So hungry when I wake up!

Options
Okay I see so many people saying that when they wake up in the morning they can't eat for little bit. Umm no that is not the case for me, I wake up soooooo hungry! Some mornings I my hunger wakes me up! I also usually eat good bit of food before bed. Like I am never going to bed hungry! Does this happen to anyone else, anyone know why or is it just the way my body works?

Replies

• kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    LOL I'm the same way!! I eat within 30 minutes of waking usually.
  • savvynurse
    savvynurse Posts: 292
    Options
    I happens to me WHEN I eat before going to bed. I try not to eat at least a couple of hours prior to bed time. I can usually go after I wake up for a while before I HAVE TO eat. Good luck!!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I try to eat some protein, like a string cheese or some hummus, before bed. Nothing wrong with being hungry when you wake up...a good incentive to eat a good breakfast!:wink:
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    If I eat carbs right before bed (cereal, usually) I wake up really hungry. Sometimes my sugar will crash even before I can fix something. I started trying to eat mostly protein if I just HAVE to have something on my tummy to sleep. It helped.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    i usually don't eat anything after 7 or 8 pm, and i wake up hungry every day!
  • slynn777
    slynn777 Posts: 17
    Options
    I used to be the same way, "No I can't eat til I am up for a while and have had my coffee". But I changed that - since my trainer told me to eat within 30 minutes of getting up to jumpstart my metabolism. So I eat a protein shake before I leave for work. Now my belly is trained to be hungry when I wake up. It is good that you are !! Eat a banana or protein shake within 30 min of waking up.
  • nibblerbigcat
    Options
    I am the same exact way. Breakfast is my top priority in the morning. Oddly, though, I only get seriously hungry when I sleep in. When I wake up early to go to class or work, like 6 am, I can hold off my hunger until 8 or 9. When I sleep in till 9 or 10, I wake up starving and want to eat right away. I guess that's the time my body is really crying out for food.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I think being hungry when you wake up is a fantastic sign. It means your metabolism was kicked up during the night and you body is ready for more food!! I think people who aren't hungry in the morning are the weird ones ;)
  • pinkgirlzoe
    pinkgirlzoe Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i go to bed hungry!!!!!!!!!!!
  • destiny637
    destiny637 Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm VERY hungry when I wake up in the morning, and often breakfast is the biggest meal I eat all day. It works for me though. :)
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I wake up starving but I ignore it and it goes away within an hour. It comes and goes throughout the morning but I don't eat anything.
  • vthomeschoolmom
    vthomeschoolmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i go to bed hungry!!!!!!!!!!!

Big glass of water before bed does the trick for me. Once asleep, I don't feel the hunger! ;)
  • AEisele
    AEisele Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before going to bed, but I have to eat breakfast as soon as I get up. That's really funny because I never use to eat breakfast. I thought it was because of all the meds I take. But I do eat a good breakfast. I make sure it includes a protien. and I make sure I eat before doing anything else.

I have tired to make it a rule not to eat withing 2 hours of bed. I don't have much of a problem with that. Now my hubby, he eats carbs before bed (cereal) Now his doctor told him to take his thyroid med at bed time so he can't eat within two hours of taking it. It's making him cranky but he is ajusting.
  • timtamslam
    timtamslam Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I also wake up hungry every morning and always have done, even if I eat just before bed or 2-3 hours before bed. I'll still wake up hungry. Don't think there's anything wrong with it though, it's usually a good incentive to have a decent well balanced breakfast. :)
  • timtamslam
    timtamslam Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I also wake up hungry every morning and always have done, even if I eat just before bed or 2-3 hours before bed. I'll still wake up hungry. Don't think there's anything wrong with it though, it's usually a good incentive to have a decent well balanced breakfast. :)
  • mercedes25
    mercedes25 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have heard/read that it could mean your metabolism is speeding up. Is that true?
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I have heard/read that it could mean your metabolism is speeding up. Is that true?

I don't know, but that's exactly what I was wondering. I never used to wake up hungry, but now that I am losing weight through MFP(and working out - yes, I eat my exercise calories) it is happening every day. I used to get hungry in the evenings, but it seems to have completely switched around. It makes no difference what or when I eat the night before, and I always have water.

It doesn't make any difference really, but it is interesting! Anybody else know?
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    I am always hungry when I wake up but it's not a problem because I get to eat breakfast! I LOVE breakfast and it's generally the biggest (calorie wise) meal I eat. My big challenge is to eat it slowly and thoughtfully, not wolf it down. Hunger (in my case) is not an emergency. I figure it's normal to be hungry in the morning - you have fasted all night!
  • shaninicole
    shaninicole Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use to not be able to eat in the morning. Now I make a smoothie every morning it really has my metabolism revved up. I mix carrot juice, whey protein, flaxseed, frozen fruit, a banana, plain yogurt and powdered vitamins. Its not too much food but my body is getting all it needs and it fills me up for two hours until snack time.
  • orly1029
    orly1029 Posts: 2
    Options
    Obviously, no one here knows. Everyone is a boob and is only going to echo your original question. Somehow it happens to them too. I am sorry.