Body fat loss

Options
To drop body fat, up the cardio and do moderate to light lifting? Calorie intake? Opinions please

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    All that is required to lose bodyfat is to be in a caloric deficit. This can be achieved by eating less or exercising more
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Drop body fat whilst keeping weight the same?
    Drop body fat whilst losing weight?

Answers will be different re calories but both will have the following advice
    • Set protein minimum to 0.64-0.8g per lb of bodyweight and fat minimum at 0.35g per lb bodyweight
    • Never moderate to light lifting - always heavy and heavier
    • Get a widespread of colourful vegetables, dairy, minerals
    • Carbs to choice once protein and fat macros are hit
    • Cardio is for cardiovascular health and calorie burn, minimum is 2 x 20-30 minute sessions a week

Assuming changing body composition eg drop bf whilst weight stays the same - eat at maintenance level

Assuming losing weight - then set to lose 1% bodyweight per week, allow 500 calories per day cut per 1lb bodyweight - keep macros as above
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the contrary. Drop the cals and do heavy lifting. That's how you keep the muscle.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns more calories, but strength training will help you to retain lean mass while eating at a deficit. It's good to do a little of both, but it's not necessary as long as you're eating less calories than you're using.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Wrong! Decrease cardio, and pump iron - heavy. :)
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    All that is required to lose bodyfat is to be in a caloric deficit. This can be achieved by eating less or exercising more

@trigden1991 is 100% wrong and I do not suggest following this advice. If weight loss was that simple, everyone would be in shape. You will lose "weight" in a calorie deficit but not necessarily "fat". In order to maximize fat loss and preserve muscle you have to lift heavy weights, do cardio and eat a balanced diet that's high in protein. Any advice other than that is nonsense. If you don't believe me, visit a site like bodybuilding.com that is devoted to sculpting both male and female bodies. I know this is a calorie counting app but if you think that this is where the battle stops you are highly mistaking. Telling people that all they need is a calorie deficit to lose fat is like me saying all you need to be good at math is to subtract.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    @trigden1991 is 100% wrong and I do not suggest following this advice. If weight loss was that simple, everyone would be in shape. You will lose "weight" in a calorie deficit but not necessarily "fat". In order to maximize fat loss and preserve muscle you have to lift heavy weights, do cardio and eat a balanced diet that's high in protein. Any advice other than that is nonsense. If you don't believe me, visit a site like bodybuilding.com that is devoted to sculpting both male and female bodies. I know this is a calorie counting app but if you think that this is where the battle stops you are highly mistaking. Telling people that all they need is a calorie deficit to lose fat is like me saying all you need to be good at math is to subtract. [/quote]

Whether you will lose fat/muscle/water is determined on your macronutrient and micronutrients, agreed. However, you still need to be in a caloric deficit to lose fat. You do not need to lift heavy weights but doing so is one way of optimising muscle retention.
  • sarahspenceee
    sarahspenceee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    make sure you eat to lose fat. keep your protein high. invest in a bcaa if you're cutting calories