I'm Tired of hearing I can't

Options
Hello everyone! I am not new to MFP, but this is the first time I have ever posted anything. I am at the heaviest I have ever been in my life, 275 and I'm 5'7. I have a hypothyroid problem, which by know means am I using as an excuse. I am tired of my doctors telling me that I can't loose weight without the medications that have terrible side affects. I just need motivation an accountability. My family, although loving, is know help. They are all slim and "healthy". I want to be "around" people who are in my situation, feed up and tired of being fat and unhealthy. I know that together we can do this, its hard going at it alone.

Replies

• Ginger7658
    Ginger7658 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well done you for telling it like it is, my sister has the same problem as you and have to say it took years of tweaking her meds before they got it right Please feel free to add me as a pal on here if you want to
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If you want motivation, you need to take a good, honest look at why YOU want to lose weight. Not what others say or what you think it should be, but your reason. It doesn't have to be 'to get healthy'. That wasn't mine. I knew I needed to lose weight, my doctors told me to lose weight, but that wasn't enough. I would try for a while and give up. It wasn't until we got our wedding pictures back and I realized I looked fat in them that I started and kept going.

You CAN lose the weight. It will be harder for you with your hypothyroid, but it is totally possible. You need to find your own reason, and I would suggest talking to another doctor. There are many different meds for hyperthyroid, and getting a second opinion would be a good idea. There might be something your current doctor doesn't know, and anyways, having him/her telling you can't lose weight without meds doesn't strike me as good advice! As Ginger said, you will probably have to try different combos to find what works for you, but once you do, this becomes eaiser.
  • caramelcutie84
    caramelcutie84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've spoken to 3 different doctors they have all said the same thing. The medical field has become a serious business in my opinion. I want to lose the weight because I'm getting older and my body can't handle it. I don't have the energy i use too and i don't like how i look in my clothes anymore. I want to do this purely for ME
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that you don't want to take medication to treat your hypothyroidism?
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would look into different med options for your condition. There are many options, and if you are being dosed correctly, you shouldn't have terrible side effects. I take Armour thyroid everyday, and I have never had an issue, it is when I don't take it that I do. If you can find something that works for you it will make your journey so much easier.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    You need to start telling yourself YOU CAN! Yes, weight gain is a symptom of hypothyroidism. That doesn't mean you can't improve your health. That doesn't mean you can't lose weight.

Sorry, but I find it kind of hard to believe that 3 doctors have told you that you can't lose weight on the thyroid meds. Perhaps they've said it will be difficult, but nothing is impossible. Both my sister and my husband are hypothyroid. They both have to work hard to maintain normal weight, but they do it. For themselves!

I take a medication where the number one side effect is weight gain. When I first started taking it I quickly put on nearly 40 pounds in 6 months. None of my clothes fit and I didn't want anyone taking pictures of me. I was getting depressed. Worst Christmas ever and I was starting to eat for comfort. Then, last January I finally woke up. I decided it was time for a change. I had a pretty healthy diet, but I ate way too much of everything. I didn't really count calories or watch what I ate. I drank way too much wine. I exercised, but not enough (obviously) to prevent the gain. I realized that if I didn't make a change I was going to quickly go from being just overweight to obese. I was not going to go there.

I still have to take the meds, so I needed to change other things. I started following MFP calorie guidelines for weight loss, decreased my alcohol consumption, and increased my exercise. Slowly, the weight has come off. Sometimes a pound a week, sometimes 3 weeks with no loss, then a half pound gone and so on. I've had to be patient. It has taken a year, but I'm now within 5 pounds of a healthy BMI.

You can do this for yourself. Prove those doctors are wrong!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind, it's ok to start slow and build. Start with one change, give yourself a couple weeks to get used to it, and change something else. Starting slow helps you get used to the changes and builds a foundation for you to keep going. Trying to make all your changes at once is overwhelming, which is why it took me so long to get started.
  • serenitywsu
    serenitywsu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My sister has the same problem, but once she started cutting out processed food she saw improvement! She may not ever get to a skinny minnie, but who cares, she is healthier now! Just find what works with YOUR body, maybe its not the terrible medication. Maybe sugar triggers your condition, or processed food, maybe weightlifting isn't as good for you as cardio, or maybe weight lifting is better. Experiment and try things until YOU feel like you are doing what is right!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I had a total thyroidectomy in 2000 and had a physically demanding job up until 2003. From 2003-2014 I managed to put on ~60lbs. I finally had enough and decided to lose the weight and get back in shape and have been in maintenance mode for close to 6 months now.

Great that you made this decision and realize that it is nothing more than an excuse. There are several elite athletes with hypothyroidism, including Jillian Micheals.

Make a plan, stick with it and be patient.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    my mom has hypothyroidism, and she can lose weight, she has to worker harder than most people. but it is very important to work with an endocrinologist because as you lose weight your meds will have to be adjusted. if they are not you can/will plateau and it will throw every thing out of wack.