How to breathe while running?

Options
I'm wanting to lose weight and I know running is a great way to exercise. My question is, how do you breathe while running?

I've managed to run for 1 measly minute and end up on all fours with my tongue laying out of my mouth panting like a dog in the summer.

I want to push through, I want to feel this runner's high that people speak of....but how do you BREATHE while running??!!!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Slow down. If you are on all fours with your tongue hanging out you are running too fast. Don't even say "but I'm running slowly" because my next response will be "you are still running too fast."

You may be interested in a program like C25k or Jeff Galloway's beginner conditioning program, which both have you ease into running using walk/run intervals.
  • KaponoMama
    KaponoMama Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ok thank you both! I have the C25k app and I'm really going to give it a try! I want to become a runner and end up enjoying it.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    you're not going to like my response......
    Slow down :wink:
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    You want to breathe from your belly. You get less oxygen when you breathe with only your chest and thus tire quicker.

Look up diaphragmatic breathing. This is how you should breathe all day in fact, but especially when you're doing cardio. Your belly should push out (yeah, it doesn't look sexy for anyone) as you inhale and the diaphragm goes downward. When you "chest breathe" your diaphragm goes upward and you're not getting as much oxygen as you could.

A good way to practice this is to lie down on your back. Put your hand over your belly. Inhale through the nose and feel your hand rise with your belly while your chest stays still. You should feel your ribcage expand. Exhale through your mouth as your belly lowers. Bam, more oxygen in the lungs. The next step is to be mindful of your breathing throughout the day until eventually it becomes a habit. Pay attention to your breathing pattern while you're running. Breathe in through your mouth and don't worry about how it looks.

A lot of times people wanna look sexy while they run and they tighten up their abs and breathe with their nose with mouth closed like it's no biggie. This is inefficient regardless if you can pull it off.

Good luck and keep going! We've all felt how you felt. :blush:
  • 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,871 Member
    Options
    This is a great post for me as well. I feel like I can't run because I tire easily and know my breathing isn't right. I will need to look into breathing techniques and doing a walking-to-running program.

Thanks for the post!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Slow down. If you are on all fours with your tongue hanging out you are running too fast. Don't even say "but I'm running slowly" because my next response will be "you are still running too fast."

You may be interested in a program like C25k or Jeff Galloway's beginner conditioning program, which both have you ease into running using walk/run intervals.

This! Slow down!

You should be able to carry on a conversation on most of your runs / while you are running. Not necessarily easily talk, but you should be able to talk to someone. If you can easily sing, you are running too slowly. If you can't carry on a conversation, too fast. When I started running, my jogging pace was about even with a fast walking pace for me. You will get faster, don't sweat it now. Just try to be in a 'jogging form' at whatever slowest pace you need to get the minutes you are trying to get. I also couldn't jog for more than a minute when I started, that's normal. If you are consistent, 3x a week, but don't overdo it, you'll find yourself improving in just a couple weeks. It's difficult to get better at pace and at distance at the same time. Now you need to work on distance. As you work on distance, the pace will come. Keep at it!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Short answer is slowly built up your fitness and let your body do it's thing. All the stuff about controlling your breathing, deep breaths, through the noise, etc are taken out of context.

"Ventilation is regulated in much the same manner as cardiac output. The heart increases cardiac output by increasing both stroke volume and beating frequency. The respiratory nerves control ventilation similarly. At low exercise workloads, the dominant ventilatory adjustment is an increase in tidal volume, the volume of air being moved in and out of the lungs each breath. At high workloads, an increase in breathing frequency is the primary adjustment.
    Unlike heart function, ventilation is under considerable voluntary control (with involuntary override mechanisms!). So, you might ask the question, "Can I control my breathing to make it more efficient?" For example, you could decrease the breathing frequency and take bigger deeper breaths to achieve the same total ventilation volume. Studies have indicated that normally the body spontaneously balances the depth of ventilation and the frequency of breathing so that ventilation is optimally efficient. You may also have noticed that at low exercise intensities, you can "play" more with your breathing, by varying its rate and depth. However, as the workload gets high, especially at workloads above the lactate (and ventilatory) threshold, the body assumes much tighter control on breathing and there is far less room for variation in breathing "strategies.""

The Methods and Mechanisms Underlying Performance by Stephen Seiler

See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3934509/ & cited reference for more info.
  • KaponoMama
    KaponoMama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Everybody's replies have been so helpful! I can't wait to implement these things on my next run/jog/walk.

I think I try to sprint and tire out soon then end up being frustrated, so the app will help me build my tolerance from walking to jogging to running!

