I need help

Options
I've been around the block a few times with my attempts to lose weight. I've struggled and struggled to eat less, exercise more and I'd go a few days, maybe a week before I give up and bury my head in a bag of doritos or cheese nachos. I've ate myself into some health problems and now my doctor has told me that I'm prediabetic and have high cholesterol. I'm morbidly obese, my bones hurt, my knees hurt, I cry when I look in the mirror. I desperately want to know what it's like to feel good about what I look like and how I feel. Everyday pretty much for the last 10+ years I say to myself, this is the day that I change...and then by 5:00PM I say F it, I'll start tomorrow. Imagine doing this for over 10 years...

Am I doing something wrong? Am I just destined to be fat?!! I don't know what's wrong with me.

Replies

• sara1302016
    sara1302016 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You need motivation and support request friends on my fitness pal it has helped me keep on track seeing how well their doing go at your own pace start by walking for a few minutes and gradually incorporate some type of workout routine buy 100 calorie or less snacks like almonds peanuts yogurts and know you are human and we all feel like giving up at times it's hard to lose weight but you can do it give yourself a goal and stick to it like this week I'm going to lose 1lb eat plenty of vegetables you can bake them steam them lots of protein baked chicken grilled portion control good luck add me if you need a friend
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    It seems like you are procrastinating and never getting started. Try putting your info into mfp ans logging your food. Then stick to your daily calorie goal. If you do it every day and stick to a deficit you can lose weight. It just takes some commitment. Just commit to logging every day and take it one day at a time. This app really works if you follow it.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    @_wendygetsfit I started out in a similar place..337lb, bad medical stats..but then I gave up soda for 0 calorie beverages, and when I was able to do that for a couple weeks, I was able to start logging and trying to keep my calories lower. I didn't exercise really, I just watched what I ate. Now I'm 80lbs lighter and my health stats are all in the good catagory =)
    Point is, just start with 1 thing and see how it goes..I think it'll lead you to more positive changes. Gl!
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    MFP goes a long way to keeping you on track. It motivates you to focus on your goal and rewards you with a sneak peak at your future self when you succeed. Start logging your food and collect friends if you need some external support. You won't be disappointed (coming from someone who has also been a chubster for 10 years).
  • jsuh1993
    jsuh1993 Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My 2 Cents:

I think food is very addicting - at least the sugary and the fatty ones that you might have had exposure to all your life. There are studies that show the similarities between how your brain response to sugar and some other popular hard drugs. In a sense, food is like drugs..

With that said, some people can overcome casual usage of drugs on their own, while others might need guidance. I suggest that you listen to some people here and follow a specific plan (which helps a lot). But at the end of the day, it will come down to your personal motivation and the will power. If you see yourself giving up a lot, there is no shame is seeking professional help. This is how I would see things..

One last thing... NO TV and Facebook after 6pm!!!

There are so much food reference in TV/Social Media that it will certainly not help with late night cravings!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    No tv and facebook after 6 pm? That's the only time I get TV time! My advice would be grab a hula hoop or resistance bands and turn your tv time into some activity instead of denying yourself...

It sounds like you get discouraged pretty quickly, so it might be that you're trying to do too much all at once. Try logging your food intake for a week or two, and once you can see your patterns, cut out one unhealthy thing per week and replace it with a healthy thing. Remember that you aren't just losing weight, you're changing your entire life and improving your lifestyle. We get hung up on "lose weight", but if you consider it a 'healthy life' instead of just losing weight, and be patient with yourself, you'll get there! A little at a time. Also, be kind to yourself. Have faith in yourself. You can do this!
  • deanaferrari
    deanaferrari Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like ElizabethOak...'s advice, as well as AspenDan's. Just start simple and keep to simple for a month. Then when you're feeling more confident, change out one "negative" or unhealthy thing for healthier - yet TASTY - alternative. If it's not tasty, you're going to go back to the old favorite. For me, it was ramen. I adore ramen - ate it for lunch and for dinner (with veggies/meats mixed in - but high carbs, high sodium, high fats). I created a soup of greens and broth made with spices, olive oil, and garlic. Loads of flavor, not the bad stuff. It took time, but I now feel confident that I won't go back to ramen if I had the choice. Good luck!!
  • Cat0703
    Cat0703 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm here too if you need a friend. I'm in exactly the same boat, battled for 10 years, knees hurt, cannot walk up the stairs without getting out of breath, pre diabetes, couldn't make myself start again. But something triggered almost two weeks ago and I wrote down a list of all of the reasons I wanted to lose weight and what was holding me back...there were a lot more reasons to lose in that list than not. It's tough sometimes to track and make healthy meals but oh so worth it each time I see a pound gone from that scale. And when I'm craving the nachos or chips, I sit down with my list and a big glass of water and decide if they really are worth it or not.

You can do this! Please add me if you need a friend. :)
  • Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just put in a goal to lose .5 pound a week, and stay in the calorie limit. Make healthier choices as you go, but you can eat chips if you want. Just count the calories. Don't deprive yourself, especially not at first.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    don't give yourself such a hard time! nobody is "destined" to be overweight, if you believe that you will be overweight. I think success for losing weight/fitness is mostly mental. I had to have the mindset before I could attempt to make any other changes. The physical part was easy and took care of itself.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Can you see a therapist? You need professional support. These are tough problems.