Biking question

Options
wiffe
wiffe Posts: 224 Member
When I was heavier riding my bike hurt my butt(you know the area). I've started riding with my daughter and it hasn't hurt like it used to. By the time we are done I'm numb but not hurting like before.

Is it because I lost my wieght?

Replies

• bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I would think so. Although my butt still hurts after riding even though I have lost weight. =( lol
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    The more you ride, the less your butt hurts. Good padded shorts help a lot too.
  • wiffe
    Options
    My butt didnt even hurt when we rode the first time and we are talking 6-10 miles.
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    could be your butt changed shape a bit and found a different sweet sopt that doesnt put so much pressure on the sore spots. A good pair of padded shorts will take away all those woes though :)
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You normally become somewhat adapted to your seat. I would say upgrade your saddle, they aren't that expensive and well worth the investment if you are going to keep biking. Go to a local bike shop and get fitted for a seat, before buying.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    my wife calls my padded riding shorts my diaper lol
  • wiffe
    Options
    My husband has the padded shorts and I always laughed at them. But i know they work. Gotta save money for some.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    My husband has the padded shorts and I always laughed at them. But i know they work. Gotta save money for some.
    i ride 125-150 miles a week .... my areas thank God for padded shorts
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Another thing to check is try adjusting the height and position of the saddle. Since you've lost weight, the way your seat rides on the saddle will change. Making subtle changes to the height, and position may help. A bicycle shop may be able to help you with this too. Also, a good padded seat (mine has gel in it) will really help too.
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm heavy and religiously go ride my bike no matter how rediculous I may look. I know for a fact that weight is a factor and another, now don't laugh, is that your butt has "tempered" to the pressure and form of the seat. Although, when I don't ride during the cold months, I end up having to "re-temper" my butt for long rides again.

As for saving up for a pair of bike shorts, try ordering from Sports Authority. I lucked out and found bike shorts in size 3x for only $25 and they are my favorite shorts. Can't beat that price when you normally see them going for $50 +. No, they were not on the discount rack. I had already tried a pair on in the store that were on the expensive side and went to their website. Having an idea of what size I wear, I was able to find lots of deals online for cyclists. :wink: