Hysterectomy weight gain

Options
I recently had a complete hysterectomy in sept ... I have gained 22lbs since along with other issues...just wondering if anyone has any tips post hysterectomy or similar issues?

Replies

• mizmonnie
    mizmonnie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Haha....not laughing at you, but I also gained after my hysto. Didn't understand it, but it happened. In down 10 of what I did gain. It's a work inprogress, but you can do it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    bambam1172 wrote: »
    I recently had a complete hysterectomy in sept ... I have gained 22lbs since along with other issues...just wondering if anyone has any tips post hysterectomy or similar issues?

My GYN has recommended a hysterectomy so I am curious about the other issues you are experiencing?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Were your ovaries also removed? Hormones play a role in weight control and ovaries produce hormones.
  • bambam1172
    bambam1172 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hot flashes/ dry skin/ fatigue / weight gain/ cold / bloating/night sweats/ constipation etc....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Hot flashes/ dry skin/ fatigue / weight gain/ cold / bloating/night sweats/ constipation etc....

Okay, sounds like ovaries are gone. You've basically been put into menopause. It's no fun. I am just coming out of natural menopause and the best advice I have is to make sure to get regular cardio exercise. Strength training is important too for preserving muscle as your body will tend to lose it now. But the cardio helped tremendously with the symptoms for me.
  • furball78
    furball78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have exact same problem and also been put on HRT which seemed to pile weight on me I struggle to loose it whatever I do and prior to hysterectomy I had never had weight issues at all
  • bambam1172
    Options
    Yes overies are gone...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Okay, sounds like ovaries are gone. You've basically been put into menopause. It's no fun. I am just coming out of natural menopause and the best advice I have is to make sure to get regular cardio exercise. Strength training is important too for preserving muscle as your body will tend to lose it now. But the cardio helped tremendously with the symptoms for me.

My Mom has low bone density and at age 78 has just started strength training. She wishes she had started decades ago. So now would be a good time for you to pick this up @bambam1172. In addition to the cardio.
  • lesaw01
    lesaw01 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I had a compete hysterectomy a few years ago. I have also noticed when I get more exercise or am more active my hot flashes are not as bad. But I still don't sleep very good at night because of the night sweats.
  • CaptainPepperJack
    CaptainPepperJack Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had one as well, and yes the weight is easier to put on/keep on. But keep trying! PS - for everyone with the night sweats and hot flashes - you can buy cinnamon capsules and take them to stop the sweats and maintain temp. :) It can lower blood sugar, not drastic, but even so check with your Dr if you have any sugar issues.
  • LizaMarie78
    LizaMarie78 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had one in November 2014 I still got my ovaries though so not hot flashes even though some nights was waking up all sweaty so who knows. I was out and about in 2 weeks but had issues which the doctor told me I could had. Constipation oh my god lets just say prune juice was my best friend for a while lol. I did gain weight but I didn't do much diet or exercise for a few months. Right now it's been over a year and I feel good I finally feel great!!

I hope you do too!! Good luck!
  • JoJean12
    JoJean12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had a total hysterectomy in 2003 at the age of 42 because of uterine fibroids. My GYN failed to tell me I would gain weight afterward. I ballooned an extra 26 pounds.
    A year or 2 later I was able to lose some weight through diet and exercise
  • bambam1172
    Options
    I started in jan 1st trying to focus harder on calorie intake/exercise.... I have lost 77lbs before so I know what usually works for me but this time it is so different.. I don't eat bread/ quit drinking soda 5 years ago /juice etc... Don't fry stuff at home anymore...no rice -pasta etc... No added salt.....no cereal and of course junk food.... I usually start my day off with a protein shake and I take my vitamins..... Occasion we go out to eat but I never over eat.... I even added exercise this time which I hate but willing to try to see if it helps but so far it hasn't .. If I do finally lose a lb or two then it comes back within a day or so... I really feel like a big part of it is hormonal ....
  • bambam1172
    Options
    Btw my hub has been eating the healthier food choices with me since jan 1st and he has been losing great although he isn't exercising .... Very puzzling for both of us....
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I was in the middle of my weight loss journey when I had mine done. I think that I have lost 30 more pounds since then. I lost about 5 pounds just from getting rid of organs and tumors.

How MUCH exercise are you getting?

Have you been evaluated by an endocrinologist?
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I had a partial one in Sept 2013, uterus and tubes remove. I still have my ovaries and cervix. I spoke with my doctor about that very thing and said, hysterectomies and weight gain do not go hand in hand. Still keep and eye or portions and exercise. He is correct and I have been maintaining my weight +\- 8-10lbs since then. I had it done at 42.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I started in jan 1st trying to focus harder on calorie intake/exercise.... I have lost 77lbs before so I know what usually works for me but this time it is so different.. I don't eat bread/ quit drinking soda 5 years ago /juice etc... Don't fry stuff at home anymore...no rice -pasta etc... No added salt.....no cereal and of course junk food.... I usually start my day off with a protein shake and I take my vitamins..... Occasion we go out to eat but I never over eat.... I even added exercise this time which I hate but willing to try to see if it helps but so far it hasn't .. If I do finally lose a lb or two then it comes back within a day or so... I really feel like a big part of it is hormonal ....

Then talk to your doctor about adjusting your hormone therapy. If you are having all the menopausal symptoms you listed above, you should be talking to him/her about this anyway.
  • bambam1172
    Options
    After goi to my doc she wants me to see an endo so I have an appointment in feb with her :)
  • spiritlevel9
    spiritlevel9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy about 10 years ago with ovaries left. I gained about 14lbs which was mostly due to hardly being able to walk anywhere for about 12 weeks. It was the fourth time through the same scar so everything was tight and painful. I managed to shift it fairly easily with diet and exercise when I was able. I am currently thinking that I may be in the perimenopausal stage and last year gained another 14lbs. Again I managed to shift it be progress was much slower than it has been in the past.

Having lost your ovaries, your body must be hormonally all over the place. It sounds like a trip to the Endo is a good move. It could be a thyroid issue.
  • WMLCS
    WMLCS Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    After goi to my doc she wants me to see an endo so I have an appointment in feb with her :)

Curious, I feel like I am in the same boat! I had mine 2 years ago as of this coming March. Same in the 22 pounds of weight gain. What were your results from seeing the Endo??? That is the next step I think for me too......