HRM that counts steps, or a fitness tracker with optional HRM chest strap?

Options
So, my Polar F4 is finally kicking the bucket after eight years of trusty service. A lot has changed in the world of fitness tracking since then and I'm feeling completely overwhelmed! Can anyone help me narrow down the options?

Features I need:
- step counting
- heart rate monitoring for exercise - MUST use chest strap (don't care if it's an optional extra)
- cals burnt

Nice to haves:
- sleep tracking
- compatible with MFP and iOS
- prompts to move, or daily step targets to reach

So far, all I've found is the Garmin Vivosmart, but I'm worried about the mixed reviews online. I'm not too worried about price, as everything is more expensive in Australia anyway, but under AU$300 all in would be nice.

Replies

• Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have same goals. I researched, read reviews then just broke down and ordered the Vivosmart 2 from Walmart on line for $80.00. I'm leaving to pick it up right now. WooHoo!
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I did the stupid thing. I bought a polar h7 Heart rate monitor and then a vivofit 2. Kinda wish I would have got the garmin hrm now. But, honestly steps are a novelty to me. I think I just got it because all the cool kids were doing it
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    I have same goals. I researched, read reviews then just broke down and ordered the Vivosmart 2 from Walmart on line for $80.00. I'm leaving to pick it up right now. WooHoo!

Did you mean the Vivosmart HR, or the Vivofit 2?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Have the VivoActive. I love it.
  • haydiz70
    haydiz70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend the Vivoactive too!
  • docj381
    docj381 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Polar has a lot of fitness tracker options you might look at. I have the A300, which is really about a step up from the one you are retiring. It's pretty basic, but it still meets every requirement on your list: counts steps, compatible with MFP on iOS (not on android yet from what I understand), automatically detects sleep very accurately, inactivity alarm to encourage you to move, and daily activity goals you can adjust between 3 levels depending on your lifestyle.

I bought it in combo with the H7 chest strap monitor for around $120 (USD). Not sure what that would translate to in your area of the world but I would have to imagine it is under 300. They have higher level watches with GPS tracking as well if that is a feature that interests you. I don't know much about the other brands. I sort of stumbled into this purchase due to wanting a HRM but I haven't regretted it for a moment. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Julie
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »

Did you mean the Vivosmart HR, or the Vivofit 2?

You're right it's the Vivofit 2. Too much research got my heading spinning. How many calories do you burn doing that?

• RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, Julie! I hadn't heard of that model, but I am very fond of Polar considering my great experience with my F4. GPS doesn't bother me so much as I do that on my phone using Zombies, Run. It certainly does sound like something right up my alley!

The VivoActive is almost $400 here, and maybe a bit too fancy for what I need? Not sure yet, but thanks for the recommendation!