Job interview & weight loss dilemma

Options
I would appreciate any and all help here. Thanks.

I have been looking for work since I graduated in December. It is tough out there. I've been on lots of interviews, even 2nd interviews, but keep getting passed over. I have 5 interviews this week (2 of them are today). Yesterday at an interview, the interviewer asked me how my health was. I told him that it was actually good, I had lost almost 70 pounds and am still on the track to lose more. He said that was great and I felt proud of it. But I've done this before, mention my weight loss in my desire to be healthy and still been passed over for someone else.

So I guess my question is, should I mention my lifestyle change and weight loss? I usually don't--and feel like people don't want to hire me because of my size. I know I'm qualified for the position, or I wouldn't apply for it. I'm pleasant and have excellent credentials and references. I am currently interning (no pay) and my supervisor told me that no one has called her for a job reference for me. They love me where I am interning, and I love them, too. Wish I could stay there, but they can't afford to pay me. (non-profit, limited funds)

So to the people that have experienced this, what have you done? Have you felt like your weight has kept you from getting the jobs you have applied for? Should I mention my weight loss? For people that don't have much to lose, this may be a non-issue, but for people like me, it's a valid concern. I just feel like prejudice against heavy people is rampant in the work force. I am trying so hard to stay positive, but it's not easy. I'm worried about providing for my children and want so much to be working for pay somewhere.

Thanks for your input. Have a great Friday!! :smile: Btw, I have another interview in an hour. Hope this goes well!!

Replies

• grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Does the job have anything to do with your weight?
    I can't see why it would even come up otherwise??

I would not mention it unless it was a job that directly related to physical activity & health/fitness was a critical factor.
  • shelcof
    shelcof Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    #1 if you think you are being passed over because of your health, I think that's illegal
    #2 losing 70 pounds SHOULD make you look better to an employer, it shows that you have determination and are willing to work hard toward a goal
    #3 congratulations on your weight loss!
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Good luck on the interview!

Your question is a tough one. We hear all the time about discrimination in the work force for so many things. I would think that a large weight loss like 70 lbs would indicate that when you set a goal, you meet it, you have determination, etc. On the other hand, many people will look at you and think "you weighed even more?"

I don't know what line of work you are in. If it's customer/client-facing, image is more important in some industries than others. And it seems worse for women than men.

Is it even legal to ask about your health? Perhaps an answer along the lines of "I just had a physical and my doctor tells me I am in excellent health" would be a good answer...I wish I had better advice for you....
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't hesitate to mention your weight loss if it could come up in the conversation naturally. It shows you have willpower, can make goals and stick to them : )
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's illegal for them to ask you about your health... I'd look into that.
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Ask the person why you didn't get the job, and what could be done to improve your chances with future interviews.

If you genuinely feel that you're not being considered because of weight/loss (congrats, btw! 70 lbs?! awesome!), then it needs to be reported. Where? I'm not sure, but it is a form of discrimination and it's one of the least recognized forms of discrimination.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    They can show a list of requirements for the job and ask you if you can perform them. But they have to ask it of every applicant or it can be considered discrimination. I have weighed over 300 lbs since I was 21 (I'm 41 now) and it's never stopped me from getting a job even ones that had a physical element to it. I don't see any reason to mention the weight loss.

I think right now the job market is tighter than ever and it's just rough out there for everyone.

Best of luck with the job search! :flowerforyou:
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    double post
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Great job on losing the weight! That's amazing in itself! I know that a lot of employers out there will overlook obese people. My mother has been obese pretty much all of her adult life and she always struggled to get people to see past her weight and hire her even though she was qualified and had great references. I do not agree with it at all, don't get me wrong but its something that happens. Most companies look to hire people they find attractive. I don't want to discourage you because my mother was always able to find a job and she really enjoyed the places she worked for because she never felt judged, it just took a little more effort.

I don't know how you would go about filing a complaint with the companies or anything because they can always say that they didn't not hire you for your weight but because there was someone else more qualified and with the job market the way it is right now it would be really hard to prove otherwise. You're going to find something and I'm sure it will be worth the wait! Good luck on your interviews!
  • BrandiPants
    BrandiPants Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As someone who interviews people a lot and has had lots of interview training, I can tell you that it is absolutely illegal for them to ask you about your health. Just as it is to ask about your age or religion. They are all questions that lead to discrimination. I work in a very image based industry (I'm an Area Supervisor for a nationwide salon chain) and asking a question like that is a big no no.
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I really believe that if the manager that is at my restaraunt now was the manager then, I would not have been hired either. I have been at my job for over 10 years and am glad I had the opportunity to prove that I was a good server. But I really believe if this manager was here then I would not have had the chance to prove myself. I really believe it is very hard for BIG ladies to get a job. I will just do what comes easy to me and helps me in all aspects of my life "I will pray for your situation" Please keep us updated and let us all know WHEN, not IF you get a job soon.
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I work as a counselor who works with individuals with disabilties to help them find employment... and of course as I'm sure you know it is illegal for them to ask about a disability or your health unless it directly impacts your ability to do the job... problem is if you pursue that route, or you tell them I'm sorry but it is illegal for you to ask me that, you are ruining your chances of getting hired, and yes you can call the dept. of labor, etc. etc... but bottom line is it isn't going to get you anywhere really....

now with all of that being said.... I think how your responded to the question how is your health was perfect! If it never came up, they didn't mention it...then I wouldn't mention it.... I loved what someone said about your doctor saying when you last had a physical completed that you were healthy... I would say that and then throw in there w/ that, that you are dedicated to a healthy lifestyle and have lost 70 lbs (wooohoooo amazing job btw) and that you are motivated to continue to lose weight and become even healthier.

