angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    pavement makes me ache
    but i prefer it to treadmill running.
  • potterfriendz
    potterfriendz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Not unusual to have problems with one and be fine on the other.

Running on a treadmill bothers my knees. And there's some kind of psychological thing going on that no matter what speed and incline I use, I always find myself crammed up against the front bar unable to swing my arms - and it's not a fear of falling off of the back. I just always run that little bit faster than the treadmill is going.

I do the same as well. Or I've death gripped the side railings. I've had the belt "slip" a few times when walking, so I'm always thinking that'll happen when I run too.
  • potterfriendz
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Treadmills have a "bounce" to them because they absorb impact. Maybe your shoes don't work well on a treadmill.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I may have to try that out. Thank you!
  • potterfriendz
    Options
    Yeah, treadmill is supposed to be easier...but I always find I injure myself when I use it. I think there's something about it where it messes up my gait while I'm running on it, whereas outside I'm less constrained and run more naturally. Luckily I live in a nice climate so it's not a problem.

I think my gait is different on the treadmill as well. It's probably messing w/ my mind. Yes, cannot wait for spring!!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill because I tend to feel like the tread slips at times and I think that causes injuries. It is the main reason I like the elliptical for my cardio.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My podiatrist calls the treadmill the "overuse machine" because he sees so many injuries from overusing it. I have one, but now also have a stationary bike to break it up. Used to run outside for 30 years, but age caught up with my body. I did get away with overusing my treadmill for a decade. I'd get new shoes and go slower and see what your gait is doing. With the springs in the treadmills, it should be more cushioning and easier on your body. Have a friend video you on the treadmill versus concrete.