What reward system did you use or are you using?

Options

Replies

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    hope516 wrote: »
    results

Sometimes you are not always going to see the results you want to see and sometimes the look in the mirror will not reflect the hard work you put into it...but I feel like if you have a concrete reminder system it could work better.

I agree :) I actually write down my basic info for each day in a journal and add stickers to the successful days. I know it's not exactly adult but I enjoy the process and it helps me see the chain of positive days all in a row. On days I'm not successful I color the day, to show its not a total loss but also not worthy of my Rainbow Heart stickers or smiley faces.

Someone on another thread was talking about a sticker calendar they used to potty train their kid. I think they were being sarcastic. But I was like, that sounds genius...

Now I enter my info into excel (like total calories I ate and burned from the day before) and I put my runs into excel. It is kind of its own sticker chart. I have to face up to everything AGAIN the next day, not just log and move on. Putting my runs into an excel file becomes its own reward somehow. I don't think I'd want to get enough stickers to do day by day, but I could totally see week by week.

Edited to add: I posted too soon! And my memory is bad, Capt Apollo himself. Still can't tell if he is being facetious...probably just jealous of his toddler's cool stickers...
    I'm just doing stickers in my planner so far. Gold star each day I meet my calorie target and a green star for exercise. I like the visual pattern.

that what we do with my two year old that is potty training
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Feeling good about myself. Which tends to dissipate when you hit goal weight and are in maintenance. Which is why I'm back on here again, 3 pounds from GW, and reading the maintenance boards daily.

Because that's where we really need to find ways to reward ourselves for just doing the same old thing! I do still feel good about myself.... But. So, I let myself get a new workout DVD, and this year I might get an in home barbell, rack and bench. Not a typical reward, but keeps me going.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Clothes that I could never get the courage to wear when I was bigger.

Slim fit jeans, tank tops, even HATS.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,945 Member
    Options
    How about getting back into all your clothes that you used to be able to wear before you gained the weight a few years ago. :)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    My small goal is a starbucks if I stay in my calorie allowance all week. When I hit goal weight I am getting a new tattoo that I have been itching to get for a while.
  • Igotthatcake
    Igotthatcake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I love the charm bracelet idea, I have always wanted one too! Oh gosh, I love this idea so much I'm going to go have a look at charm bracelets now :blush:

I saw these "Pounds to lose" and "pounds destroyed" jars (filled with pebbles), every time you lose a pound, you place the pebble in the other jar, when all the pounds are gone then your "pounds to lose" jar will be empty :-)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    hope516 wrote: »
    results

Sometimes you are not always going to see the results you want to see and sometimes the look in the mirror will not reflect the hard work you put into it...but I feel like if you have a concrete reminder system it could work better.

I agree :) I actually write down my basic info for each day in a journal and add stickers to the successful days. I know it's not exactly adult but I enjoy the process and it helps me see the chain of positive days all in a row. On days I'm not successful I color the day, to show its not a total loss but also not worthy of my Rainbow Heart stickers or smiley faces.

Someone on another thread was talking about a sticker calendar they used to potty train their kid. I think they were being sarcastic. But I was like, that sounds genius...

Now I enter my info into excel (like total calories I ate and burned from the day before) and I put my runs into excel. It is kind of its own sticker chart. I have to face up to everything AGAIN the next day, not just log and move on. Putting my runs into an excel file becomes its own reward somehow. I don't think I'd want to get enough stickers to do day by day, but I could totally see week by week.

Edited to add: I posted too soon! And my memory is bad, Capt Apollo himself. Still can't tell if he is being facetious...probably just jealous of his toddler's cool stickers...
    I'm just doing stickers in my planner so far. Gold star each day I meet my calorie target and a green star for exercise. I like the visual pattern.

they are really cool stickers
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I love to travel, and plan to reward myself with trips. I'm keeping track of my distance walked and biked (recumbent bike at the gym) and eventually jogging/running. When I've gone as far as a destination I want to visit, I'll reward myself with a trip there. (X miles to Montreal = walk/run/bike X miles = trip to Montreal)
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I've just started thinking about this idea of rewards - 60lbs is a big goal, and a lot to consider in one go, so breaking it down into smaller goals would be helpful for me. There are a lot of good ideas here!

I'm wary about rewarding myself with food, but I like the method one poster mentioned of eating back a portion of exercise calories as a treat. Expensive rewards are out of reach right now, but I'll have to think of some cheap or free ideas to keep me motivated! I also like the calendar/colouring/stickers ideas, to see progress or trends at a glance. I love the pebble thing as well! Visual reminders of progress would be good for me, I think.

