Third weigh-in after working so hard, so disappointed.

Options
So this morning was my third weigh in, I didn't even lose anything, I have been working so hard, and I know days like this will happen again, but for some reason when I get on that scale, and I see that same number, I get so disappointed and ask myself why I'm even doing all of this if it's not even paying off /: does anyone else ever feel like this

Replies

• JadeRoatch
    JadeRoatch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i know what its like but that will happen you might be hitting a platue thing if you have been working at it for a while and that just means you gotta push it a little more
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ok lets stop and step away from the scale and look at the muscle to fat content of your body. Are your clothes fitting better. Do you feel more energy, sleeping better. When my numbers dont move I look at the others so I don't get discourage. :)
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    We all disappointments from time to time; it happens. Just keep grinding and it will pay off!!

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You don't gain a pound right away after eating a snicker bar either. Trust the math here, if you are truthfully logging everything you eat and you have input the data correctly at set up you must lose weight. Give it time and don't be afraid to "tweak" things. Add some exercise, lower carbs a bit whatever but don't go all over the place. I have fun picking one small thing and watching over the course of weeks to see what happens. Its a long journey but it works, its not a diet, its a lifestyle change.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    A: How often are you weighing in? Weighing in more than once a week or so isn't very productive. Try to weigh once a week, or even less. Also take your measurements. Scales are like the Eye Of Sauron; they see everything including water weight, etc. The measuring tape only sees what's on the surface.
    B: Are you using weight training as part of your exercise plan? Muscle weighs more than fat. If your exercise plan is focusing on heavy lifting, you might throw in a little cardio or try some low-weight/high reps for a couple of weeks.
    C: Are you getting enough nutrition in your diet? Take a look at your macros and make sure that you're not just meeting calories, but getting the right balance of proteins and carbs for your body type and fitness plan.

Plateaus happen! Keep working at it and you'll see results! You can do this. Don't let that scale tell you how to live!
  • champion818
    champion818 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't worry this is my current situation my weight has been 230.6 then 230.4 then 230.2 then 230.8 then 230.2 again for 5 days straight and I haven't missed a workout it's driving me insane but you have to keep going or else you will give up
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Don't worry this is my current situation my weight has been 230.6 then 230.4 then 230.2 then 230.8 then 230.2 again for 5 days straight and I haven't missed a workout it's driving me insane but you have to keep going or else you will give up

In my book 230.2 ( last measurement on Day 5) is lower than 230.6 (first measurement on Day 1).
    Keep track of your body weight scale measurements on a Graphic app. Then, you can see the trend and adjust accordingly.
    Body weight measurement are never a straight line. Use the graph.
    You have to manage your expectations, you did not acquire the extra body weight in a few weeks/months. Please do not expect to decrease the extra body weight in a few days/weeks.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • shrinkingtina
    shrinkingtina Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I hate these days too. It plain-old sucks. That's why there are NSV so you can see and feel results other than just a scale number decreasing. Keep going at it and I am sure you will see that scale move soon. I worked my butt off the past week only to loose 0.2 of a pound. Hang in there, Doll.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you're weighing every day, you might try an app like Libra that will track your weight over time and show you whether it's trending up or down. Some weeks you won't lose much, and it sucks, but if the trend line goes down over time you'll know you're on the right track. If it doesn't, you'll know to do some course correction.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Think of it in a different way before you were working out and counting calories that number would have been going up each weigh in. Therefore anything is an improvement on continually gaining, unless you are in a bulk.
  • redbod
    redbod Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dont give up! Im the same but have an end goal in mind and that keeps me going! I have also started swimming and 1/2hr of that shifts more weight than a 3hr bike ride!
  • bracey100
    bracey100 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Its disappointing I been exercising every other day since 4th jan an ive gained 2 pounds I am gutted just gunna have to more exercise an see what happens an try to eat well an stop secret eating
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    How long have you been doing this for? As another poster said, you need to have realistic expectations. This is not a quick process and if you go in with a mind-set that you'll be at your goal weight in a matter or weeks or, often, even months, you're setting yourself up for failure, psychologically speaking.

3 weigh-ins is not long enough to really determine a pattern; there are many factors affecting weight loss, including water retention from sodium (did you eat a lot of really salty or processed foods the day before?), water retention from hormones (I always retain water around my period), water retention from exercise (if you just started a new routine or increased your exercise level your muscles are going to retain water while they repair themselves - I am always up 3-4lb the day after I lift, and it always goes back down). However, you are almost certainly not gaining muscle - it takes a progressive overload weight lifting program to gain muscle mass and generally can't be done in a deficit (tho this is a pretty complicated topic and one that you should do some independent research into if you are interested). If you are finding that you are having that unhealthy of a relationship with the scale, maybe you need to step away from it for a while and focus instead on the process - exercise, eat at a deficit, drink enough water, get enough rest, and be patient.

But another question is how much of a deficit are you really in? Are you logging your food accurately using a scale or are you eye-balling portions or using a measuring cup, either of which can lead to significantly underestimating how much you are eating. Are you exercising? How are you calculating your calorie burn? MFP often overestimates burns.

Many people, when they get started, underestimate how much they eat and overestimate how much they burn, but really unless you post more details it's hard for people to help you figure out what's going on.