How to satisfy sweet-tooth cravings

Options
I'm looking for suggestions on recipes and foods that I can eat to stay on my diet plan AND satisfy my occassional sweet-tooth craving. I love smoothies, but in winter I'm not looking for cold treats, and if I'm on the go, well, I don't carry a blender in my pocket. :-)

Any suggestions? Help me avoid those candy bars and vending machine snacks.

Replies

• emoran88
    emoran88 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know this is a cold thing, but I love frozen bananas and they can even be dipped in melted dark chocolate. Dried fruit is good too or yogurt covered rains or nuts. I feel ya though I also have a major sweet tooth... It does get better the longer you go without eating them!
  • KUAngie
    KUAngie Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I do the 100 cal snack packs of cocoa almonds. If I buy the large packs, I usually end up eating way over my snack calorie goal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, fudge pops, Skinny Cow ice cream bars, Edy's slow churned ice cream, a lot of other single-serve ice creams aren't so bad, cocoa roasted almonds, honey roasted peanuts, Jello pudding cups, a few squares of good quality dark chocolate, hot cocoa
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    75% dark chocolate. Insert one piece in mouth. Allow to melt slowly.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    How about eating a small portion of something you like, that's, you know, sweet?
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I like the vanilla roast almonds even better than the cocoa ones. My favorite sweet thing right now is a Chobani flip Greek yogurt in either peanut butter dream or salted caramel. They have 12 grams of protein.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    75% dark chocolate. Insert one piece in mouth. Allow to melt slowly.

+1
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,305 Member
    Options
    I prefer semi-sweet chocolate chips, eaten one at a time. The first few taste very sweet, but after a dozen or so the "semi-" part starts to come to the fore, encouraging you to stop eating.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    How about eating a small portion of something you like, that's, you know, sweet?

This.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    That REALLY dark chocolate. as dark as you can stand and as high quality as you can afford. one or two squares.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Half a protein bar. A lower calorie bar that I am fond of are the "Simply" bars. They might be Canadian though.

A prune.

A sub-lingual B-12 wafer.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Make your own hot cocoa sweetened with Stevia.

Make a puffed-wheat square and add half a scoop of protein powder.
  • lewisae
    lewisae Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Half a protein bar. A lower calorie bar that I am fond of are the "Simply" bars. They might be Canadian though.

A prune.

Plus one for the protein bar, dates are good and probably the most optimal, make them into raw balls, you can throw some dates, almonds, coconut oil and even cacao powder into a food processor and blitz until combined, roll them into balls and put them in the freezer. You can change flavours by adding peanut butter and other dried fruit like apricots or cranberries, the fats from the almonds will help satiate you as well. If you want to go the extra mile you can add protein powder too.

Or, just a spoonful of natural peanut butter right in ya gob. Delicious.

• jgnatca
    Options
    You can also put a walnut inside a pitted prune. Easy peasy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Dassi326 wrote: »
    I'm looking for suggestions on recipes and foods that I can eat to stay on my diet plan AND satisfy my occassional sweet-tooth craving. I love smoothies, but in winter I'm not looking for cold treats, and if I'm on the go, well, I don't carry a blender in my pocket. :-)

Any suggestions? Help me avoid those candy bars and vending machine snacks.

I don't like cold smoothies in winter either and solved this by using warm tea as the liquid :)
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I eat 90% organic dark chocolate. It's sweet but barely. Plus it's a healthy snack!
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I make mug cakes out of my whey protein by adding a scoop of choco whey, egg whites and baking powder in microwave for 2 minutes!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Put some nuts and dried cranberries in the centre of a cored apple or pear then microwave for a few minutes. Eat alone or with a blob of ice cream.
    jgnatca wrote: »

A prune.

I get the Simply bar too. I also like the Smart for Life ones.
    I cut mine in chunks then when I need a little sweet fix I have a chunk waiting for me.

A 1/4 of a Smart for Life bar is great in plain Greek yogurt. Adds a nice bit of crunch.

Ooh I love prunes, but rarely get them. I think they will be on my shopping list this weekend.

Cheers, h.