Salad bar

Options
I usually eat lunch at my schools dining hall and they don't provide nutrition information on the salad bar. I usually get a plate filled with a bit of spinach, bell peppers, tofu (not grilled or fried or anything), red onion, and celery bits. I don't use any dressing. I usually log it at 300 calories because I don't really know how else to log it. What would you do?

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Way off. I just checked my normal salad bowl - spinach, iceberg lettuce, red peppers, raw onions, 4 cherry tomatoes and cucumber. its a medium sized bowl. No dressing - and that's 52 calories (I weight each ingredient individually everyday so its sometimes a fraction more or less - but its accurate)

Then I add my protein - with is usually about 100 calories - 150 calories. My lunch is usually between 150-200 cals. I'd log a lot less and have an extra snack.
  • prncsstff
    prncsstff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Way off. I just checked my normal salad bowl - spinach, iceberg lettuce, red peppers, raw onions, 4 cherry tomatoes and cucumber. its a medium sized bowl. No dressing - and that's 52 calories (I weight each ingredient individually everyday so its sometimes a fraction more or less - but its accurate)

Then I add my protein - with is usually about 100 calories - 150 calories. My lunch is usually between 150-200 cals. I'd log a lot less and have an extra snack.

Oh wow. Thanks for your answer!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Without the quantities, it's hard to say. I would use the database to get the calorie counts for each item. Vegetables are pretty low calorie, the wild card is the tofu -- without knowing how much you're eating, nobody can really tell you how many calories are on that plate.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Lettuce and peppers are so low in calories I often don't bother counting them. Not worth typing them in.
  • jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    tiffanyyro wrote: »
    I usually eat lunch at my schools dining hall and they don't provide nutrition information on the salad bar. I usually get a plate filled with a bit of spinach, bell peppers, tofu (not grilled or fried or anything), red onion, and celery bits. I don't use any dressing. I usually log it at 300 calories because I don't really know how else to log it. What would you do?

Log in the base ingredients of your salad and save it as a Meal or Recipe. That way you can quickly add it when you need to.