It's always a really fine line, I am a amputee, along with having had in the past open hear surgery, seizures, etc... and when I finished my degree and started looking for work straight out of school at age 22, it was difficult to decide whether I disclosed my information to my employer or not....

bottom line is if it's not brought up I wouldn't mention it...if it is then I'd discuss it.... Have you when you received a rejection letter contacted the employer back? I might would and talk with the person that interviewed you, just tell them I am so sorry I didn't receive the position I was very interested in working for your company, can you please tell me is there anything I should do differently on an interview that could help me in the future.... is there any suggestions or pointers that you could give me to hlep me on my next interview.... see what they say.... just a thought....

good luck sweetie!!!!
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    Turn it into a real positive by saying that in the last couple of years you've really clarified your goals for your life and know where you want to be personally and professionally and give examples like graduating, healthy lifestyle changes resulting in weight loss, etc. Tell them how those things have helped you learn more about yourself and what you're capable of, that you're more confident and able to take life by the horns, etc. etc. Rehearse a few little spiels at home so you're comfortable with it.

Clarity, confidence, commitment - they should eat it up if served properly!

GOOD LUCK!

ps: You have gorgeous eyes!
  • fitcait82
    fitcait82 Posts: 1
    Options
    First of all, congrats on the weight loss!

Secondly, I don't know what kind of position you are applying for, but a question about your health does not seem appropriate. To me, that sounds like they could be trying to figure out your insurability or maybe your attendance. Perhaps you could get them to elaborate to make sure that they aren't leading you into talking about your weight. For example: "How's your health?" "My health?" That might lead them to explaining why they are asking.

If you were going to talk about your weight loss, it might be a good response to a question about a goal or a challenge that you've taken on and been successful at. Good luck with the interviews!!
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    Maybe you could mention work with your weight loss... Like for example saying your very dedicating to losing weight and with work you would also be very dedicated and nothing would stop you from getting the job done..
  • AshleighFTM
    AshleighFTM Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As someone who is in the 400lb club. I totally can relate to your story.

I have been a general manager for a while, when I finished my degree. I applied in my corporate office for an entry level position within my degree filed . I have applied to about four different openings over the past year, considering I have been with the company seven years, I am an excellent canidate for internal promotion. I have some of the best results in the company, a great reference from my district manager.and regional manager, i have bench to fill my position. But its just not happening. I know its immoral but people judge based on appearance all the time!

Whats crazy is I would be going from a physical job to a desk job, whats my weight/health matter? (ps- no one ever has asked about my health in any job i have ever worked/interviewed for, but its not illegal... the protected dicriminations are age, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, citizenship, disability, veteran status, political stance, marital status, even tobacco use but weight and height are not protected by the federal government(although some regions are getting more progressive))

As a general manager I handle second interviews and job offers. I try not to judge a book by its cover but some things are hard to avoid. There are the obvious no nos when showing up for an interview but there are also subtle things that throw you off. Weight doesn't phase me but duh I'm fat. Can you be so sure other people don't judge, of course not... its the first thing anyone notices about me...

Best practice, always follow up and ask for feedback. See if there is something you can approve on.

Look for an enviroment that is size accepting. Since I work retail I applied for a job with Torrids HR. Got offered a position that is SO above my experience, too bad they couldn't even match my current pay.

I wouldn't bring up weight at all, what does it have to do with anything, I don't think even loss shows anything. They (if they are going to discriminate) are still gonna judge on what they see infront of them.

Keep plugging!!! You will find a job and a work enviroment you will love! (and they will love you regardless of whether or not you've reached your goal weight) Good luck girlie!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I have heard of studies where heavy weight people have been passed over for jobs, but I wouldn't hesitate about telling of your loss. This describes your desire to change and better yourself.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's illegal for them to ask you about your health... I'd look into that.

It's completely illegal for an employer/potential employer to ask questions about your health, other than regarding specific abilities NECESSARY to do the job (i.e. "Can you lift 50 lbs?" for a warehouse worker). I'd contact the EEOC and file a complaint. That's bullsh*t... and none of their business!!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I wanted to thank everyone for responding. You all had some great ideas and suggestions. I had those two interviews today and they both went very well. The one this afternoon was absolutely spectacular and I feel reallllllllly good about it. I decided to mention the weight loss in response to a determination question. He seemed very impressed. I will let you all know how it goes.

I am also going to look into the "how's your health?" question that other man asked me and see about filing a complaint.
    The type of work I do is accouting/office work and requires the ability to sit at a desk all day. Nothing physical required really. So....yeah.

Anyway....
    Have a great weekend everyone!! :smile:
  • Hipchick0805
    Hipchick0805 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Go in there and tell them what youcould bring to that organization and why you frrl you are the best candidate. It is illegal and rudefor a potential employer to even ask you how your health is. If you were not physically capable to perform the job I am sure that you wouldn't apply correct?

So, do a history check (look up Google) n the employer that you want to work for and prepare yourself for the interview. Have questions written on a piece of paper if you must and show them that youare capable and willng to work

Always follow up with a letter, phone call or both and the right door will open my dear.

I am sure that you worked hard studying and it will eventually pay off.

Blessings to you!

Karen