It's so reassuring to know that I'm not the only one that has felt this way about running. Thanks fitness pals!! :*:)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    slow down.

no secrete to "breathe in- breathe out" other than "keep doing it"

what you're struggling with is speed- so slow down. You an do it!!!
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm admittedly awful at the running thing... but in case if you want more ideas:

In the beginning of my running, I had the same problem as you! So I would inhale for two steps and then exhale for three steps. No idea if that's wise or not, but i figured an odd pattern of breathing would work both sides of my abs. And if I was struggling to get enough air at that pace, then I would slow down until I could keep that breathing pattern.

Now, though, I find that if I pay attention to the "feel" of my heartrate (not necessarily by taking my pulse at my neck, but can I "feel" it pounding through my head or chest or whatever), that helps me recognize when I need to slow down. If I have to take my pulse with my fingers on my neck (because I can't count the beats otherwise), then I'm probably doing ok. If I can obviously tell how fast my pulse is going without lifting a finger, then I'm probably going too fast and am going to struggle for breath soon.
  • deannawillsey
    deannawillsey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started running about 4 years ago and have now run 13 full marathons and probably 100+ half marathons. (I might have gone a little overboard.) In my opinion, at the beginning, it's not about breathing right, it's about getting a solid aerobic base. Plus, my breathing is probably hardest and most labored in the first mile of any run until my body gets loose and settles into a rhythm (and I was running 40 miles a week). The feedback about slowing down is great advice. Slow down...or take tiny walk breaks (just don't let them get out of hand) as you build endurance. Couch 2 5k is a great app for beginners (it's what I used as well). Over time, you'll find your "happy pace" and be able to carry on conversation on a leisurely run. Just stick with it and it'll come. It may take a couple months of regular running to get a solid base but it's worth it...and the "high" will come. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making it for a minute! That's more than many people, including me, lasted the first time.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It's helpful for me to pace my breathing with my footfalls. Breathe in for 4 steps, breathe out for 4. Once I get the breathing in rhythm, I vary the depth based on how I'm feeling.

Now, if I can just get my knees and ankles to cooperate, I'll be good! Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    KaponoMama wrote: »
    .....but how do you BREATHE while running??!!!

In, then out... if I fancy a change I go for out, then in...

No need to overthink it.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    One of the best things about becoming a runner is the day you realize you are running and breathing normally! I used a C25K-like app (it was called Get Running) and I think by week 7-8 I felt like a totally different person. Congrats on getting started! I hope you love it as much as I do now.
  • sineadc94
    sineadc94 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was in that position a few months ago! Sounds like you had the same problem I did where you never really learnt to jog just sprint or walk.
    Every run I was doing for about two months I just couldn't understand how people just kept going until I realised I was going too fast and taking strides that were way too big.
    Now I can run 5km without stopping and do it way quicker than my old sprint then walk method. So yea as everyone has said above best way is to really concentrate on just slowing down and realising the difference between sprinting and jogging! Hope this helps.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    If that's happening to you then you really are running WAY too hard. Slow down, even if you're barely doing more than a trickle of a jog . You should be able to speak while doing it. With time will come your pace and distance. I think I breathe with my mouth open a bit and breathe in and out through both my nose and mouth. I started out the same as you though. It was discouraging but also made me that much more determine to "get there". Try C25K. It really is a solid program to get you going .
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    One of the best things about becoming a runner is the day you realize you are running and breathing normally! I used a C25K-like app (it was called Get Running) and I think by week 7-8 I felt like a totally different person. Congrats on getting started! I hope you love it as much as I do now.

Yes....breathing "normally" at a decent pace and distance. Best feeling, ever. But it takes a while.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Slow down and then slow down some more.....your breathing should be deep but relaxed. It takes time to build your aerobic base and you'll find even champion ultra-marathoners do most of their runs at a conversational pace (really hard when you first start out but if you can't speak in complete sentences you're going too fast)

Depending on your level of fitness you may even want to stick with walking briskly at first. It takes patience & consistency.

Have fun!
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that going slow at the start is the way to go! Even if you feel like you're going slow, slow down again! Like really, at the start I think my running pace was about the same pace that I walked at.... But one day I realized how much faster I'd gotten without even noticing!
    I found that easing into running with intervals of walking and then running was the best thing for me. Programs like C25K are brilliant for this! I have asthma and thought that I'd never be able to run, but I did it and love it!
    One other tip - I found that one way at the start to help with my breathing was to inhale twice for every exhale - otherwise I felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen!
    Keep persevering, and good luck! :smiley: