insanity /scale why????

Options
I started insanity on Monday and the scale seems to be going up this is one of the hardest workouts I've ever attempted and I love it but this morning I was discouraged when I saw the scale up at a highest that its been in a while I've been doing everything right and eating healthy I just don't understand I need some reassurance maybe its water or muscle weight! I want to starve now :( but that's just my head talking! Thanks guys :)

Replies

• snflwr04
    snflwr04 Posts: 46
    Options
    You will build muscle with Insanity - therefore gain weight but lose fat
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    But that's not the reason why the scale went up.

SkinnyGal, don't be discouraged. You're putting your body through a very strenuous workout. Your muscles will retain water because of this, thus resulting in a rise in the scale. My advice would be to not pay attention to the scale but to how your clothes fit. Insanity is not the type of workout where you want to weigh yourself daily or you'll drive yourself crazy. It's a tough program but the results at the end of the 63 days is well worth it. :smile:

Good luck!
  • Grimlock1030
    Options
    I'm doing insanity, also. The best advice I can give you is to stick with it. You will see the results, the weight will come off, and you will build muscle.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Weight is just a number on the scale.

It's about being fit for anything :smile:
  • acchickpea
    acchickpea Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm doing insanity (mixed with the elliptical), eating healthy and I have to tell you that I am really seeing the results... Like the many others say... Stick with it..... Insanity really makes you sweat and so you need to keep yourself hydrated with water.... I'm guiilty for stepping on the scale everyday too but that's just me... I like to gauge how my weight flexs throughout the week. Good Luck... and don't give up yet... give it a few weeks!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    But that's not the reason why the scale went up.

SkinnyGal, don't be discouraged. You're putting your body through a very strenuous workout. Your muscles will retain water because of this, thus resulting in a rise in the scale. My advice would be to not pay attention to the scale but to how your clothes fit. Insanity is not the type of workout where you want to weigh yourself daily or you'll drive yourself crazy. It's a tough program but the results at the end of the 63 days is well worth it. :smile:

Good luck!

Ditto. You cannot build that much muscle that quickly so it has to be water retention. Make sure you're getting your minimum 8 cups per day, if not a bit more than that to help flush out the extra. And don't give up! I've never done insanity but any time I ramp up my strength training, I know the scale's not going to be friendly for the next few days - just part of the natural process of damage and healing that muscles go through.
  • Lisiebird
    Lisiebird Posts: 45
    Options
    I gave my all to Insanity. Great workout. Still gained weight and not all of it was muscle. I went up a size.
  • SkinnyGal08
    SkinnyGal08 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys definitely know its water cause I've been eating healthy and plus if you gain in a few days 95% of the time its water weight! I absolutely love insanity definitely looking to maintain im in maintenance right now just doing insanity to tone up! Thanks yall are great friends!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I completed Insanity 2lbs higher than when I started it - but... that said, I didn't have much/if any to lose - and I lost inches. My body fat dropped 2%, and as soon as I finished the program and resumed P90X and Running, those 2lbs dropped off. I'm definitely leaner and lost about 6" overall my body. I also got much better/stronger abs, P90X had not done that for me at all.