Fitbit Seems to Be Giving Me Too Many Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Fletchie251092
    Options
    I've just set mine up and its saying I've burned 829 calories :S I've done literally nothing other than set it up and I don't know how to get it to reset!
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've just set mine up and its saying I've burned 829 calories :S I've done literally nothing other than set it up and I don't know how to get it to reset!

the 829 is how many calories its estimating you've burnt so far for the day for you just living and this is normal, and how the fitbit functions. it doesn't necessarily mean that its crediting you with any additional burnt calories but tracking how much you have burnt. mfp in your setup estimates how much you'll burn and if the fitbit total burnt for the day exceeds what mfp thinks you should have burnt then it will give you extra calories for the day. no need to reset your fitbit
  • ceilidh92
    ceilidh92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I too disconnected my Fitbit.

I was getting frustrated that I would have a small amount of calories, like +150 before bed at 10pm. And when I woke I noticed that the day ended on a deficit of like -200 calories. It just seemed like I never knew where I was calorie-wise because it would give me too many and then take them away. Frustrating!

That is why I disconnected it and now just use it as an expensive pedometer.

David
  • bcoonfield
    bcoonfield Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is an old thread but I stumbled across this and wanted to put in my 2 cents. When I first started using my fitbit flex I thought the calorie adjustments were pretty accurate. Since then I've gotten pretty fit and now my resting heart beat is about 55 bpm. It seems like the calorie adjustment is now too high. It must be based on some sort of average heart rate. As I've gotten fitter and my metabolism is more efficient the adjustment has gone from spot on to a bit too high.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    bcoonfield wrote: »
    This is an old thread but I stumbled across this and wanted to put in my 2 cents. When I first started using my fitbit flex I thought the calorie adjustments were pretty accurate. Since then I've gotten pretty fit and now my resting heart beat is about 55 bpm. It seems like the calorie adjustment is now too high. It must be based on some sort of average heart rate. As I've gotten fitter and my metabolism is more efficient the adjustment has gone from spot on to a bit too high.

Just curious what you are basing your calorie burn being lower because your resting HR is lower?
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I walked over 10000 steps today and my fitness pal only gave me an extra 140 calories. 1000 calories for walking 15000 steps seems crazy excessive to me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    so far today I've done 15,200 steps, which has earned me 650 extra calories. I'm set at sedentary.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    I walked over 10000 steps today and my fitness pal only gave me an extra 140 calories. 1000 calories for walking 15000 steps seems crazy excessive to me.

That all depends on what a persons activity level is set at among other things.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I changed my setting from light to sedentary today, so I will see what it tries to give me now :)
  • stephaniemarie2
    stephaniemarie2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So... I have done about 5,600 steps today. It has added 232 calories to my set 1,200 I get for the day. So does that mean if I eat 1,432 calories I could still be on a track for losing? I feel any calories I get for my fitbit, should not be eaten. I'm afraid to eat back those calories as I am losing verrryyyyyy slowly. Thoughts? I am fearful of eating back my exercise calories.
  • lordytaylor
    lordytaylor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit charge HR a few days ago, and it is giving me amazing numbers. Yesterday I was on the treadmill (brisk walk, no running) for 30 minutes and it says I burned about 400 calories in about 3000 steps - which seems high, but not outrageous. The rest of the day, with no exercise, I had 6000 additional steps and it says my total calories burned for the day was 3249!!! Did I really burn 2800 calories just walking around? I work in an office and sit on my butt most of the day.

What am I missing?
  • curt1capt
    curt1capt Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR too and have been using it for almost a month. For the most part it seems to work alright with MFP except a few times I get these weird numbers in the "Cardiovascular" section. Yesterday the "Fitbit calorie adjustment" registered 574 under calories burned three times in a row. I did a HIIT workout on my elliptical for 25 minutes first thing in the morning which I recorded and then by the end of the day I got these additional entries of 574.

It looks like this:

CARDIOVASCULAR_____________MINUTES__________CALORIES BURNED
    Elliptical Trainer___________________25___________________360
    Fitbit calorie adjustment____________N/A__________________574

This isn't the first time it's done this in the short time I've had the Charge HR.
  • ayreka7
    ayreka7 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to be really high too. I'm set to active because i do a great deal of walking at work and chasing two kids after work. Most days I'm at 18-20,000+ steps and I have over 1,500 "exercise calories" added from Fitbit. I'm 5'5" and 178. Not sure how I would lose weight at 2,800 calories a day. Some days I'm hungrier but usually I'm fine. I have the charge HR also.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am having the complete opposite problem with my Zip. I'm aiming for and getting 10k steps on non-lifting days and 8k on lifting days. So far it has me burning around 2050 on lifting days and 1900 on non-lifting days. It does not correlate with my 18+ months of tracking data. It's 200-300 calories under my TDEE according to my data.