I feel disgusting

Options
I just ruined my day of good choices and healthy eating by eating a bunch of chocolate... I have a BIG problem with emotional eating and I don't know how to stop!!! I eat when I'm stressed, upset, angry, etc.... Does anyone have any tips or tricks to stop this DISGUSTING Habit... I really need help...

Replies

• aimytye187
    aimytye187 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It's gotten so out of control that I want to eat when I watch a sad episode of one of my favorit tv shows!!! I don't know what to do anymore to stop it!!!
  • Camarose79
    Camarose79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. Tomorrow is a new day. If you feel really bad about it like you can't just move on, then go outside for a minute, go for a walk or even just go out and look at the moon or something.
  • Camarose79
    Camarose79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Also, instead of watching TV and eating the whole time, I have gotten some of those coloring books and I do that.
  • AshleyC19912016
    AshleyC19912016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keep all of that stuff out of your house. If that's impossible likemit is in my house put all the snacks in a black bag so u don't see any of it. My man loves snack n candy n chocolate and the funny thing is that he only weighs 150 and he eats alot. I hope I helped!! Losing weight is hard and slow! I want to lose 60 lbs! I gained that from having my two kids! I feel so ugly!! :(
  • natalienwilson9
    natalienwilson9 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would do what Ashley C says and leave it out of your house. That way you don't eat it.
  • aimytye187
    aimytye187 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I appreciate any suggestions and help!!! Thank you!!! Feel free to add me I never turn away a friend in this journey!!! Thanks for the support!!! :)
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Also, you're not disgusting. Chocolate is not disgusting. Try not to label yourself or the food you eat. Viewing it as simply another food choice takes away it's power and you can choose when and how much to eat it.
    If you're turning to food to cope with stress, try another activity instead. Exercise will make you feel better both physically and emotionally!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have a history of binge eating. Some things I've done to get it under control,

1. Keep problem foods out of the house.
    2. Keep foods that I can portion in out of the way places so I have to think and plan before eating them. Like I have a locked cupboard in the garage, which is cold right now! It's not pleasant to step into the freezing garage, to use the combination lock to get a treat.
    3. If there's something in the house I have thought I could handle but I find myself starting to crave, obsess, eat too much of, I get rid of it fast. This is easy in my house because I can pawn off stuff on my children. :p
    4. If you bake, plan ahead on gifting most of it (or using it as a treat for family night!)
    5. Be kind to yourself when you overindulge, log and move on. Self hating will only make you feel worse about yourself.
    6. Adopt other healthy habits. I have a personal goal to move at least 30 minutes a day, usually it's more but even on the tough days, when I'm sick, I stretch or do pilates. No matter what, I know I've done something for myself and on the days when I do eat too many calories, it helps off set the damage.

I've been working on my eating for year and I'm far from perfect, but I'm better then I use to be. Keep plugging forward, that's the most important advice I can give.
  • whitneyyd33
    whitneyyd33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    *kitten* happens, it's okay to cheat nobody's perfect. You're not disgusting. I'm an emotional eater too, I try to chew gum or eat something not to bad, i personally don't like chocolate. But when I crave the sweets I try to have a dessert flavored yogurt or something else sweet but healthy. If I crave chips I go for homemade veggie/fruit crisps instead. Chocolate is actually good for you in moderation. Just limit yourself as hard as it is. Get the "mini" sized chocolates and when you get stressed, eat one then enter the calories once you see the number it makes you not want to have anymore. Try taking emotions out at the gym as well. When I get mad or stressed I go to the gym or I drive to somewhere peaceful. Hope this helps
  • aranda22
    aranda22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! What helps me instead of going for a snack i get a glass of water and i also started placing diff. Fruit in ziploc bags so instead of chips or icecream i just go to the fridge and get fruit baggie. And dont put yourself down we all have our bad days all we can do is do better the next day :smiley:
  • nikimagoo
    nikimagoo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Following... This was me today! But at least even on my worst day my I still logged and it said I would still be lighter in five weeks. Try to remember that you are already making good choices, so your bad ones aren't quite as bad as they once may have been!
  • hugrabug
    hugrabug Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have days like that, too. I think everyone does from time to time. As others have said, log it and let your focus be on tomorrow having better choices.

The biggest help I've found is finding things to keep my busy when I start feeling myself falling into depressive/bored eating. Ive started reading more and taken up a few easy crafts that keep me focused. It's helped tremendously -- I might slip up sometimes and eat more junk than real food, but I try not to let it trip me up. Good luck!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have issues with emotional eating - like other posters have said its easier if there just isnt any junk in the house to biinge on. But when craving stuff and i'm at the shops, i pick it off the shelf and say (in my head of course!) "I am making the decision to buy this chocolate/bag of sweets/biscuits in the knowledge that I will eat them and feel bad. AM I happy with this decision". 9 times out of 10, I put them back on the shelf. Its a weird technique (for me anyway) but has helped me big time with accountability which (for me) was what the binge eating was about. Once I made myself accountable for it and didn't blame it on PMT or husband not loving me or any of the other myriad excuses I used to make, resisting it became easier.

