In your 30's ...

Options
I am finding out that the saying of "it gets harder to lose weight in your 30s" is very much true for me. I am 34 and I'm learning that I need to really switch up my habits in order to see results. I exercise about 3 days a week (OrangeTheory) but I wanted to get some thoughts and/or ideas from people who saw this problem and got through it.

What did you change? Eating? Exercise? Combo of both?

Thanks!!

Replies

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I am 35 and lost 150 pounds last year in 9 months. This was the easiest and quickest I've ever lost weight. No exercise, just a deficit. I must say that I was on a 1300 calorie diet and was supervised by my doctor. I didn't change anything about eating, just ate less. No magic pills, no magic foods, just whatever I wanted but less.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 and find it as straightforward as it would have been had I taken the same approach when I was 24. Things haven't gone downhill that drastically since you hit 30 to make a huge impact. I was a full-time dance student when I was in my early 20s and I wasn't skinny because I ate too much. I'm on track to be smaller than I was at that time and I expend far fewer calories now.

So, I log everything, I eat to goal, I weigh solids and measure liquids where possible. I exercise so I can eat more and get a sexy bod.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm 33yrs old and have been consistently losing 1.5lbs per week. I'm actually finding it fairly easy, eating 1400-1500 calories per day, exercise when possible (eat those calories back too!), I'm only 9lbs away from my goal weight, tbh, I thought it would be a lot harder. Calories in vs calories out-that's it!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I started losing at age 37 and found it no more difficult/easy than when I was in my 20s.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm 31, and the process was simple. Eat less than I need in a given day. I did that for 239 days (ok, subtract ~30 days due to vacation, holidays, birthdays). I'm down from 220 to 174lb. I did the same exact thing over 6 years ago when I dropped from ~210 to 185.

While I exercised, it wasn't to lose weight, but to get in better shape. I lift 3x/week and I sometimes do some cardio.

And, every time I failed to lose weight it was because I either didn't count calories or had too extreme of a deficit. I really don't know why I "forgot" (or at least ignored) what I knew and followed 2 stupid diets on and off a while back. The calorie deficit was too large (1200, 1500, or 1700 depending on where you were in the cycle, 1700 was the only one that wasn't murder). When I started with MFP I ate 1760 + exercise calories to lose 2lb/week so it was actually sustainable.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and losing weight just fine, but I don't have an aggressive deficit going on. I set my goal at .5 lbs a week and meet it easily when I'm on track. By on track I mean logging all foods, logging as accurate as I can using a food scale, being consistent with my exercise and intake, having realistic weight loss expectations, understanding weight loss isn't linear. If I do all that, this shiz is easy!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Not for me. Even if my BMR/RMR is lower or age has worn away at my stamina or structural integrity, I am not nearly as impatient or as dramatic or as lacking in foresight as I was in my 20's all of which certainly hindered my ability to focus or be disciplined in my 20's.

Trust the process, and change things up if it helps to keep thing interesting. If you're really not getting results you expect, reevaluate what you're doing and see if anything can be tightened up before completely changing course.
  • SkinnyBitchMode19
    SkinnyBitchMode19 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm starting to wonder if I'm not eating enough (I currently eat between 1200-1300 a day). I lost 40lbs in my later 20's (gained 30 of it back) and it's just not coming off as easily this time around. I refuse to give up though! Thanks again everyone :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 and it seems easy to me
  • kcm105
    kcm105 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'll back you up. I definitely noticed it being quite a bit harder to lose once I was in my 30s. I'm basically a professional (yo-yo) dieter, always doing basic calorie counting. In my 20s I found it much easier to lose without having to make exercise a focus as well, but now, for me, they really go hand in hand.

I want to add though - I had my first (and only) child at 30, and that could definitely have something to do with it. I also carry more weight now than when I was in my 20s, it's like after a baby my "set point" was about 20 pounds higher. Lastly, I think it was also just generally easier to eat less for periods of time in my 20s. I'm older and busier and it's harder to focus so much. I think it's a combination of age, having a baby, and a change in attitude in general. Not just one thing.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Well, it wasn't until I was 34 that I got educated and resigned myself to the fact that there are no shortcuts. I started counting calories and found my deficit. Lo and behold it worked. I lost more weight counting calories while feeling like I wasn't starving at 34-35 than I ever did in my 20s when I was starving myself and running myself into the pavement.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I am finding out that the saying of "it gets harder to lose weight in your 30s" is very much true for me. I am 34 and I'm learning that I need to really switch up my habits in order to see results. I exercise about 3 days a week (OrangeTheory) but I wanted to get some thoughts and/or ideas from people who saw this problem and got through it.

Thanks!!

Why are you taking FOUR rest days per week? How active are you outside of gym workouts? How many steps do you get per day?

It kind of sounds like you might not be getting enough exercise even for basic health, much less weight loss.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    39 here and once I dedicated myself to the MFP program I lost weight just as easy as in my 20's. This itme however I'm still following the program and maintaining!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Thanks!!

Why are you taking FOUR rest days per week? How active are you outside of gym workouts? How many steps do you get per day?

It kind of sounds like you might not be getting enough exercise even for basic health, much less weight loss.

Four rest days is not unheard of. I lost the bulk of my weight lifting only 3 days a week, giving me FOUR rest days.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I'm 31. In my 20s I could lose weight just by reducing the amount of dessert or sodas I drank in a week and moving a little more. Now I have to really pay attention to eating habits and be more deliberate. That said, the calories in/calories out approach on this site is working well for me. I have just learned not to cut out any foods I enjoy and give in to cravings, just in smaller amounts that work in allotted calories for the day.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Thanks!!

It hit me around 35. NOT because I was in my 30s but because my lifestyle changed. I was moving a LOT less and eating the same... Then eventually more. Then I gained more.

When I joined MFP then got a fitbit I got to see the direct correlation of CICO and instead of guessing like I had been before... I can have a more measured approach to keeping my weight in check.

At 38... I weigh less than I did at 28. And the best part... It isn't hard!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah I suppose that I stopped maintaining my 200 pounds when I got over 30... but losing really wasn't hard at all. I can't really compare to how it was to lose before though, as I never really tried (I lost some weight at 20 but with a very restrictive diet, and gained it back plus more once I started eating regular food again).
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on loosing better in my 20's because i spent my 20's having kids and gaining 100+lbs. However since getting my fitbit and almost doubling my calories (for 6 months or so, i was eating 1300/daily for 1lb/month loss) I've started loosing 2-3lbs/week. I'm 33yrs old. Shrugs* I'm not sure if this would apply to you and your situation tho. Good luck to you!
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, i'm a runner.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm about to be 31 and am in my best shape compared to any time in the past 10 years. Can't say my metabolism was better or worse in my 20's (although my knowledge & habit weren't as good as now), but I don't feel entering 30's an obstacle or something that slows me down.

That quote is certainly not true... at least from my experience, I've only heard it as a complaint from someone who was actually fortunate enough not to put much effort (changing habit) to get to their expected weight when they're younger but have not developed the "right habit" on time before turing 30.