Pain on right side just under rib cage

Options
Hi all,

Whenever I walk, I get a pain just under my rib cage. It isnt a stitch - that tends to be lower down and a different kind of pain. It happens when I do my morning walk or if I walk to the car or to the water machine at work. It has been happening for 3 weeks now, so it isnt a pulled muscle.
I am walking about 5 miles a day too and after a mile, it goes.

I'm drinking plenty of water as well...

Has anyone else had this or knows what it is?

Replies

• jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    Well I never!! I get the exact same pain in my left side!! doesnt happen when im running, only when im walking!!
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Are you constipated? The intestine loops just there on the right and you can get trapped wind there, that moves when you are active.
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    thats a no from me!!
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    gas? could just be like an air bubble or something that works itself out once you start walking?? maybe try taking an antacid before you go walking, or drink a bit of fizzy water to get some burps out?
    just a thought...i don't know why you would consistantly have air bubbles before a walk, but maybe it's an anticipation kind of thing?
    clearly im not a doctor...i just know that sometimes when i get pains like that, an antacid makes me burp and relieves that bit of trapped air.
  • michalita
    michalita Posts: 27
    Options
    I don't want to alarm you, but when I had gallstones, that's where the pain presented itself. Do you have it at any other times, say after eating a really fatty meal? Any other symptoms? I hope it's nothing!
  • WildWayz
    WildWayz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Deffo not constipation - can hand on heart say I have never been constipated ;)
    Will try the fizzy thing... actually, now you mention it this coincides with me giving up fizzy drinks and only drinking water!

I was a bit concerned about gall stones, but not had any other pains...
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If its been 3 weeks its not trapped gas and you would have known if it was constipation by now...but thats not to say its not trapped bowels or something else.

Make a appointment to see your physician. Better safe than sorry.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Pain on the right side could be liver, gall bladder, or appendix related. Pain on the left side could be stomach or spleen. Either side could be small intestine or colon related. Since blood flow is reduced to the abdominal area during exercise so it can be shifted to the working muscles, it could be any of the organs being irritated by not having as much blood flow. It could also be a shift in hormones during exercise that causes a decrease in digestion during that time. It could also just be the muscles getting warmed up because you are using core muscles while walking. I'd recommend seeing a doctor to rule out anything serious (polyps, gall stones, etc.) and if they say it's nothing then try to find other forms of exercise that don't cause the pain so you aren't suffering from it.
  • jlmarcin
    jlmarcin Posts: 36
    Options
    That's where the pain was when I had gall stones and had my gall bladder taken out. But the pain came after i ate, and believe me, it was debilitating pain. You could have pulled something; I would not rule that out. I say this because it takes a long time for something "pulled" to heal, and you could be re-injuring it. Another possibility is a hiatal hernia. I get a pain right where my gall bladder was, and my doc says it could be that and recommended prilosec. Exercise seemed to help ease the pain tho, not exacerbate it. Does the pain cause nausea?
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have gallbladder disease and will probably have to have mine out. I will get pains in my right side under my ribs when I eat things that are too fatty, lots of caffeine or any food that might inflame it. I'll have this pain for a couple of days until my gallbladder's inflammation goes down, usually by watching my diet and taking ibuprofen. I don't have this "under the rib pain" all the time, but it can get rather annoying. Try eating less fatty, watch the caffeine, take ibuprofen and see if that helps. You should see a doctor regardless just to be sure.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I didn't think about the gall bladder inflammation/stones, but the pain you describe doesn't sound like it either. When I had it - it can be brought on by weight loss - the pain was at first very uncomfortable but I felt ill as well, sweaty etc, and it progressed to being excruciating! I am not one to run to the dr every time anything is wrong, but I certainly felt like there was something wrong then!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I used to get what I believe you are referring to quite often when I was overweight and didn't do much. I believe this is your diaphragm or similar breathing muscles that are working harder than they are used to and so build up some lactic acid and cramp. I believe the pain goes away when you are walking because the muscles are getting warmed up, you're taking in more oxygen, etc. It's kind of like how your legs will be stiff at first, but then start working better after a little movement.
  • lunasoltierra
    lunasoltierra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That exact same thing its happening to me right now. That's what brought me here from Google. I started exercising two weeks ago and this last few days whenever i start walking for more than a minute I get this pain under my right rib cage. It happens while exercising and while walking around and I walk a lot. The pain eventually goes away after a few minutes or if I stop walking. After reading all the replies I'm thinking it's my body trying to adjust to the weight lost or trying to adjust to my new active lifestyle. I used to walk but not to exercise and now I'm working out so I think its the body trying to adjust. Though if it last for too long I might get a doctor's appointment. Did your pain ever go away, did you have to go to the Doctor.
  • Peakel
    Peakel Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same thing on my right side under the rib cage. Its only when I walk and I walk alot. Even short distances can be painful.

I have had a similiar pain before on my left side and that was when I was either sitting (at work only) or walking. I went to the doctor about it and he said that I had damaged the muscle that surrounds the rib, a condition called Costochondritis, apparently commonly caused by coughing. The pain went away on its own after a month or so but now that it has returned on the other side I'm not so sure if this is the right diagnosis!
  • karenerb902
    Options
    ashinams did you ever find out what the right rib pain was
  • Dedshot
    Dedshot Posts: 145
    Options
    When I walk too much or run after I've eaten, this happens to me. It happens on my left side, but it's right under my rib cage. I always chalked it up to eating too soon before moving.
  • dodochoga
    dodochoga Posts: 33
    Options
    It happens to me whenever I run. To me, it's a very normal thing that happened since childhood. If you are alarmed see a doctor.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    If you had gallstones, you'd know it. It's a pain like no other. Doctors put it up there with kidney stones and childbirth as one of the most painful conditions you can have.

More than likely it's gas. If it only occurs when you walk, then you might try things like sparkling water, gas-x, running a few minutes before you walk, things like that.

If it persists, or occurs at other times, you might want to get it checked out.