Sore hips after 8 miles

Options
Just checking with all my fellow runners....is there any natural supplement I can take so my hips dont get sore when I run 8 miles or more???? A friend and I were discussing this last night on our 8 mile run.......i have been f ine up to this point but if I take the day after a long run off then I feel fine....>Just wondered if there is something out there that can prevent sore hips or joints when running a distance:0)

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I know omega 3 is an anti-inflamatory, but I'm not a runner so I can't say for sure it'd work.
  • inafit16177
    Options
    bump
  • MisterAdams
    Options
    Not really anything that you can supplement. The best thing to do is try not to increase your mileage too much too soon and be faithful to taking rest days. I went through the same stuff a while back and it seemed like it just took some time to allow my body to adjust to the extra mileage. But, more important than anything else is being very aware of your training regimen and how your current level of activity relates to your level of hip discomfort.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I don't know about natural supplements, but I took Osteo-Biflex Triple Strength when I started running b/c my knees were bothering me. A year later and having switched to VFF's recently, I am off the Osteo and have zero joint pain. My bone density went from 7.3 - 8.1 while taking it. Now it is holding at 8.0.
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    Are you stretching after your runs also? My chiropractor showed me some stretches to "open up" my hips. Maybe that will help.
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    I agree with MisterAdams - you have to take your rest day. But you should also consider doing some stretching - When I was training for my first marathon, I started a yoga class about 6 weeks after I started my training and I really noticed a huge improvement everywhere. All my aches and pains were diminished considerably.
  • mini_girl7
    mini_girl7 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have run a couple1/2's and I only run 3 times per week when training -- one speed, one long, one short -- the rest of the days I cross-train w/ elliptical or other cardio. After a long run, if your hips are sore, puts some miles in walking the dog, hit the elliptical, do yoga. I enjoy running and putting in a hard workout, but I don't love it enough to run every day -- changing things up helps your body become more balanced since you're using different muscles. This answer is, of course, not scientific just personal opinion. Good luck with your training! :smile:
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Quercetin/bromelain is a natural combination supplement that has anti-inflammitory properties. But also, Google psoas stretches. These are stretches and yoga poses that will help loosen your hips and lower back. It is possible that you just may be too tight after running.