Im not saying its a sure fire solution but it works for me. xx
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Clean your house and put your best table linens and fresh flowers on the table. Remove electronics except for music near the table. Put a sign in the TV room that says 'no calorie zone'. Then eat everything eaten at home at the table with a plate, knife, and fork. Take a picture of your plate before you eat it. Clear the table and do dishes after you eat. Trust me: that chocolate will lose it's appeal.
  • alisfitgoal
    alisfitgoal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with snacking in front of the TV too - I didn't even realize it had become such a habit until one day I didn't want to start watching the recorded show until I had some snack in my hand, and was getting frustrated I didn't have a snack!

I agree with other posters. Just make a rule that you don't get to eat on the couch. It has to be at the table, off a plate. It will make a difference. Also - if you have the room - I have a cheap spin bike that I put downstairs by the TV and I told myself that if I watch one of my 'indulgent' TV shows (read: trashy), I have to be sitting on the bike, at least kind of pedaling. It helps.
  • CaptainPepperJack
    CaptainPepperJack Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you're tempted - go brush your teeth. Seriously. It works. Everything tastes terrible after that. :smiley:
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    - Keep foods you snack on out of the house. Don't let others bring it in, either. If it's not there, you can't eat it.

- If you get a craving for something, distract yourself. If you don't have one already, find a hobby that requires use of your hands. Sketch, sew, cross-stitch, hell get one of the fancy coloring books. I know for me, snacking is a habit, and if my craving is because of habit and not hunger, doing something with my hands distracts me and keeps me from snacking.

- Don't keep ANY food near where you spend a lot of time. If you watch a lot of TV, it's banned from your TV room. If you snack in front of the computer, don't have anything near your computer desk. A lot of habit snacking is availability, so denying that makes it easier to distract yourself, and if it's habit or craving, not actual hunger, that's usually enough for people. I don't keep food in my office. If I want a snack, I have to go downstairs and just that is enough to keep me from snacking. Laziness does sometimes pay off! XD

- If you try different suggestions and still crave it after about an hour, go to the gas station and get a SMALL package. Ok, granted, small packages of chips are usually 2 servings, but that's better than 20. Take only enough cash to get something small. In fact, if you're close enough, walk to the gas station. You get some exercise and still get a treat at the end.

- When you do make mistakes, *and we ALL do from time to time*, log it, learn from it, and move on. This is one of the hardest lessons for most people: you have to forgive yourself. You're not perfect, you do screw up from time to time. Forgive yourself and move on. It's not the end of the world, one bad day isn't going to sabotage you or make you a failure. It makes you human. I know it's hard to do, but work on learning to accept this. Once you internalize it, things do become easier.
  • 2015bend
    2015bend Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No one is disgusting when you are trying to change something in your lifestyle. It takes mega amounts of effort, fantastic job to all who are! I have my downfalls as well, my new line of thinking is, if I want something "off my menu" I am placing an exercise before it and making my choice of food my reward. We all know, everyone works differently and offering up what I am doing. Hope this helps and more than happy to continue support. Strive on!
  • dennisnguyen
    dennisnguyen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Definitely get the feeling of disgust out of your head. As others have mentioned, try to take junk foods out of your home. I have my fair share of triggers as well. I love spam, but most people hate it. Spam is definitely not a healthy choice, but I have disciplined myself to eat responsibly. I will probably never take spam out of my diet, but I consume it in moderation. I eat about 1 can of spam in a week. I say about 1 can because I spread out my consumption during the week and in most cases, I have to throw it out before I finish the can. There are also times when I get a fast food crave. I make the effort to take a run to a fast food restaurant instead of driving. This is a fun way to get exercise and satisfy a craving. When I'm not motivated to go running, it also means that I'm not getting fast food.
  • 1kk1N
    1kk1N Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    K first of all it is not disguisting, and unlike everyone else, I personally don't believe you should get it out of your house. Stop telling yourself you can't have it and chances are you won't really want it to much. I have a milo and a couple of biscuits everynight before bed, Boredom eating and emotional eating is just that, you can sit down and eat a block of chocolate or a loaf of bread or a block of cheese, trick is to occupy yourself, start colouring, playing mindless games on your ph, heck even start knitting the last thing you want to do at 10pm is go for a run, weightloss is mostly about retraining the brain, I have a lot of weight to loose but in the past 2 1/2 weeks i have lost just over 4 kg and thats with my night time snack, I gave up smoking and turned to food and guess what most of it was "healthy" only once a fornight would i indulge in "naughty" food but because it was off limits i indulged lots. Best of luck to you, you are already doing an amazing job because you are going after something you want, just remember don't be too hard on yourself <3