Help!!! Not losing weight

Options
Hi friends! Two years ago, I was able to lose 45 lbs using MFP at a 1200 calorie diet with almost no exercise... The weight came off pretty easily then. I got pregnant with baby #2, gained most of it back and lost a bit once he was born but not all so here I am again! I've been diligently tracking my calories for a month at 1500/day as I'm still nursing him about once a day. I've lost weight (about 3lbs) only to find the next morning the weight is back! I drink around 100 oz of water each day and try to stay active as well. I'm so confused!!! I've always lost a lot of weight in the beginning and then had it slow down but my weight just keeps going up and down! Anyone experienced this?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    sbaker4491 wrote: »
    I've lost weight (about 3lbs) only to find the next morning the weight is back!

Do you weight every day? Once a week?

I assume you are weighing first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and either in the same clothes or naked?

Even with those same conditions, my weight fluctuates by 2-3 lbs morning to morning. What you are looking for is an overall trend down. But each weigh-in can be affected by water, TOM, etc. Also not uncommon when you start a new exercise plan, that your body hangs on to more water to repair the muscles. Give it more time. If you can, use something like TrendWeight to take the average of daily weigh-ins. Or only weigh once a month. 3 lbs in a month is good, one day up/down could be anything.

• sbaker4491
    sbaker4491 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I assume you are weighing first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and either in the same clothes or naked?

Even with those same conditions, my weight fluctuates by 2-3 lbs morning to morning. What you are looking for is an overall trend down. But each weigh-in can be affected by water, TOM, etc. Also not uncommon when you start a new exercise plan, that your body hangs on to more water to repair the muscles. Give it more time. If you can, use something like TrendWeight to take the average of daily weigh-ins. Or only weigh once a month. 3 lbs in a month is good, one day up/down could be anything.

I weigh in mornings after using bathroom, naked. Not currently on any kind of exercise regiment. Just trying to stay active through The day and not be a couch potato. When I go back up in weight, it takes me a good week to get those 3 lbs off again and then they come right back. I'm so confused. My measurements have gone down but without exercise and just diet, I'm not sure how that's possible?
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Weight will go up and down. If you weigh daily and log your weight in a spreadsheet to graph it, you will see a bunch of zig zags. But you should also see a downward trend if you are eating at a caloric deficit.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Scales don't tell the whole story. Keep everything going another month and see where you are at, not only scale weight but measurements as well.
  • caednkat
    caednkat Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know some people can lose weight while nursing but I was never one of those people. My body would not let go of the majority of the "baby" weight until we weaned. I've nursed 4 kids and had the same thing happen with each one of them. Give it time. Eat healthy, move more and eventually the weight will come off. Probably not what you want to hear but it was the truth for me all 4 times. About a month after we weaned the weight would start coming off. Hormones play such a big part in everything for my body.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

I weigh in mornings after using bathroom, naked. Not currently on any kind of exercise regiment. Just trying to stay active through The day and not be a couch potato. When I go back up in weight, it takes me a good week to get those 3 lbs off again and then they come right back. I'm so confused. My measurements have gone down but without exercise and just diet, I'm not sure how that's possible?

If your measurements are going down, you're probably losing body fat. You definitely don't need exercise to lose fat or lose weight. If measurements are going down, I would use that as a more reliable marker.

Sometimes between two days it will look like you 'gained' 2 lbs but it's just water fluctuations. The other flip side of the coin is, sometimes it will look like I 'lost' a couple pounds, but I will be back up again next day. I figure in those cases I probably did not really lose the weight, that I might just have been particular dehydrated. Unfortunately you need to look at a longer trend over time. If you haven't lost weight after 6 weeks, re-evaluate, make sure you are weighing your food and logging it accurately. It's a process.

• Susiepoop345
    Susiepoop345 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing as well & I'm in the same boat. When you weigh yourself and it varrys it could be your milk supply in. So I wouldn't worry. This is my 3rd child nursing and I've never been able to loose till I wean. Really frustrating too because I'm working out 5x a week cardio! Just keep eating healthy and when you wean lbs will melt off.
  • sbaker4491
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! I will keep on keeping on!!! ;) been trying to wean my son as he is almost 2 so hopefully that helps!
  • Susiepoop345
    Susiepoop345 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Awesome job nursing your son for so long!!
  • sbaker4491
    Options
    Awesome job nursing your son for so long!!

Thank you!!!! :)