New to Salads

Options
Hello as the title suggests I am new to salads. For a long time I hated most veggies, but recently I tried and loved baby spinach. As I'm trying to eat better I'm trying to eat a salad a day, and am looking for additions to a spinach and orange salad for a very very picky eater. Thanks

Replies

• Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I eat a salad made of baby spinach, tomato, cuccumber, bell pepper, hard boiled egg, leftover meat if i have some and tuna. U can add nuts, or red beans cold. My salads usually end up with some combination of these things. I use an olive oil based dressing. You can add sliced raw mushrooms too. Gosh, there are soooo many different things u can make a salad from. You should probably try different things. My fattening salads used to be lettuce, tomato, cuccumber, cheese, bacon bits and lots of ranch dressing. And that is still my favorite salad ever, but I've made the choice to eat a more nutritious and less fattening salad. Be brave and try new foods. Good luck to u!
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My favorite easy salad is

Baby spinach
    Arugula
    Chopped baby carrots
    Chopped cherry tomatoes
    +
    Salt
    Balsamic vinegar

• QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the same salad when I eat salad. Tomatoes, onions, feta, lettuce/spinach, cucumber, chicken/tuna, salt & pepper and balsamic reduction.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've taken to just putting whatever I'd normally eat on its own on a salad. Chili? On a salad. Stew? On a salad. Soup? ...well, maybe not soup.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I get the little tubs of gorgonzola/blue cheese at the store and they make for some delicious salads!

My fav combo so far is gorgonzola, sliced pear, with leftover roast beef and a mustard vinaigrette. I usually sprinkle slivered almonds over every salad, but a candied/sugared nut would be better.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach with almond slices, dried cranberries, hard boiled egg or chicken, and Dijon vinegrette.
  • tbshea3
    tbshea3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone they all sound great!
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Here are my 2 favorite entree salads. You can put the toppings on in any quantity you want, but keep your calorie goals in mind.

Chicken and strawberries
    Start with a bed of greens (spring mix works just fine), add cooked chicken breast, sliced strawberries, walnuts, and a sprinkle of crumbled goat cheese. Top with a good vinaigrette (Brianna's blush wine vinaigrette is my personal favorite).

Steak and blue cheese
    Start with a bed of salad greens. Add thinly sliced flank steak, sliced plums, pecans, and crumbled blue cheese. Top with a vinaigrette dressing.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »
    I've taken to just putting whatever I'd normally eat on its own on a salad. Chili? On a salad. Stew? On a salad. Soup? ...well, maybe not soup.

Soup! I add spinach to soup all the time! I put raw baby spinach in the bowl, then pour boiling hot soup over it. By the time the soup's cooled down enough to eat, the spinach is "cooked" enough.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

Yup, plus whatever you'd normally eat in a sandwich may go especially well on greens.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been eating a salad of the following for lunch:
    baby spinach
    chopped carrots
    chopped celery
    tomato
    cucumber
    1 can of tuna in water, drained
    2-3 tablespoons of light buffalo ranch dressing

Lately, my boyfriend has been a fan of the following for lunch:
    baby spinach
    dried cranberries
    chopped pecans
    crumbled blue cheese
    vinaigrette dressing
    He sometimes adds sunflower seeds, as well.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I eat large spinach salads but found that the amount of veggies I need to add to make any significant nutritional benefit is a lot. So I add small amount of things I like or add fiber/protein: green olives, turkey pepperoni, chickpeas, and grilled chicken breast or other leftover lean meat.

I highly recommend using Bolthouse yogurt dressing. They are typically in the refrigerated produce section. Calorie range is 35-45 per serving.
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Haha, I totally do that! I'll even put salad on my baked potato, and THEN soup on that!
  • seabrzjo
    seabrzjo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    ... I highly recommend using Bolthouse yogurt dressing. They are typically in the refrigerated produce section. Calorie range is 35-45 per serving.

I also LOVE Bolthouse and it's the only Blue Cheese dressing I have used in years. Delicious! The creamy Blue Cheese is only 35 cal for 2 TB, but I think their vinaigrette BC is a little higher.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I really like the Bolthouse Yogurt Cesar dressing. Have it in my lunch box today!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I actually love buying the pre-packaged salads at Walmart or Kroger (I don't pay attention to macros, so I can't help you there). They have tons of variety. But otherwise, I have two favorite salads-

1-- mixed greens, candied pecans, dried cranberries, croutons, feta cheese, kidney beans, raspberry vinaigrette dressing

2-- wedge salad (wedge of iceberg) with bacon, sunflower seeds, chopped tomatoes and cucumber, and bleu cheese dressing

• KUAngie
    KUAngie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse dressing- avocado cilantro!!

I eat spinach salads at least 4 days per week. Love it! I usually put a protein- either turkey pepperoni mini's (don't judge!) or chicken or steak (but usually less that 2 oz, mozzarella cheese, shredded carrots, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, peas, and a few croutons. For dressing I usually do balsamic vinegar mixed with a smidge of olive oil. This is very filling because I usually use 2-3 cups of spinach, but the whole salad is usually around 300 calories depending on my toppings. My next favorite dressing is Panera's Asian Sesame. If I want something a little more hearty, I will use less spinach, and add quinoa to the mix.