Anyone else suffer with plantar fasciitis?

Options
I used to be very active however have developed ongoing issues with both feet and have been told it's plantar fasciitis.
It's never ending painive gained 2st since it started and I just want to shift this weight.
I wanted to know if there's any excerises people would recommend that doesn't put pressure on the feet, apart from swimming because I can't swim

Replies

• datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    There is a brace you can wear at night that is supposed to help allot. I used to have it really bad but I've found that a good gel insole saves me the pain for the most part. I personally use the dr.scholls ones that you get on the machine and it reads your feet
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I found that cycling is a great sport. Just make sure that you get the right shoes; they have a stiff bottom. You can also do different kinds of strength training, and hey - if you can't swim, now's the time to learn!

Inserts can help greatly; I wear mine 2-3 times a week now, 3 years after the initial injury that caused the issue. I found that it was worth the expense to go in and get a set made for my feet by a podiatrist.

It took me a year of stretching and healing before the pain went away and I could start to walk/run again for exercise. Prior to that I would wake up in pain that took about 5 minutes of stretching to make it possible to walk around without limping. It IS possible to heal from it, but you have to be willing to give yourself the time it takes.

Good luck!
  • meggy_182
    meggy_182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!
    I've been suffering for over a year and it's pretty damn miserable. I'm a shop manager so my feet don't get a moments rest. I've tried all sorts of insoles but will look in the Dr scholls ones.
    I also have flat feet which I have orthotics for but the stiffness of them.makes the plantar pain unbearable

Haha I've tired to swim before It appears I have an unhealthy fear of deep water :neutral: I'll over come that one day....

I do however love cycling I've found the stretch can be quite painful so maybe I am wearing the wrong shoes? I've only ever used runners on the bike didn't realise you can get special shoes
  • darrinotoole
    darrinotoole Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I get it bad. You need to stretch the tendons out.

YouTube has some good exercises to combat it. Also change your shoes and make sure they are tight.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    A good supportive shoe or insert should help. It took me a while to get used to mine-like you, it hurt at first. It took me over a year to be pain free. I have done it all: stretching, swimming, exercises, boot at night, cortisone shots, you name it. And all of that I continue (except the shots).

Can you do a deep water cardio class (you'd wear a flotation belt, so you won't sink!). Mine is really challenging, but totally non-impact. I have had PF twice, and the best thing for it is total rest (and also almost impossible), so I would imagine that being on your feet all day is just brutal. Do your best to be off your feet when you can. Rolling your arch over a frozen water bottle during rest times should help.

PF is a real bugger. It doesn't "go away." You have to be really patient and know that improvements can be slow... glacially slow, but if you just keep at it, it will improve. Continuing with an exercise program with impact is only going to halt your progress or make the whole thing worse.

Good luck!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    In stability running shoes with orthotics I was able to keep walking & heal from a case in one foot.
    I'm a sub teacher so I'm on my feet anyway. I gave up fashion sneakers, flats, and boots for one entire semester (about five months). It's an old injury for me that comes & goes anyway. I wore only running shoes that entire time. I used ice & deep stretches daily. I was never barefoot; upon waking I got immediately into a supportive slipper.
    Several times I had to run after an autistic or emotionally disturbed pupil who was trying to leave campus & running always inflamed the injury for a few days. But walking was fine. I averaged 100k steps a week.
    Now I am well again I do two good sessions of barefoot yoga a week. 'Yoga feet' will strengthen your arches but you need to be injury free to start.
    Good luck to you. It's a nagging pain. I hope you feel better soon. xo
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Keens! Seriously, my Keens saved my feet after another friend with Plantars recommended them. I started with a pair of the walking sandals, Venice H2s, then later got a pair of the hiking boots, and now use a pair of their running shoes for walking.
    The biggest thing to keep in mind with Plantars Fascitis is to keep your feet padded and protected.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    proper arch support inserts helped me immensely. i also do plantar stretches daily. supportive shoes also help...i wear my Keens whenever I can. i have also worn that night sock overnight a couple of times and gotten a shot once.

i primarily cycle as it's much easier on my feet.
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Use a mid-height heel to support the muscles. A cowboy boot does wonders. And insoles. Flat shoes do not offer the support needed.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have a few problems with my feet, including plantar fasciitis, all traced to not enough arch support. I wear orthotic arch supports from my podiatrist, and cushion my feet. I now bike instead of jog, which has helped a lot. I have very still soled running shoes that have helped, and wear Fleetfeet inserts when exercising.
  • caaaath
    caaaath Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yep, I suffered with it really badly. I now buy good quality shoes with good arch support and it's generally all good now!
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This might sound crazy, but after a few bad bouts of plantar fasciitis I started googling it. Inserts didn't help, stretching didn't help, nothing helped. I was also getting shin splints and some knee pain.

I found a website called SocDoc and he had suggestions (mostly trigger point/massaging, avoiding stretching it, etc). I followed his suggestions and haven't had any problems for 6 months! If I *think* I feel any pain starting (including shin splints) I try his trigger point suggestions and I've not had any lower leg problems since.

Not sure if it's coincidence, if it would have worked itself out anyway, if it's the placebo effect, or what. But it worked for me, so I thought I'd pass it on just in case.
  • meggy_182
    meggy_182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh I didnt realise I had replies! Thanks for the advise everyone. I've been increasing my cycling which the physio said would help to strength and stretched the muscles in my shins (will wait at see on thst one)
    Wore heels the other day for an evening out and it felt so much better! Unfortunately I can't wear heels for my job but someone's suggested a heel.lift and so far it seems to be ok. It hurts still but less throbbing more sore feeling