Male Looking for Motivating Friends

Options
Howdy. Im a married, 43 year old male - former athlete, work outside 24/7. Eating too much fast food and a metabolism that has just turned its back on me has caused me to have steady gains in weight to the point I cant fake it no more.

In the last 10 years I have done a bounce in weight that started as needing 10lbs lost... to 40lb... to 60lbs... and now, I need to lose 100lbs. Even at 70lbs over weight people always say, "you are not fat!, you are just big and strong!". At 100lbs overweight it cant be faked anymore.

I'm fat. It hurts to walk. I lose my breath doing the smallest amount of movement.

I have lost weight in the past, pre-40's. This time around though, it just seems to not work. We own a gym quality treadmill - that I hate. We own a mid-range Bowflex - that is boring. We have a ton of free weights - meh.

My eating is up and down. I do well during the week. Really well.... but Fridays come around and its like all bets are off and I just eat so much. And now its starting to be a food competition with my 16 year old son, whom like me is big - but he has the metabolism of Superman. I dont.

I dont smoke (never have). I rarely drink (more of a summertime thing). My doc likes to say that "You are the healthiest fat man I have ever seen." No health issues, other then Im now 320lbs at 6' 1". My "game weight" back in the 20s was 199-220. I would be happy to be around 235.

I am looking for motivational friends from all walks of life.

Thanks for your time.

\m/

Replies

• dark_rainbow_meracorn
    Options
    I feel ya bro. If you'd like to add me, you're more than welcome to. I'm here to get healthy for the first time, well, ever really and I have been on and off the bandwagon. I'm honest with my mistakes and am usually a positive person. I hope you are having a good day today. I also hope this message finds you and yours happy and well.
    A little about me, I'm 33 5'6" tall, about 240 lbs- looking to get to around 170 lbs and I'm about to have my six year wedding anniversary with my awesome husband. I'm a weirdo, but I have a good heart and I'm here for you if you want/need support. Take care bro! ~Glynis
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    M3ltD0Vvn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the prompt friend requests already. Thanks folks. Look forward to all of us reaching goals, and the journey there.
  • Gavin_Campbell
    Gavin_Campbell Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. Sent an add request.
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    Options
    Thanks for all the friend requests. That is my first step - accountability for what I eat and do with my new found friends.

My wife and I have been married for 16 years - we have a great relationship but we have found that we just don't motivate each other when it comes to working out or eating right. Actually, on days she is being strong, sometimes I'm the bad guy and say "lets eat taco bell!"... and days I am strong, she says, "lets grab McDonalds!"

I wouldn't call it sabotage at all. Its more akin to enabling I guess.

If she suggests I eat healthier, I almost get mad, and eat more in spite. And she is the same. But then at work, if I mention I am on a diet, and my friends straight out say, "hey don't be a fat guy, eat a salad instead" its ok. Its like my wife cant criticize my eating habits, but its ok if my friends do it - and do it in a "guy way" all blunt.

Thanks for listening all. Good luck to us all.

\m/
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    Options
    Still looking for friends with like minded goals. The more the merrier.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You are more than welcome to add me ..... I have always been a yo-yo dieter ... I lost 78lbs back in 09/2010 with this site but unfortunately I let life in general and a tragedy get in the way and gave up and deleted my old account which lead me to gain everything I had lost and more .....took a few years off to find myself ..... I came back this year in Jan. was doing great then I lost 4 people within a 3 month span....I was in a terrible funk but I still came on here to chat with friends ...I finally said to myself these 4 people that I lost would not want me to give up on myself so I pulled myself out of my funk and have been going strong since Aug. of this year ....Wishing you much success on your journey ...YOU CAN DO IT ..Take one day at a time ...Please don't hestitate to reach out to me if you need help with anything :)
  • kristabella83
    kristabella83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your story is totally my story...except I'm a 32 year old woman. I just started using this app today. Hoping it can motivate me to make better choices.
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    Options
    Howdy to all my new friends! Appreciate the support. Welcome aboard!
  • Jose2382
    Jose2382 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey man.

I was in your shoes. I completely understand.
    I'm 6'2 but was 275lbs a few months ago.

I have dropped 40lbs before but a year later I was at it again.
    I was motivated to lose weight and be healthy again. This app is helping me stay in check lol. Add me

As of this morning I'm at 247.5 and counting!
    I wish you success in this beautiful journey.
    If you want to know how I did let me know.
  • tenshi_125
    tenshi_125 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey, just sent you a request. I love your sense of humor and honesty. I have about 100lb to lose as well. I was also told I'm pretty healthy by my doctor for being obese. Though I'm borderline danger-zone on all my tests: close to getting diabetes, almost high cholesterol/blood pressure. At 33 yrs old I refuse to go on medicating! I got enough *kitten* wrong with me medically already. Love to motivate & support you. Anyone else looking for a positive friend is welcome to add me.
  • tenshi_125
    tenshi_125 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    *medication (not medicating)....damn auto correcting thingy on my iPad!! Lol
  • 2009ronin
    2009ronin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am 37 and 6ft. I have just had my fourth child and am the heaviest I have ever been. I have had a pretty stressful two years and inbetween pregnancies looked after everyone else and gave up on me. If my husband would try to talk to me I would hit the chocolate and snacks and then feel worse.
    I finally decided that I no longer want to be this weight and have been on here a week.
    Hope we can all support each other on this journey. And give each other the encouragement needed on the tough days ☺
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    Options
    My friends list is growing, and I noticed it seems to have networked a few friends across the board. Always room for more.

Looking for positive people - or people that are stuck that aren't afraid of some friendly shoving in the right direction. I expect it right back when I'm being a pansy. Lets face it - typing don't lose weight. Set a goal. Speak your mind, then get ready to ride the POSI-TRAIN!

READY.... SET.....

\m/
  • macklo
    macklo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Add me .. I can use all the motivation I can get :)
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    Options
    Always room for more outspoken, kick in the butt, motivated friends! No slacker-anchors here. BEWARE - WE BARK!

I posted a weight loss this week.... ARE YOU READY?

\m/