Today has been a bad day...

Options
Not so much a bad day, but a bad hour or so...

I've done so well over last few weeks, been able to curb my binge eating but this afternoon i've eaten so much food within the last hour....I'm scared that I won't be able to pick myself back up and carry on after it. Probably feeling a little sorry for myself but I don't want all my very hard work to go down the drain because of one blip...

Replies

• buttersbunch
    buttersbunch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    So you slipped up! It happens!! If your car had a flat tire would you jump out and slash the other three? NO! You'd change the flat and keep going! A bit delayed, a little detour... but the journey continues!! ❤️

w357sq4rvpck.jpeg
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    No amount of guilt will change the last hour. No amount of anxiety will change the next hour. The only time you have to work with is
  • bri170lb
    Options
    THIS HOUR!
  • bri170lb
    Options
    Just do what you know is right during this hour. You'll be fine.
  • jessicaeccles
    jessicaeccles Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have problem with binge eating as well. Forget the last hour. You don't need a new day to start fresh! Use your next meal as a clean slate! I know how hard it can be when you just want to sit and eat and eat! I try to have things around like celery so if i do binge its on a bag of celery and not a bag of chips. The last hour is over so you can start over right now! Good luck!
  • one2bskiny
    one2bskiny Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This hour is almost over. Start fresh. Drink some water when you feel the need to eat. & stay outta the kitchen.
    :)
  • Emmandaline
    Emmandaline Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too!
    I eat emotionally, even if I don't realize it at the time. I have eaten upwards of 6,000 calories in one sitting before, so... That was bad.
    Sometimes I tell myself I am doing it to get rid of 'temptation' for the future, but I know it's not healthy. If you can, I would say to log everything you ate. It might seem painful, but it helps me because I can look back and see why I was craving so much.
    For example, one time I binged on ice cream and I felt really bad about it. Then I logged it, and when I looked back I saw that was the only calcium I had had in over a week. I was starving myself of a major nutrient. After that, I started adding more dairy products into my diet, and I haven't craved that the same way again.
    Other times, I can look back and see trends, like when my sister was in the hospital I binged a lot more than other times when I wasn't stressed.
    Anyways, my advice to you is hang in there! Treat this as a learning process, and don't give up!!!
  • Nell8i8
    Nell8i8 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The bravest thing I do when I over eat is to log it in. I know then how hard I have to work. Visualizing my mistakes helps me make better conscious choices in the future. Don't give up on yourself. You are not what you feel like now. Fight on!
  • CardiganandFlannel
    CardiganandFlannel Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Keep on keeping on
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree with Nell8i8, I log all my calories & when I've seen what I've eaten, it makes me want to work harder tomorrow. We all have these & those who say they don't, well I think they lie ;). Take it one day at a time & if you fall off the horse, look that horse in the face & get back on!!!!!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Nell8i8 wrote: »
    The bravest thing I do when I over eat is to log it in. I know then how hard I have to work. Visualizing my mistakes helps me make better conscious choices in the future. Don't give up on yourself. You are not what you feel like now. Fight on!

Agreed with this so much. I sort of binged this weekend, but because I knew I was going to record it I think I backed off a bit. I also found out that it wasn't quite as devastating as I thought it would be when I just stopped and wrote it down.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. You aren't overweight because of one hour of eating; it's because of days, weeks, months, even years. The worst thing you can do is use one bad day as an excuse to quit.

Log what you've eaten and try to get the rest of the day under control. Don't starve yourself or anything, just level off. Maybe take a walk to get your blood pumping and improve your mood.

Then wake up tomorrow and do better! No biggie :)
  • lessthanyesterd4y
    Options
    :)
  • alvin_grung
    alvin_grung Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Glad to see so many posters telling you to log it. That's my best motivator - restarts the engine quickly. I spend time looking closely at just how much I put in the well, so to speak. Funny thing is, you know it isn't going to put on ten pounds or even three, so making good, well thought-out choices the rest of the day and then the next day will pretty much undo the damage. And then you're back on track.

The other thing you can do is go for a walk or exercise of your choice - partly to get you away from the things you are suddenly craving (I've had binges before where the mindset is: "Oh, hell I've done it now. I'm hopeless" followed by more junk munching). You can probably cut into half the excesses if you make it a good workout or 40 - 60 minute walk at a brisk pace.

Keep the faith.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Log it. With a 500 calorie deficit, you'll probably make up for it in a couple days! It's not a huge deal. Just log it and move on. It takes 3500 calories to gain one pound.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    It happens and it's OK. What isn't OK is quitting and giving up. Log it, brush it off and start again. You can do it!
  • Ksr9981
    Ksr9981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is really inspiring! Lots of people (not just me!) deal with emotional eating and binge eating. Lots of great ideas for starting again and not beating yourself up. Thanks everyone!
  • samit0921
    samit0921 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to try and log what I ate (If I can remember) and I'll remember to log any slips ups in the future, because they will happen. Back on it this morning, fingers crossed. Thanks so much for all your responses, it's really helped me stop beating myself up about it :)
  • samit0921
    samit0921 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've just logged everything I ate yesterday and i usually aim for about 1200 calories.. Yesterday came for 2200 which is only 294 over what mfp goals for me anyway.. Not as devastating as I thought. Thanks again everyone.