Vitamins supplements--yes or no?

Options
HLMcWilkie
HLMcWilkie Posts: 11 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I've been at it a few weeks now and I'm noticing I don't often hit all of my nutrient goals daily. I'm probably most concerned with iron and calcium...should I take multi or try increase through diet?

All thoughts welcome:) Thanks!

Replies

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Hit your nutrients by cutting down on sugar and refined grain to make room for whole foods. I asked my doctor. She said I don't need a vitamin if I get plenty of vegetables, fruit, lean dairy, whole grains, seeds, nuts, beans, and fish.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with multivitamins. Iron and calcium are both very important, especially in women.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin gummy every morning. But mostly because it seems like such a treat now that I don't eat hardly any candy anymore!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have a Registered Dietician that I consult with and she recommends multi vitamin mineral with all the ranges within USDA recommended daily allowances because many vitamins and minerals can be toxic if taken in mega amounts especially potassium which can cause heart rhythms and even a heart attack if you take too much. Also don't buy vitamin minerals that contain iron. Iron taken combined with other vitamins and minerals is not absorbed, with the exception of vitamin C which actually speeds up absorption of iron if taken together. Cooking spinach also releases more of the iron that is in spinach and avoid vitamins and mineral supplements with artificial colors and additives as they interfere with absorption. Nature Valley supplements can be purchased at Walmart and look for the USP on the label. USP guarantees purity.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I take vitamins because even with the healthiest diet you can not possibly get all the recommended allowance of what vitamins your body needs through food alone. I would have a hard time getting my 7,000 IU's of vitamin D through food, not sure how much I'd have to eat to get my allowance of COQ10, or what plant my DHEA comes from. If you do invest in vitamins make sure you know whether or not they are fat soluble. If they are (Omega 3 would be one) then you need to take them with food otherwise the body won't absorb it.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    When going on low calories diets many people don't get enough nutrition. Not a bad "insurance". Little cost. I certainly cannot eat the recommended fruits and veggies daily.
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes! I top up my vit B C And D daily to boost/ support my immune system :)
  • Soccermama40
    Soccermama40 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I take a liquid multi vitamin. It's absorbed by the body faster. The one I take is daily complete by pure trim. You can find out more about it at stroup.puretrim.com I also use their protein shakes, boost tea, and experience.
  • Tnangaley
    Tnangaley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    GNC WOMENS ACTIVE DAILY VITAMIN, & EAT CLEAN.....NO PROCESSED, PACKAGED, FAST FOODS.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    About 2 years ago my MD did a blood test and found that I was deficient in many vitamins (B6, B12, A, D), so I take those every day. My subsequent blood tests have been fantastic!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    haviegirl wrote: »
    I take a multivitamin gummy every morning. But mostly because it seems like such a treat now that I don't eat hardly any candy anymore!

^^LOL, me too.

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i have to take vitamins because i dont absorb nutrients well (crohns disease) i take plant based vitamins.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    HLMcWilkie wrote: »
    I've been at it a few weeks now and I'm noticing I don't often hit all of my nutrient goals daily. I'm probably most concerned with iron and calcium...should I take multi or try increase through diet?

All thoughts welcome:) Thanks!

I recommend getting bloodwork done so you have a baseline. I'm anemic and have to supplement iron aggressively to stay in Low Normal.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i take a womens daily multivitamin (gummy - the capsule multivitamins make me nauseus for some reason). then a supplement for hair and skin

• HLMcWilkie
    HLMcWilkie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate the suggestions and that you've shared what works for you. More than anything I just want to feel good and have enough energy.

I'm going to try a combination approach and start a multi and calcium and add more iron rich foods like spinach.

I have an appointment with the doc but it's a ways off and I'll definitely have blood work done then. In the meantime, I'll work it from every angle.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I take vitamins because even with the healthiest diet you can not possibly get all the recommended allowance of what vitamins your body needs through food alone. I would have a hard time getting my 7,000 IU's of vitamin D through food, not sure how much I'd have to eat to get my allowance of COQ10, or what plant my DHEA comes from. If you do invest in vitamins make sure you know whether or not they are fat soluble. If they are (Omega 3 would be one) then you need to take them with food otherwise the body won't absorb it.

Omega-3s aren't "fat soluble" - they ARE fat (polyunsaturated fatty acids). "Omega-3" is short for "Omega-3 fatty acids". The fat soluble vitamins are A, D, E, and K.