Avocados

Options
TaraTall
TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
What sort of things do y'all do with your avocados?
I often mix it with tuna/chicken to make a chicken salad kind of thing.
I've also done that cook an egg in it and on my sammiches.
Of course, the quac is a staple too.

What other ways do you use an avocado and do yours stay fresh for at least a day once cut?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Most often I take a half to work and just salt it and scoop it out with a spoon. I also add it to salads and sandwiches and it's good sliced up on my oatmeal with some good hot sauce.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    All of the above. Creams up a smoothie very nicely, too.
    I heard a new one today. Apparently the internet is now calling avocadoes "hipster apples" hehehe
  • Tnangaley
    Tnangaley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Mash with lime juice, salt, red pepper... eat on Light rye Wasa crackers. Delicious!!!!
  • MurpheysA
    MurpheysA Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Following this, I've recently learned how good they are and that they're pretty good to eat, would like to know what else to use them for beside guacamole lol.
  • TaraTall
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    All of the above. Creams up a smoothie very nicely, too.
    I heard a new one today. Apparently the internet is now calling avocadoes "hipster apples" hehehe

Just pop it in the smoothie? Like instead of yogurt or something??! Wowza.

Also, hipster apples. Appropriate.
  • marsairforce
    marsairforce Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok, so yesterday I made this thing:
    I put some olive oil in a cast iron pan.
    Added some crushed red pepper flakes (spice thing)
    Then I cubed up some firm tofu and cooked it in the oil to soak up the spicey flavor.
    Then I also cubed up an avocado and put it into that.
    I ate it on some rice noodles.
    It was new for me, but very delicious.

I also use avocado when I make egg salad. Instead of using mayonaise, just take 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs, mash in some avocado, and hten put it into toasted bread. It tastes good like egg salad. Is likely better for you. It does look a little odd the green and white colors. But I kind of like it. Add paprika if you like that too.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado on toast for breakfast; it's especially good on marble bread.
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    When one of my kids needed to gain weight I used to mix it in everything, it made banana bread really moist.
  • chimpy123
    chimpy123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I eat it on toast too! Add a hard boiled egg or two and some chopped up cherry tomatoes. Or I put it in a kale smoothie - 1/4 cup frozen pineapple, 1/4 cup frozen mango, 1 cup kale, 1/4 avocado, 1 tbsp. chia seeds, 1 cup coconut water (give or take depending on how thick you like your shake), and one scoop vanilla protein powder - delish!
  • floresceleste28
    floresceleste28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use it with multi grain toast, egg white, and tomato. To keep fresh after you cut it a lime should do it .. Just squeeze over it.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Chop and add to a salad or a sandwich
    Guacamole for Mexican style dishes
  • BrownsFan19
    BrownsFan19 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What healthy things/snacks can you dip into guacamole? Feel like I'm eating tons of calories of I use chips.
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Fresh salad, smoked salmon, red onion, cherry tomatoes, half avocado. You will get somewhere around 250cal :)

quick and easy. No salad dressing need because salmon already had strong flavour
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    @TaraTall Yup, or with the yogurt, or instead of banana. It's hard to detect an 'avodadoey' taste unless there's a lot of it, but even 1/4 (the recommended serving size, which I think is otherwise ridiculous) makes the smoothie very rich and silky.
    I'm having some tonight diced, on top of Chipotle-style sofritos cantwaitcantwait

Also, on preserving: floresceleste28 already mentioned lime, which works well, but in addition you can leave the pit in, put it in a baggie and squeeze all of the air out so the plastic is touching the flesh. The less air that gets to it, the less it browns. I've gotten up to 3 days out of this method.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i just love it as it is.
  • TaraTall
    Options
    So I tried it in my smoothie this morning, super smooth and minimal taste over load. I tried wrapping it too so we will see tomorrow AM how it held up.

Y'all are so creative!!

@BrownsFan19
    Veggie sticks & rice crackers are my top 'healthy' items. Though nothing beats a good old tortilla chip! <3
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    There is an older thread from Jan. 25th you should look at too. A few ideas there as well. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10322586/avocadoholic#latest
  • TaraTall
    Options
    Gracias. I did a quick skim, definitely not far enough.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Love avocado! Aside from the usual uses, I usually keep some chopped avocado in the freezer and sometimes use that instead of a frozen banana in a smoothie. I also like making avocado pudding once in a while (blend an avocado with a couple tbs of unsweetened cocoa powder and sweeten to taste with honey). Makes 2 or 3 servings.

I've found if you seal the unused half (leave the pit in) into a Ziplock with a little piece of tomato, the avocado will stay fresh for several days. It starts to turn by about day 3.