you shouldn't wear the same shoes you wear for outdoor running as you do indoor running it could be as simple as needing a new indoor shoe (or getting a new indoor shoe if you use the same ones for both)... A lot can play into it

I probably run differently than I do outside. I'm always afraid of the treadmill belt slipping. I have been using the same shoes inside vs outside, so that may be something I can try as well.
    Thank you!!
  • potterfriendz
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »
    what incline setting are you using?
    i set tread to "rolling hills" which varies incline between 0.5- 3%,which i was advised mimics outdoor undulations.
    running on the flat may be causing problem.

I have been running flat. I'll try changing inclines to see if this helps as well. Thank you!!
  • potterfriendz
    Options
    On treadmill some muscle work goes into extra balancing to match the treadmill's speed, at least for me.

Edit: Are you possibly taking smaller steps on treadmill than you do on pavement? Do you land further down your foot closer to the toes? That could activate calf muscles more since you aren't used to the movement. It's not uncommon for shorter treadmill or out of fear of falling off.

I would say without a doubt I'm taking smaller steps and probably landing more tip toed vs flatter steps. I've had the belt slip on me a few times, so I'm always afraid I'm going to face plant it lol.
  • potterfriendz
    Options
    I love running outside but get horrible debilitating shin splints that ultimately HAULT any running whatsoever. Treadmill has been my savior, I can run forever on one, LOVE LOVE LOVE my treadmill! I have a Nordic track c990- hooked up a sonos wifi speaker, google music and apple music audio streaming or line in with youtube- Put a fan on the floor as well as the fan on the front console and I feel like a rockstar! I choose an interval program run/walk with alternating inclines!

That is an awesome setup!! Right now I've been going to the gym, but that's something to consider in the future