Plateau

Options
I started logging faithfully on March 23rd, 2011. My start weight was 195lbs. Iam now at 180ish! Okay yeah me I've lost 15lbs. But Iam at this plateau. Iam exercising 3-4 times a week and Im at 1200 calories a day. When I complete my days it tells me in 5 weeks I will weigh 173lbs. Sometimes I find myself only eating 1000 calories. Im not trying to do that! Could this be why Im NOT losing anymore? Why am I not there yet? Im getting discouraged, How can I keep going? I know I need to lose more.

Replies

• Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.. after losing 10lbs intially, i hit a plateau for a solid week and a half... i've lost almost 4 more pounds since and ionce again have hit another pateau. I exercise 5-6 times a week doing different things to burn about 400 calories a day. I eay about 1200 a day plus 200 back of my exercise calories, drink lots of water... but the scale doesnt want to move. VERY frustrated!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi there. It could be you are not eating enough. When you exercise, you need to make sure you are fueling your body and do not go under 1200 net calories. On days you exercise you need to eat some of those calories back since mfp already has created a defecit for you. I increased my calories about a month ago from 1200 to 1380 and that made a huge difference for me. Just like in the beginning when you seen good weight loss, your body gets stuck consuming the same amount of calories or doing the same exercise routines. Change things up, do different types of exercises, add some strength training if you aren't doing that already and try eating 100-200 calories more a day. This will get your metabolism going again. Hope this helps:) Drink lots of water too! You CAN get past this plateau:):) Congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • Clairezibel
    Options
    I agree with kylakesgal - I think one of the most effective approaches is "confusing" your metabolism into burning fat because it thinks it needs to. I almost always have a result if I alternate exercise patterns, e.g. I'll do stationary bike one day, then badminton the next, then back to bike, then maybe some kinect and so on. Alternate what you eat as well - in terms of protein and carbs - do one day with more carbs and one with more protein. You can break this plateau, you just got to remember that it takes time!