Training Idea, just wanting feedback

Hi All,

Thinking of proper hitting the gym and loosing this weight and getting my goal. Here is my idea:

Monday- 45 mins cardio - tredmill on a 4 incline , 25 min strength training on shoulders, chest and tricepts.

Tues - hour of cardio

Weds - 45 mins cardio - tredmill on a 4 incline, 25 mins strength training on core, bicepts, back.

Thurs - hour of cardio

Friday - 35 mins cardio - tredmill on a 4 incline, 25 mins leg day.

Weekend rest,

What you guys think ?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I think that's a ridiculous amount of cardio and overall an inefficient plan.
    Try a 3x weem full body program consisting mostly of compound lifts, add some cardio if you'd like. Maybe one day moderate steady state, & a quick finisher after 2 of your strength days.
  • wrighty11146
    wrighty11146 Posts: 74 Member
    Okay, the tues and thurs was mainly to get me out of the house but I can do some fitness at home using xbox fitness mossa fight which does full body training.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Why do you do biceps twice?
  • wrighty11146
    did I put them down twice? monday is triceps and weds is biceps
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    if your goal is to lose weight, that happens in the kitchen not in the gym. all that cardio only helps a tiny bit, spend some of that cardio time planning and prepping healthy meals instead.
  • TavistockToad
    did I put them down twice? monday is triceps and weds is biceps

My mistake, the t must have distracted me!
  • wrighty11146
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    if your goal is to lose weight, that happens in the kitchen not in the gym. all that cardio only helps a tiny bit, spend some of that cardio time planning and prepping healthy meals instead.

Im already on that :), using MFP to log everything I can.

Im guessing the common consensus is less cardio more muscle
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Push Pull Legs is a very common split set up so it looks good to me.

One thing I might suggest though is moving shoulders to leg day. There's nothing bad about the way you have it set up especially because some shoulder exercises work your triceps, but it just seems like Monday has a lot going on working 3 muscle groups.

Overall though it looks like a good break down just make sure you have a good routine to go with that split.

I agree you don't need that much cardio but if you enjoy doing that much there is no reason not to. Just be careful about how that's effecting your calorie intake.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited January 2016
    You'd be better served doing a structured full body lifting program 3x per week...it should take you about an hour. From there, hit the cardio for 60 minutes or so on your non lifting days. Spending 25 minutes doing some resistance training really isn't going to do much for you.

I do cardio on my lifting days as well, but I do it in the AM and I lift in the PM...I like to be able to give 100% to whatever I'm putting my effort into and that's not going to happen if I'm spending 45 minutes doing cardio and then crawling under a barbell immediately afterwards.

I'm a cyclist so I do a lot of cardio, but not to the detriment of my resistance training...even when I'm training for an event I still get in resistance work, albeit the programming is different.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    why is everyone hating so hard on 5 days of cardio? especially when it sounds like it's just going to be walking on a treadmill with a slight incline or maybe some elliptical work. i HAAAAATE cardio and yet right now i'm running 4x a week and will be for another 8 weeks. 5 days of steady state isn't a ridiculous amount in and of itself and paired with that moderate lifting program isn't not like recovery is going to be impaired.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    i would suggest that you find a good beginner program like strong lifts or all pro beginner, and then do some cardio on your off days...
  • wrighty11146
    DavPul wrote: »
    why is everyone hating so hard on 5 days of cardio? especially when it sounds like it's just going to be walking on a treadmill with a slight incline or maybe some elliptical work. i HAAAAATE cardio and yet right now i'm running 4x a week and will be for another 8 weeks. 5 days of steady state isn't a ridiculous amount in and of itself and paired with that moderate lifting program isn't not like recovery is going to be impaired.

Thanks for the defence haha, it woukd actually be running for the full period, maybe with one break. Im doing the cardio as I enjoy it but its to help increase my calorie intake for the day,
  • TavistockToad
    OP, what are your goals?
  • wrighty11146
    OP, what are your goals?

Mainly loose weight, and tone but not extreamly
  • TavistockToad
    OP, what are your goals?

Do that much cardio if you enjoy it. But a decent strength training routine will help more with the 'toning'.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    Hi All,

Thinking of proper hitting the gym and loosing this weight and getting my goal. Here is my idea:

Monday- 45 mins cardio - tredmill on a 4 incline , 25 min strength training on shoulders, chest and tricepts.

Tues - hour of cardio

Weds - 45 mins cardio - tredmill on a 4 incline, 25 mins strength training on core, bicepts, back.

Thurs - hour of cardio

Weekend rest,

What you guys think ?
    But do you eat a calorie deficit?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • wrighty11146
    OP, what are your goals?

Do that much cardio if you enjoy it. But a decent strength training routine will help more with the 'toning'.

Aye, thats why im thinking doing mossa fight training on the tues and Thurs instead, its free on xbox fitness and its enjoyable, i
  • wrighty11146
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hi All,

Tues - hour of cardio

Thurs - hour of cardio

Weekend rest,

What you guys think ?
    But do you eat a calorie deficit?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I have been doing. My diary is open if you would like to see, I do try to log as accurately as possible
  • complexicality
    complexicality Posts: 3 Member
    Hi @wrighty11146
    I use XB Fitness as well. Add me when you get a chance!

GT: x0Lexicality0x