Too soon to run half marathon?

Options
Somebody_Loved
Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Question for the runners out there. I'm scheduled to run my 1st half marathon on March 5th. I've been using a training program and this past Saturday I got up to 10 miles for my long run. It was an exhausting run but I made it through.

My question is this: yesterday I was invited to run a very informal half marathon this coming Saturday. I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to do this leading up to the half I'm scheduled for in March? Is 13.1 too far since I've only gotten up to 10 miles? I guess I'm just looking for insight on if this would be a good idea, of if I should just stick with my training plan.

Thanks!

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Nope, not too soon. Actually I think it's a good idea for you to do it. It will give you a good idea of what to expect for the March 5th one, which will hopefully decrease some of the pre-race jitters.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Most beginner training plans only have you run 10 miles for your longest run.
    My thoughts - you can probably do it. It isn't going to be fun if you were exhausted but you can probably do it.
    And there is enough time for you to recover for your March half.
    It's really up to you. I think you *can*. It might not be the best choice but I don't think it is a huge cause for concern either.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    If you treat it as a training run (don't go all out) you should be fine and injury free for your race in March. Think of the psychological benefits-you'll already know you can do the distance!
  • Somebody_Loved
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That's a good point about the mental benefits of running it this weekend. And I definitely like the idea of decreasing my anxiety for the March race. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half with only ever making it up to 10 miles before. You should be fine. No one will care if you need to walk dUing this first half. If you feel like you need to walk, then walk. Have fun.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I agree, run it! I kind of hate that beginner programs will only pull you up to 10 miles. When I was training for mine (I didn't end up running it) I was planning to train up to 14 miles just to give myself the confidence on the number.
  • Somebody_Loved
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I agree, run it! I kind of hate that beginner programs will only pull you up to 10 miles. When I was training for mine (I didn't end up running it) I was planning to train up to 14 miles just to give myself the confidence on the number.

I'm the same way, I chose a plan that trains me up to 12 miles. I want to go into it knowing I can hit the number!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Marathons are bad in general. Less is better.
  • cot_ter
    cot_ter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    take the time you hit your ten miles and slow down by 30 seconds- 1 minute a mile and you will find that 13 miles isn't so bad.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. You are increasing your long run by almost a third. But it's not just about the distance races are hard on the body, your pace is usually faster than what you run while training. It's too close to your real race that you don't want to risk getting injured. I really think you should let this one pass by.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @Aed0416 - I hear what you're saying. I'm going to treat it as a training run and be sure to run a very comfortable pace. It's a really informal race - no bibs, no chips, and only 150 people, so I don't think I'll be tempted to run race pace. Thanks for the feedback!
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Until you get up to full marathon distance, it's not a problem at all to train at more than the race miles. You've done 10, it's only a 5k more! There's no question you can do it, just have a big bowl of pasta the night before and a bagel with peanut butter and a big glass of OJ that morning and you'll destroy those 13.1 miles!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    @Aed0416 - I hear what you're saying. I'm going to treat it as a training run and be sure to run a very comfortable pace. It's a really informal race - no bibs, no chips, and only 150 people, so I don't think I'll be tempted to run race pace. Thanks for the feedback!

Heh. I find that I am Even More Competitive at the smaller races - I've got a better chance to place my age group.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing. Try not to hurt yourself.
  • Jenna8915
    Jenna8915 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am in a very similar situation to you... I ran my first 10 miler yesterday, and found it pretty tough... i would only advise that for me, I don't think I would be capable of another 5k on top of that run, not within such a short time frame... give me a month, and then I'll smash that half-marathon! It is also increasing your total distance by 33.3%, so you massively increase your risk of injury! Be careful....
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, you run. Then you finish. Then you work on your score.

Good for you, for going big !!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Aed0416 wrote: »
    Don't do it. You are increasing your long run by almost a third. But it's not just about the distance races are hard on the body, your pace is usually faster than what you run while training. It's too close to your real race that you don't want to risk getting injured. I really think you should let this one pass by.

The 10% "rule" applies to total volume not just a single run, by taking a few days to recover and keeping the pace slow the OP should be ok.

OP....if you decide to do it watch your pace and have fun, it will be good mental prep for the race in March.
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    How many miles a week have you been running and for how long? If you can run 10 miles, you can likely finish a half marathon, but it might be slow and potentially painful depending on what kind of shape you are in and how old you are. So it just depends on what you are in it for. I personally hate racing unless I am actually well trained for the event, but if you just want to finish and have fun, go for it.

Are you following a basic Hal Higdon type of plan right now?
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Aed0416 wrote: »

The 10% "rule" applies to total volume not just a single run, by taking a few days to recover and keeping the pace slow the OP should be ok.

OP....if you decide to do it watch your pace and have fun, it will be good mental prep for the race in March.

Also that 10% rule applies less so when the person has already been running a bunch. Sure you don't want to jump from 10 to 20 miles, but just going to 13? That's fine.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    OP, care to check back after the weekend and let us know how it goes?

• Somebody_Loved
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much for all the feedback!

@MostlyWater - That's my plan - go at a comfortable pace, and finish regardless if it means walking or running through the finish line. I'll focus on my pace more for the 1/2 in March. Thank you!

@dreilingda - I've been running for 10 months and am currently running between 18-24 miles a week. I started out doing c25k, then b210k and am now following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan. My long run this Saturday was supposed to be 11 miles (before I decided to do the half).

@SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage - I absolutely will!