Using a HRM and fitbit...advice please

Options
I am considering buying a HRM (perhaps a Polar) and would like to know how that works with logging exercise. I currently don't log anything manually but I sync my fitbit to MFP. I was wondering how it works when you use your fitbit and a separate HRM?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Polar devices only sync with Strava. Its possible to sync your Polar with Strava, and then sync Strava with MFP, but when I tried it I found that all the entries came across as cycling, and with different calorie amounts than indicated by the Polar device. I didn't like that, so I just kept entering things manually into MFP. If you were to sync, say, a Garmin device AND a Fitbit with MFP, then you'd get entries from both devices, though. I'm assuming your Fitbit is a type that doesn't have an HRM and doesn't track workouts, but just steps. So, depending on what you're doing for exercise, you could get some double-counting for steps while the other device was tracking the workout. Unless, of course, you just take off the Fitbit while you work out.
  • flyingfur74
    flyingfur74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM and a fitbit. I only use the Polar when playing high intensity sport. That being said, I wore both at one time and found the Polar gave me a higher calorie burn. I simply used the fitbit calorie burn since it was already synced and just added a note of the calorie burn from the Polar HRM in my exercise.
  • EllyKann
    EllyKann Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Very helpful!