Ideal Protein - Support, Advice, and Motivation!

2»

Replies

• KittyHeaven74
    KittyHeaven74 Posts: 68 Member
    edited January 2016
    The only cost is the food. There might be a sign-up fee - I can't remember - but it's mostly the food and the supplements (I didn't buy all their supplements and you can do it with other brand supplements instead, as long as you make sure you're getting the same nutritional values). If you like a lot of variety, the upfront cost is way higher than if you just eat the same thing every day for a week, since you'd be buying more food than you would actually eat in a single week (but that's only when you buy initially or replenish). For me, the pricing was around $30 Canadian or a little less per box per week, and you need three boxes per week. Then you'd also have to buy your natural protein and veggies for the week (if you're a meat eater, this will definitely be a higher cost than being a vegetarian, although tofu can be expensive!).
  • KittyHeaven74
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Don't these high protein diets damage your kidneys?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/271663.php
    High-protein diets, such as the Dukan diet, are currently a popular alternative to the traditional calorie-counting forms of dieting. But scientists at the University of Granada in Spain have shown through tests in rats that a high-protein diet increases the risk of kidney stones and other renal diseases.

I'd be careful about committing to a life of renal failure. That's not a fair trade-off for losing weight. This is why counting calories is a better approach.

Ideal Protein is NOT a high protein diet. It provides your body with enough protein to function properly but does not flood your body with protein or fat. It keeps you in a calorie deficit that will force your body into ketosis (not to be confused with ketoacidosis) so your body turns to its own fat stores for fuel instead of depleting your sugar tank. When you move off phase 1 (how long you're on phase 1 depends on how quickly your body sheds its fat stores) there is a transitional period where you slowly start re-introducing the carbs and sugars and you learn about how to eat in maintenance. It is designed to not send your body into shock when you go into maintenance, and they teach you how to eat so you don't gain weight back - though you're likely to gain 1-5 lbs back when you refill your sugar tank - this is essentially water weight and is to be expected (and not stressed over). Anyway, I did great on it and would have kept off the weight if I'd actually followed maintenance and paid attention to how I was eating. But I didn't.

Some people swear by a keto diet as a lifestyle choice, and keep their carbs relatively low on an ongoing basis. This is not required on IP maintenance; you learn about portion sizes and such, but they do not say you should stay in low carb, in fact, they encourage you to eat a healthy, well-balanced diet once on maintenance.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited January 2016
    The only cost is the food. There might be a sign-up fee - I can't remember - but it's mostly the food and the supplements (I didn't buy all their supplements and you can do it with other brand supplements instead, as long as you make sure you're getting the same nutritional values). If you like a lot of variety, the upfront cost is way higher than if you just eat the same thing every day for a week, since you'd be buying more food than you would actually eat in a single week (but that's only when you buy initially or replenish). For me, the pricing was around $30 Canadian or a little less per box per week, and you need three boxes per week. Then you'd also have to buy your natural protein and veggies for the week (if you're a meat eater, this will definitely be a higher cost than being a vegetarian, although tofu can be expensive!).

The person I knew was spent $300 for start up. Plus her own food she had to buy.
  • KittyHeaven74
    I don't think I had a startup fee, but it was expensive to get the foods I would need and all the supplements up front. It might be different depending on your coach, too. My coach offers free lifetime maintenance (she only charges if you want to buy more food), but I don't know if that's standard or just her approach. It can get quite costly, especially if you're a meat eater and have to buy groceries for a family, too. I'm a vegetarian, so I mostly was just buying my veggies and eggs aside from the IP food. But it is still costly, I think. Especially now when veggies and meat are so expensive (in Canada, anyway)!
  • radjenny1128
    radjenny1128 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm just planning on getting started, hoping to have success. I have had 4 kids in 4 years and really went wild eating during my pregnancies. I am hoping to take the 50lbs that I put on during all those pregnancies (i'm down almost 20 so far) and go beyond! Between babies I don't gain and I do slowly lose weight so I feel like my regular eating is dialled in, I just really want to do something effective and fast.
  • Richie630
    Richie630 Posts: 1 Member
    I am starting Ideal Protein program next Monday and I am looking for support, advice and of course motivation. I am hoping to find a few people who have been on IP for a while, people who just started or about to start so that we can bond!! hahaha

I am 35, mom of three who has yo-yo dieted for the past 10 years. I have a friend who is doing IP and his results are amazing! I saw a picture of him on FB and messaged him to find out his secret! He, of course, told me about IP. I jumped on the bandwagon and have done tons of research and looked at all of the amazing before and after pictures and I am hooked!! I am beyond excited to start this and I just hope and pray this gets me out of my weight loss plateau!!

Tell me about you and why you are on this journey.

Please just love and positive vibes here.

I started it on October 15, 2015. As of today I have lost 47lbs and 8" in my waist. I tend to be very thrifty but I think it is well worth the money. And as far as energy levels go, I am a Firefighter and I have not had any problems yet. I like using MFP to log my meals and weight it helps a lot because I am always on the go.
    Good luck! You will not be disappointed.
  • SarahHebert1
    SarahHebert1 Posts: 98 Member
    I am starting Ideal Protein program next Monday and I am looking for support, advice and of course motivation. I am hoping to find a few people who have been on IP for a while, people who just started or about to start so that we can bond!! hahaha

I am 35, mom of three who has yo-yo dieted for the past 10 years. I have a friend who is doing IP and his results are amazing! I saw a picture of him on FB and messaged him to find out his secret! He, of course, told me about IP. I jumped on the bandwagon and have done tons of research and looked at all of the amazing before and after pictures and I am hooked!! I am beyond excited to start this and I just hope and pray this gets me out of my weight loss plateau!!

Tell me about you and why you are on this journey.

Please just love and positive vibes here.

I'm 28, female, 5'5". In 3 months with IP I was able to lose 40 lbs before my wedding. Took a few months off - ate EVERYTHING I wanted, with no plan, and gained about 10 back. I've now been back on since January 4 and have lost what I put on and more.

I truly believe that you have to make a commitment to changing your eating habits to be successful long-term, as with any diet. IP gets the weight off fast and safely, and for people who don't like exercise it is a life-saver. Once I get to my goal weight I will figure out what works to maintain it with the help of my coach and work on being active then. My goal is to lose 116 lbs total.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 877 Member
    I tried it but couldn't stick with the plan. My daughter did it with more success, but she was more willing to starve herself. I just can't do that.
  • KarenGog
    KarenGog Posts: 7 Member
    I have been on the program for three weeks now and I love it. I'm not hungry and feel like this is it for me. I have no cravings because of the IP treats that are permitted. I have tried EVERYTHING to lose weight and I am confident in this being the one for me. I am down 17 lbs so far and it's been about 23 days. I'm not starving; and I'm definitely eating healthier. I have 100 lbs to lose.
  • lvseoul
    lvseoul Posts: 3 Member
    I've been on the program for just under 2 months and i've lost almost 30lbs! I feel amazing, so motivated to stay on track until i reach my goals.
  • marise51
    marise51 Posts: 65 Member
    So nice to read about everyone's story. Let's keep things positive and supportive for the weight loss challenge we face on a daily basis.
  • Brialychr3
    Brialychr3 Posts: 23 Member
    Just curious - is anyone out there who has done IP and needed to lose about 25 lbs. how long did it take and were you able to maintain. I am on week 2 and feeling great. First weigh in is tomorrow and I think I have done very well this week. I am a sugar addict but finding it easier (than other plans) to say no to temptations.