Too old to be this slim

Options
Hello everyone. I am once again trying my weight gain journey. Currently105 and want to get up to 130. I am 29 and I am so sick of people thinking im a little girl. Any advice?

Replies

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Figure out how many calories it takes you to maintain your current weight, and add 250-500 calories.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world. Not that people think I'm a little girl but did hear "eat something" a lot.
    I think a good rule of thumb is your current weight x 17 = calories to maintain that weight and your weight x 20 = calories to gain with activity? Try the Set Goal tab on this app and let the calorie counting and gains begin.
    Good luck.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My skinny sister gained some needed weight by drinking 2 cans of "Boost plus" per day.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    LOL @ Too old to be this slim

My advice is keep some cheat foods on deck. By cheat foods I mean quick foods that have a lot of calories in the event you don't reach your caloric goal for the day or even if you do reach it so you're one step ahead in this wild game.

For example, I found some cookies at the health food store that are 500 calories. It's a local bakery and they use bean flour (that explains the added calories). I keep a stash of them in the drawer and eat them as needed. You gotta find your own secret weapon. Gain on, sista.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • queenisis1025
    queenisis1025 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    5'3
  • queenisis1025
    Options

My advice is keep some cheat foods on deck. By cheat foods I mean quick foods that have a lot of calories in the event you don't reach your caloric goal for the day or even if you do reach it so you're one step ahead in this wild game.

For example, I found some cookies at the health food store that are 500 calories. It's a local bakery and they use bean flour (that explains the added calories). I keep a stash of them in the drawer and eat them as needed. You gotta find your own secret weapon. Gain on, sista.

Lol okay I will do that. Been looking for healthy foods with high calories. Not that easy but thank u so much for the advice!!!!!
  • queenisis1025
    Options
    My skinny sister gained some needed weight by drinking 2 cans of "Boost plus" per day.

Boost and Ensure mase me sick when I tried them years back but I'm vegan now so that's out lol. Bur thank u for responding
  • queenisis1025
    Options
    Figure out how many calories it takes you to maintain your current weight, and add 250-500 calories.

Thank U!!!!
  • queenisis1025
    Options
    Welcome to my world. Not that people think I'm a little girl but did hear "eat something" a lot.
    I think a good rule of thumb is your current weight x 17 = calories to maintain that weight and your weight x 20 = calories to gain with activity? Try the Set Goal tab on this app and let the calorie counting and gains begin.
    Good luck.

I am currently eating 2500 and I usually don't count my calories so this is definitely new for me lol. I am learning what has more calories and good fats so I eat a lpt of nuts and beans and rice. Just ready to get thicker like when I had my children. Thank u so much for your advice!
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Protein shakes/powders; plenty of vegan options, add peanut butter to make it even more calorie dense.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Lol okay I will do that. Been looking for healthy foods with high calories. Not that easy but thank u so much for the advice!!!!!

Peanut butter
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

I am currently eating 2500 and I usually don't count my calories so this is definitely new for me lol. I am learning what has more calories and good fats so I eat a lpt of nuts and beans and rice. Just ready to get thicker like when I had my children. Thank u so much for your advice!

if you do not count calories how do you know that you are eating 2500???
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

At 105lbs you would have to be extremely active to be able to burn 2500 calories and not gain a pound. If you log your food you might be surprised how much you really eat. I'm thinking you are actually eating far less than you actually imagine, which isn't unusual for those who find it difficult to gain weight.
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am once again trying my weight gain journey. Currently105 and want to get up to 130. I am 29 and I am so sick of people thinking im a little girl. Any advice?

You sound like me at your age. I ate everything and anything I wanted and even drank 2 liters of coke every day. The weight started to come on very slowly in my early 30s at about 2 lbs a year. I was at 128 at age 38 and after a hysterectomy started to add a little faster (close to 180 now). Just keep eating healthy but calorie intense foods and it should happen. But watch that you don't get too heavy. Now in my 60s and the doctors want me to lose weight. If only we could be happy with our weight throughout life.
  • m0wheels
    m0wheels Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    At 105lbs you would have to be extremely active to be able to burn 2500 calories and not gain a pound. If you log your food you might be surprised how much you really eat. I'm thinking you are actually eating far less than you actually imagine, which isn't unusual for those who find it difficult to gain weight.

This guys right. I didn't realize until I started logging my foods that just an average meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner isn't enough to gain weight, or even meet the recommended calorie count. Logging it is definitely helpful!
  • zoeandnimo
    zoeandnimo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to gain and to my surprise after logging found that I wasn't eating nearly enough. It's been tough but I am slowly trying to get my stomach used to eating more!
  • agirlcalledrinn
    agirlcalledrinn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Log everything, but go beyond that and get a scale to help. I found a huuuuge difference in my calorie intake when I started using measurements rather than guestimating. In my case, I was eating far more than I thought. I'm guessing from what you've said that Wheelhouse is right and you're not eating as much as you think you are.

But, if you're accurately calculating and still not gaining, it's time to see the doctor. An overactive thyroid might be an issue, and since you've had children, it's a possibility-it often occurs postpartum. It's better safe than sorry.
  • queenisis1025
    Options
    I have been taking a veggie protein shake and I love it. Up three pounds from last week. Super happy
  • queenisis1025
    Options
    zoeandnimo wrote: »
    I am also trying to gain and to my surprise after logging found that I wasn't eating nearly enough. It's been tough but I am slowly trying to get my stomach used to eating more!

Yes it is hard to force yourself to eat. I have been taking apetamin two to three times a week. It gives me an hell of a appetite lol...