I've hurt myself and I need some exercise suggestions please

Options
Hey :happy:

I've been exercising every day since I started my 'new lifestyle' with the help of my MFP friends :flowerforyou:. Sadly I've woken this morning with an excruciating pain in my heel that is making it almost impossible to walk :grumble:.

Does anyone have any ideas of things I can do to exercise without putting pressure on my heel? I don't have a swimming pool close to me plus getting there might be a problem anyway with this heel!

Any suggestions? :happy:

Paul x

Replies

• usreek
    usreek Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://www.abs-exercise-advice.com/plank.html

Try the plank.. It helps the core.
  • bloodstar
    bloodstar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts, if you have any access to a gym then see if stationary biking, either recumbent or upright. if you don't have access to something like that, if you can invest a few dollars into an exercise ball to work on (as the person above said) core strength and conditioning.

good luck!
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    Options
    bump
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    In my journey, I learned that when my body is hurting.. it is its way of telling me it needs a rest. It's great to exercise each and everyday, but at some point we need to give our bodies a rest. There are some pains that you can easily work through and end up stronger in the end. However, any sort of excruciating pain should NOT be ignored or pushed through. Pain is your bodies way of telling you something isn't right.

I would give your body a rest for a day or two and see if it feels better.

I "worked through" and ignored pain in my right hip for quite a long time and ended up with a stress fracture in it. Yes, it's great to be motivated and want to workout a lot... but the key to success is to allow our bodies to rest, recover and relax.

Good luck and I hope it feels better soon!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. Also, I love Yoga. You can find some stretches and exercises online, and maybe to the ones where you are sitting, or laying on your back or stomach. :)

Hope it gets better soon!
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Re the above suggestions how can he do bike or plank if his heel is hurting????????????????????????

I was gonna suggest anything to work upper body even if its just weights, just till the pain goes away and you are free to walk again! What ever you do rest it.

Hope you feel better soon, I buggered my hand the other day doing 6 week 6 pack - silly walking push ups and weighed push ups....
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help and suggestions :)

Paul
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you're able to move around and have access to a pool, try water aerobics. Once in the water you can pretty much do anything and stay off the heel. If you have a gym membership with a pool area, most of them have noodles and other water equipment you can use. Water aerobics can be very effective with keeping in shape and suffering from an injury. :)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I second the upper body weights. You can also do boxing drills in a seated position to get some light cardio in too.

As for the heel, does it hurt to stretch it? The best stretch for it would be where you pull you toes toward your shin. For some people, this will actually help it feel better, but it doesn't work for things like heel spurs. You can also take a frozen water bottle and roll your foot across it if that helps. If it is muscular, massage might help too. I've had plantar fasciitis in the past and deep tissue massage was the only thing that helped it go away.
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys :flowerforyou: I decided to rest my heel over the weekend and took to occasionally and gently stretching my toes towards my shin, as someone suggested (thanks :smile:). Come this evening (Monday) my foot feels a hundred times better. It's still a little uncomfortable so today I've done all my regular exercises but at a slightly slower and gentler pace. I feel great now :happy: