Help with smoothie!

Options
I just bought a Vitamix and I'd like to start drinking smoothies for breakfast. The problem I'm having is putting protein in it. I can't do protein powders because I have serious sensitivities to the ingredients. Can't do dairy as I'm very sensitive to it, so I'm trying to get some protein in the morning. This morning I did put a tablespoon of cashew butter and cashew milk, but I do need to be careful of too many calories. Any ideas?
Thank you :)

Replies

• MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i used hemp hearts for protein & fat in my smoothies.
    i started using nuzest lean clean protein powder not too long ago, its a pea protein powder (does not taste like it) with under 5 ingredients, its all natural and great for those with allergies to diary and other ingredients found in other protein brands.. the wild strawberry flavor is delicious with vanilla almond milk.
  • tenkides
    tenkides Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Carnation breakfast essentials may be one you can drink.
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Have you considered organic pea protein---plain unflavored? It's available in bulk (the scoop bin) at Whole Foods). It's only ingredient is yellow pea. It's has higher sodium, but it's a great sub for people with sensitivities or vegans. I mix mine with almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, agave or honey, banana, or berries, spinach, flax or chia seed, peppermint extract. Tastes like a chocolate peppermint shake! Yum!

Recipe:
    1C unsweetened almond milk (30 cal)
    1/2 banana (50 cal)
    1T organic unsweetened cocoa powder (20 cal)
    1T agave or honey (60 cal)
    1T Chia or flax seed (30 cal)
    1C raw, organic baby spinach (7 cal)
    1/4 cup organic pea protein (120 cal)
    1C ice cubes

Optional:
    1/2 tsp peppermint/ coconut or almond extract for great flavor

Blend and YUM!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Make up the protein for lunch, dinner and snacks. Or have a small smoothie with a side of eggs, chicken, etc.
  • rhapsodygal
    rhapsodygal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions and ideas :) This is all new to me, one day at a time
  • maxally777
    maxally777 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like to add chia seeds to my smoothies. You can dissolve a tablespoon in s couple oz of water let it sit about 10 min until it s like a gel then ad to s smoothie
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I can't do dairy either. I use soy milk and a rice protein powder I like:
    http://www.nutribiotic.com/organic-rice-protein-vanilla-21oz.html
    ===
    For a while I was making my smoothies like this:
    1) coconut water, 2) about 200 calories of nuts or chia seeds or hemp seeds, 3) small piece of fruit like an apple, and 4) as much Romaine as would fit into the container.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I put almond milk, soaked chia seeds, spinach, and frozen fruit into my daughter's smoothies. Sometimes a little peanut flour too.
  • rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Greek yogurt! I use vanilla. Plain is just too tangy for me.

Edit: Oops! Went back and saw you can't do diary. Does soy yogurt have good protein? Yes, Chia and hemp and almond milk. Also pepitas and almonds. I use small, weighed portions to stay on track with calories, but even just a little protein keeps me going until a later, higher-protein meal.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A few slices of bacon on the side isn't a lot of calories, or an egg or two. Both can be precooked for grab-and-go.

I occasionally have put egg whites in a smoothie, but I'm not afraid of salmonella from raw egg.

It sounds like the pea protein might be your best bet, if you want it 100% safe and 100% drinkable.
  • rhapsodygal
    Options
    I just ordered pea protein off Amazon :) Thank you all for great advice!
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Have you tried putting oats inside? They go great in any smoothie, and you can't even taste it.
  • rhapsodygal
    Options
    I'm sensitive to oats also :(
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I use a vitamin too. It takes care of seeds. Chia does not need to be soaked first. You can add cooked or canned beans, nuts, a variety of seeds. I also add fresh cooked garden greens, berries, a little banana, and water. You could use almond milk. I make in the evening and drink next morning, half each before and after the gym.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Try cooked quinoa. It's a complete protein.
  • rhapsodygal
    Options
    I didn't know that about quinoa! Thank you!