what to eat

Options
I have very bad eating habits. On most days I only eat once a day. I am just not hungry. I know that this is one of the reasons I struggle when trying to lose weight. I try to buy little things that I can snack on throughout the day, but I cannot maintain it. Within a week I lose interest in force feeding myself.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat once a day. In a calorie deficit.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options

I do not understand..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I do not understand..

What don't you understand? If you're not losing weight it's because you're not in a calorie deficit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating once a day or ten times a day. The important thing is how many calories you eat, not when you eat them. So don't force yourself to eat, just eat to your calorie goal for your one meal a day.
  • wishfullthinking79
    edited January 2016
    Options

I do not understand..

What don't you understand? If you're not losing weight it's because you're not in a calorie deficit.

When I said I do not understand I meant how this could be true. Before I fractured my knee I was in the gym at 4am at least 5 days a week. Did 20 to 30 minutes of cardio with an hour of working out with weights. With the exception of splurging at times on sweets and my one coke I alloted myself a day I eat really healthy. In two years I only maybe lost 5 pounds. This was discouraging but I felt amazing. I was following doctors orders and eating with my nighttime meds which caused me to gain weight. So now I weigh more than I have in 4 years. I feel like crap and I am extremely uncomfortable.

I am here just looking for help. I have obviously not done this the way it is supposed to be done in the past. I feel like I could really learn something.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I do not understand..

When I said I do not understand I meant how this could be true. Before I fractured my knee I was in the gym at 4am at least 5 days a week. Did 20 to 30 minutes of cardio with an hour of working out with weights. With the exception of splurging at times on sweets and my one coke I alloted myself a day I eat really healthy. In two years I only maybe lost 5 pounds. This was discouraging but I felt amazing. I was following doctors orders and eating with my nighttime meds which caused me to gain weight. So now I weigh more than I have in 4 years. I feel like crap and I am extremely uncomfortable.

I am here just looking for help. I have obviously not done this the way it is supposed to be done in the past. I feel like I could really learn something.

If you didn't lose weight while "eating healthy," it was because you were not in a calorie deficit -- not because you were eating at night. "Eating healthy" isn't going to result in weight loss.

You can lose weight eating at night if you're in a calorie deficit overall. Many people here (including myself) have lost weight while eating at night.

• wishfullthinking79
    Options
    I guess maybe I do not understand how to figure this out. I have assumed that by eating less than 1200 calories while working out I was in a deficit. This is really good to know. Where can I find out what is the most calories I should consume if I want to lose weight? Or can you tell me??

Some of the weight gain I attributed to me eating and going to bed like 30 to 45 minutes after. Since I started eating my dinner earlier in the evening and just taking my night time meds around 8 I have lost 5 pounds. But, there were many factors that could have played a role in the weight gain I experienced. I know that cant be the only reason.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Enter your stats into your MFP Goals. Enter a weekly weight loss goal (usually either 1/2 or 1 lb/week). MFP will calculate your daily calories to lose that amount of weight. Weigh and measure your food, enter it into your diary and stay within MFP's limit.
    If/When you exercise, add that and eat back around 50% of the calories suggested. This will fuel your workouts.

Using this method will allow you to lose the weight in a sustainable manner. Good luck. You can do this.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I guess maybe I do not understand how to figure this out. I have assumed that by eating less than 1200 calories while working out I was in a deficit. This is really good to know. Where can I find out what is the most calories I should consume if I want to lose weight? Or can you tell me??

Some of the weight gain I attributed to me eating and going to bed like 30 to 45 minutes after. Since I started eating my dinner earlier in the evening and just taking my night time meds around 8 I have lost 5 pounds. But, there were many factors that could have played a role in the weight gain I experienced. I know that cant be the only reason.

If you enter your stats into MFP, you should get a calorie goal.

If you regularly eat less than 1,200 calories and aren't losing weight, then something else is going on. It could be a logging issue (you're eating more than you think you are) or there may be something else going on. But eating in the evening won't keep you from losing weight if you're eating at a deficit. Opening your diary may get you some more useful advice on your logging.
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I do not understand..

What meds are you on?
    You really should include as much info as poss before someone answers your question rather that including info which prevents a straight forward answer being acceptable after an answer has been given.

Contact your Dr or a dietitian if you have ongoing issues. Please.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Then stop, continue on.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you can eat once a day or 10 times a day. as long as you burn more than you eat, it doesn't matter.
  • wishfullthinking79
    edited January 2016
    Options
    i wanted to say thank you to everyone who has responded.. You all have given me a lot to think about. I cannot tell you how much I really do appreciate it. I really didnt think to mention my medications but I see how that could definitely prevent me from seeing the results I want to see. This journey has just started for me. I want to lose weight but more importantly I want to be as healthy as I can. Here in the very near future I am buying a scale for my kitchen while trying to syay away from the other scale.

Once I have tracked my food for at least a week I will definitely make it open.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    i wanted to say thank you to everyone who has responded.. You all have given me a lot to think about. I cannot tell you how much I really do appreciate it. I really didnt think to mention my medications but I see how that could definitely prevent me from seeing the results I want to see. This journey has just started for me. I want to lose weight but more importantly I want to be as healthy as I can. Here in the very near future I am buying a scale for my kitchen while trying to syay away from the other scale.

Once I have tracked my food for at least a week I will definitely make it open.

This sounds like a really good plan. Until I started weighing my food, I had no idea how much I was overconsuming. Once I could see that, it made so much more sense why I was struggling.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Using a food scale was an eye opener for me, too. If anything can teach portion control, it's a kitchen scale.
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    I am really curious to see the difference once I start weighing the portions. I had read a post last night that where one member stated that the other member was obsessed with the wrong scale. This definitely hit home for me because I too am obsessed with weighing myself. I can't say for certain that I can change that behavior. On that note I would really like to purchase a new scale.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I haven't got a weigh scale for myself at home. I use one at work (always the same scale). It's a bother to go to so I only weigh when I'm losing and then only once a week (if I remember to).
  • DarthMommaMisty
    DarthMommaMisty Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I get that way too so I drink organic homemade green smoothies with hemp seed for breakfast and lunch alot of the times. It ensures that I'm getting enough vitamins and protein. Just make sure when you do eat that your eating healthy, not processed crap.