Drinking water and wieght loss

Options
Is it true that if you drink more water daily it will help you lose weight?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's about calorie intake
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you're consuming. But it is a good idea to keep hydrated!
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    No. It just helps you stay well hydrated.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    When I first get up, I feel like I am hungry but I am actually thirsty. So if I drink water and wait until I'm actually hungry a few hours later, I may save 300 calories or so. In that way, drinking more can help you create a calorie deficit.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

It will help you stay alive as opposed to dying of dehydration.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    So, yes and no.

No, simply just adding water in will not make you lose weight.

Yes, in my opinion, because for me I'm replacing the sugary teas and juices with it, which is cutting out calories. personally counting calories has made me see how many of my daily calories go towards just drinks alone, and its kind of shocking.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Not...it will help you stay hydrated which is important to your health. There's more to health and apps like MFP than just losing weight...some things are just about being healthy in general.

That said, a lot of people confuse hunger with thirst...so in that sense maybe. Also, staying hydrated is going to help your body function optimally, including your metabolism...
  • chrissymfred
    chrissymfred Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So, yes and no.

No, simply just adding water in will not make you lose weight.

Yes, in my opinion, because for me I'm replacing the sugary teas and juices with it, which is cutting out calories. personally counting calories has made me see how many of my daily calories go towards just drinks alone, and its kind of shocking.

I agree! I have replaced pop and juice with water, because I was getting so much sugar from just drinks every day. I still drink two cups of coffee with sugar most days and that is always my number one source of sugar in my diet. It took me a little bit to get used to drinking water, but it has made me feel better.

For me, the reduction in sugar has greatly reduced my arthritis pain...and that motivates me! I did not expect that at all, what a great surprise.

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    No.
  • missnolder890
    missnolder890 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It could help you lose water weight. When your dehydrated your body retains water. Some people to excess. So you can lose "weight" but not fat.
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I used to drink soda a lot and really sugary drinks, and I decided to replace it with water. I reduced hundreds of calories daily from my soda addiction. I do think it's helping me with my weight loss and plus I am being more hydrated. Before I used to think I was hungry a lot, and now I drink 500ml of water if I feel hungry after I will eat after. However, I often realize my body is just thirsty. Plus having clear or light yellow urine is important for everyone no one wants to be dehydrated which has its own problems. I used to work in retail and I wasn't drinking enough water, and I often felt faint. So yeah drink water!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

It's usually recommended because it can give you a feeling of fullness, causing you to eat less, and the body needs water to function.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I'm in the yes and no camp.

Increasing your water consumption alone won't cause you to lose fat, you need to be in a calorie deficit.

But water may help you stick to a calorie deficit, filling you up temporarily between meals etc. increased movement from peeing every 10 mins :tongue:

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    That said, a lot of people confuse hunger with thirst...so in that sense maybe. Also, staying hydrated is going to help your body function optimally, including your metabolism...

I've seen this one quoted so many times and it still doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just a speshul snowflake, but my body knows the difference between hunger and thirst. If I'm hungry and chug a big glass of water, now I'm just hungry and sloshy. Or maybe it applies differently to chronically dehydrated/under-hydrated people or something, but it's never done the trick for me.

I do agree 100% that it's a good thing to stay adequately hydrated, though. It won't do a thing for weight loss, but there are plenty of other good reasons.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I've seen this one quoted so many times and it still doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just a speshul snowflake, but my body knows the difference between hunger and thirst. If I'm hungry and chug a big glass of water, now I'm just hungry and sloshy. Or maybe it applies differently to chronically dehydrated/under-hydrated people or something, but it's never done the trick for me.

I do agree 100% that it's a good thing to stay adequately hydrated, though. It won't do a thing for weight loss, but there are plenty of other good reasons.

Thank you! It is the same for me! I do drink a lot of water, but drinking water does not fill me up. I am still hungry!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    If you replace higher calorie sodas and juices with water, it will help by lowering your overall calories.
    Just adding water on top of your current diet will not make you lose.

Before I counted calories, I started drinking a lot more water and wondered why I wasn't losing. XD
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Yeah, I never bought the whole thing with thirst and hunger.
  • cwalls1216
    cwalls1216 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 pounds over the last 3 years. Water hs played a big part in that. I drink about a gallon a day. It helps me control my appetite and not over eat.
  • deanaferrari
    deanaferrari Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am no expert - I can only tell you of my recent discovery: I've taken to drinking 4+ liters of water a day (mostly because I'm on a super-low calorie diet and I want to be sure I'm flushing the garbage from the bloodstream, liver, kidneys, etc.). On those few days in between - when I forget or don't have access to that much water (I can't drink it if it's not very hot or iced water), my weightloss halts - for days at a time. I don't think it actually "causes" weightloss -- but I think it helps a body that's already working on breaking down fats to get rid of it.
  • deanaferrari
    deanaferrari Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ah -- I should caution anyone who wants to drink that much water: You have to keep the electrolytes up and spread out your vitamin/mineral supplements over the course of the day - you'll flush too much from your system otherwise and cause health problems (I read up on it a bit when cautioned by docs).