Another alternative than Rye Bread...

Options
I usually have rye bread every day for a sandwich for lunch. I love my bread. Is there something out there that is good tasting that I could have that is not so high in calories. I am a starch person...Potatoes, Bread and Pasta...they are deadly...

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    sour dough is yummmmmmy
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Well, if it fits your calorie goal, I'd say I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's causing you to exceed your calorie goal, maybe use only 1 slice of bread instead of two?

I love a good caraway seed rye bread too.
  • tstevenson42
    tstevenson42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OMG...I love sour dough...No I don't really exceed my calories. I have set it for 1300 calories per day. I have my Saturday as my eat what I want day...I usually have steak and salad, baked potatoes, and crusty loaf and 3 to 4 glasses of red wine...ok sometimes more..My treat...
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    There are a few low cal breads (35/slice). That arent too bad tasting.

Personally, i just eat half the bread. I almost always eat open faced sandwiches now.
  • tstevenson42
    tstevenson42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks I am going to do that. try and eat an open face sandwich. Then I am only having 1 slice.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I love Danish style bread. Its light and airy and low in cals.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    1 slice is the way to go, I think.

The other alternative is to find a another lower calorie rye bread. You don't say what brand you eat, or if it's bakery bread. Orowheat makes a couple of different ryes for 70-80 cals per slice. They're softer than I personally prefer, but they have good rye flavor.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee makes a 45 calorie per slice bread that is good.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    The sandwich rounds are about 90-100 calories, and you can use them as a bun for hamburger/turkey burger too. Low calorie tortilla are another option. Today for lunch I had one with 1 slice of turkey and Dijon mustard. I use the La Tortilla Factory mini's which are 50 calories and I roll them up. My fav is multi grain take and bake loaves. You cut it yourself after you bake. I eat it just plain, or open faced sandwich.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Never substitute good bread for crappy bread. Enjoy the good stuff. Just less of it. :)

I love fresh baked
    Sourdough
    Rye
    Challah
    French Baguette
    Rosemary rolls
    and all of the great variety of breads available at my local fresh bread shop.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if it fits in your calories, theres no reason to look for an alternative.

sometimes i eat the good bread (like today for lunch)

sometimes i eat the natures own light bread (which is 40 cals/slice i think)

just depends on the situation.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You might find the little cocktail breads in your grocery stores, and they have a nice rye. They are really tiny, but they are also very thin, so if you eat multiple little sandwiches it still works out better. They are perfect for snacks. Ours are by the fancy cheeses here.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Never substitute good bread for crappy bread. Enjoy the good stuff. Just less of it. :)

I love fresh baked
    Sourdough
    Rye
    Challah
    French Baguette
    Rosemary rolls
    and all of the great variety of breads available at my local fresh bread shop.

YES!!!!!

...Potatoes, Bread and Pasta...they are deadly...

and no.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you like rye bread you might like pumpernickel. A traditional pumpernickel bread is made with a rye starter.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    whats ezekiel like
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    whats ezekiel like

Cardboard.
  • Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You can enjoy bread, just monitor other carbs. Find the rye with the most fiber. I found one with 3 g per slice. Also, you can just buy a wide loaf and cut one slice in half to make a sandwich. Open faced sandwiches are great, but less portable.