One thing I have decided on so far, though, is that when I reach the halfway point I will treat myself to a pedicure. I've never had one and have wanted to try it, so I'll put a few bucks aside here and there to save up for one. :)
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    I love to travel, and plan to reward myself with trips. I'm keeping track of my distance walked and biked (recumbent bike at the gym) and eventually jogging/running. When I've gone as far as a destination I want to visit, I'll reward myself with a trip there. (X miles to Montreal = walk/run/bike X miles = trip to Montreal)

i absolutely heart this idea!!!!! talk about motivation!!!!
  • KirstyMoo11
    KirstyMoo11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In working towards the results of feeling good about myself, but once I hit my target weight, I'm planning a new tattoo as the ultimate prize :)
  • rachefate
    rachefate Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am putting aside 100 dollars for every kilo i drop. Once i get to my goal weight i going to use it to take the family on a trip to bali!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have a plain mason jar. It held 150 marbles, one for each pound I need to lose.

When I go down to the next lower pound, I move a marble to my beautiful, sparkly, purple vase.

I never move them back. Twice since I started I have gone up by 10 pounds before I started losing again.

So far, there are 123 marbles in the "new me" jar and only 27 in the "old me" jar!

It's a really stunning reminder of how much hard work it takes to lose weight. When I show it to friends and family they are left speachless!

• bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I also keep a calendar and write down my goals; daily, weekly, monthly and yearly. I mark off when I reach them, not with stickers, I draw on my calendar.

I also write down encouraging words, quotes and verses that I anm inspired by. When I am having a difficult time, I can go back and see my progress and re- read all the things that I have written.

It really helps to keep me going!
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I consider a trip a reward. I don't need things.
  • rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Rewards and little goals work for me. For daily goals like competing my workout, I enter it into my Google calendar. I use a separate "Rattie's Exercise" calendar so I can look at it without the clutter of family entries. I try to leave no square blank, whether I am recording a workout or a scheduled rest day. Just wanting see every square with an entry gets me moving. For longer-term little goals like "exercising 20 days this month", I might treat myself to a magazine AND time to read it or a nice at-home manicure. A one-off goal like "staying within calorie goal at this party" might get me some Amazon browsing/wishlist adding for fitness stuff and big pat on the back. I don't reward weight milestones until around 25 pounds. I plan to get a cool new band for my fitbit at 25. I will pick a reward for 50 pounds when I get closer. Goal is probably clothes from a "real" store (my weight is so unsteady, I usually buy clothes at a thrift store or WalMart). One year of maintenance will be resetting my engagement ring.

-Rattie
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

This made me chuckle. The stickers never worked for my kids but m&ms worked wonders. Probably not the best reward system for weight loss though.
  • cjwilkins08
    cjwilkins08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ooo that's such a good idea! I wish I thought of that! I just started a weight loss competition with my fiance. We made charts. We started with 50 lb goals and after every 10 lb. Loss we get a prize. My 10 lb treat is a mani peddi, 20 lb is going to get my hair done, 30 lb is a professional massage, 40 lb is a tattoo, amd 50lb is shopping! Also we turned it into a game ... for every lb we lose we put $1 in a jar.. for every lb we gain back we put $2 in the jar... and if we hit a 10 lb goal, and then gain weight after getting our prize then we have to put $20 in the jar in addition to the $2 for every lb gained.. and whoever loses the most body fat percentage by april 1 st wins the jar of $ and can spend it on whatever they want! To make it feel even more like a game I made rules for the game and rules for myself to fallow. I'm actually really excited about it!
  • alisfitgoal
    alisfitgoal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have tried to replace one physical reward (food) with another (massages!). For every month I'm 'good', I book a massage. That or workout gear. Anything that will get me in the gym to try it out. Probably both unnecessary, but they work for me.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Ooo that's such a good idea! I wish I thought of that! I just started a weight loss competition with my fiance. We made charts. We started with 50 lb goals and after every 10 lb. Loss we get a prize. My 10 lb treat is a mani peddi, 20 lb is going to get my hair done, 30 lb is a professional massage, 40 lb is a tattoo, amd 50lb is shopping! Also we turned it into a game ... for every lb we lose we put $1 in a jar.. for every lb we gain back we put $2 in the jar... and if we hit a 10 lb goal, and then gain weight after getting our prize then we have to put $20 in the jar in addition to the $2 for every lb gained.. and whoever loses the most body fat percentage by april 1 st wins the jar of $ and can spend it on whatever they want! To make it feel even more like a game I made rules for the game and rules for myself to fallow. I'm actually really excited about it!

I love this idea. You are so lucky to have the motivation, support, and camaraderie of a loved one! I think this is marvelous!