Do you drink water while you run?

Options
I usually do interval run/walk on the treadmill while I build up my endurance. I always find myself parched after the running so i usually take a drink. But this leads to me feeling like the water is just sloshing in my belly while I run. I'm not sure which is worse, the sloshing or the parched feeling.

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The sloshing sucks. As do the cramps that are likely to follow. If you properly hydrate before your runs you won't be hurting to water so much after. Aim to drink half your body weight in lbs. in oz. Of water per day, every day so you're adequately hydrated before your run.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    No. I drink the blood of those weaker than me.

(J/k... You might want to preload yourself with as much as needed before your run and a good long pee. Hydrate before not during.)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I don't carry water unless I'm out for more than 2 hours. As others have said, hydrate before not during.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Nope because of the sloshing.

I drink a tall glass of water about 30 mins before.
  • sech5
    sech5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I typically drink water when I run for more than 10 miles, the trick is to only take an ounce or so at a time so there is no sloshing! Of course, staying hydrated all the time is great but drinking while you walk/run isn't a terrible idea! :)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    No. I drink some water before and leave a bottle in the car for when I'm done.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Typically I don't carry water for runs of less than 90 minutes (unless it's really hot outside) If you're adequately hydrated before the run you shouldn't need water but if you're breathing through your mouth it can get reaaly dry making you think that you're thirsty.

A couple of possible solutions.....take tiny sips and swish the water around your mouth a bit before swallowing or chew gum.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Depends on how far I'm running and the temperature.
  • jnp537
    jnp537 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm doing intervals right now, running and walking a little. If I feel like I need a drink I do it while I'm walking, but don't gulp the whole thing. That's what leads to the sloshing feeling. I take one or two small sips and that's it. Enough to wet my mouth and throat but not too much to where it's uncomfortable to start running again.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet, I'm wondering at what point I'll need to start, my longest runs at the moment are 20km, which is about 1 hour 40, I assume once I start running for 2 hours or more I'll need to figure out mid run hydration :( I hate that sloshy feeling....
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Depends on distance and temperature. Outside I would typically plant some water along the route (hide a bottle in the woods for example) if I run more than 25 km as I hate running while carrying anything. The times I am forced to run inside on a treadmill I always sip water if it's more than a couple of km, since it's usually stupid hot and I don't have to carry it.
  • brrrycicle
    brrrycicle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the odd man out. I always drink water when I run, even short distances, but I also live in a desert, so sometimes it's needed. I just carry a small 12oz bottle with me and sip on it here and there. I usually have half a bottle left after running for 30 minutes. I find that if I gulp it or drink too much I get that gross sloshy feeling.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I try to hydrate really, really well half an hour to an hour beforehand. I don't run for more than 60 minutes, though, and typically at night when it's cooler.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I drink half to 1 litre before I run. I do not carry a bottke for my rub. I only run 3-4 miles
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'll carry water for more than 10 miles, although that's taken some adaptation. When I was startin I could easily drink 500ml in half an hour.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I've carried water on a few runs but in general I feel better drinking before and after -- even running a half marathon I only took 2 cups of water and one energy gel during the entire race.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Every person is different, so find out what is good for you. Make sure you hydrate enough normally during the day and then go for a run. Extend your running times without water until you find out your own limits.

I can go up to around 2 maybe 2 1/2 hours without needing a drink depending on the weather but I know that if I hadn't had any fluids in that time I would be hitting the wall by 3 hours.

If you do take water, little and often is the best plan. That way you keep your hydration up but don't get to that point where it is sloshing around.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Yes, my throat gets dry. I sip more than "drink".
  • chaberlau
    chaberlau Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always have gum in my mouth while running it keeps it from getting dry, if I do take water its very small sips at a time
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I don't for runs of less than 5 miles. Anything over 5 miles and i drink/eat midrun. 5 miles for me is about an hour, since im sloooow, lol!

i carry a small 12oz water bottle, and drink about 16oz 30-45 minutes before leaving then drink 16oz immediately after.